AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Townhouse, 16 x 13 living room open to kitchen on right side and foyer behind, $700.00 maximum budget, 95% HT (35% dvd's, 60% tv, 5% music channels), 5% music (cd's and radio), looking for good deep bass not necessarily loud, don't want to piss off the neighbors. I currently have a Definitive Technology Supercube I, one week into my 30 day satisfaction guarantee, got it open box for $600.00. I've been told the supercubes are overpriced. My question is for the $600.00 to $700.00 can I get better for my situation?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For $700 max I would get either one of the following:

- Hsu VTF2-MK3

- eD A3-300 with Upgraded Driver

- SVS PB12-NSD

- SVS PC12-NSD

EDIT: The DefTech site indicates that the Supercube 1 goes down to 13Hz, but they didn't indicate a what dB point. Not sure how it would compare to the ones I recommended but most people would agree that for $700 max, those would be the subwoofers to look at.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Svs

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov /forum/post/15584005

For about $729 you can throw in the HSU VTF-3 MK3 in that mix.

He can put that into the mix if he doesn't have to pay sales tax, otherwise it would put the cost to almost $800.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
What about the AV123 subs, are those not even being considered?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton007 /forum/post/15583836

Townhouse, 16 x 13 living room open to kitchen on right side and foyer behind, $700.00 maximum budget, 95% HT (35% dvd's, 60% tv, 5% music channels), 5% music (cd's and radio), looking for good deep bass not necessarily loud, don't want to piss off the neighbors. I currently have a Definitive Technology Supercube I, one week into my 30 day satisfaction guarantee, got it open box for $600.00. I've been told the supercubes are overpriced. My question is for the $600.00 to $700.00 can I get better for my situation?

That is a very good deal. Unless you have issues with it, I would keep the SC1. Even though DT gives an indication of their true FR vs their stated low end, it is still a very capable sub and hard to beat for its size at $600.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/15584494

What about the AV123 subs, are those not even being considered?

With the recent amplifier and hum issues (although these are said to be resolved by now), I think he might not be ready to jump on the MFW-15 wagon just yet. Might also be the same reason why people are not giving recommendations on it. Hopefully, it will turn out for the better for AV123.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
svs

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked this in the Def Tech thread but I figured I'd ask here too, different ears and eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton007 /forum/post/15333782

Do the hsu or svs outperform the SCIII? I only ask because I got my SCIII open box for $400.00 at Best Buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/15334014

Uhhhhhhh, yeah. By a large margin. Don't feel bad. I got a SC II (which is bigger than the III) as my first subwoofer with my DT's, and was (am) reasonably happy. It does okay in my 5.1 setup in my family room, which is never run at reference levels. However, for only a couple hundred more, I have gotten two AV123 MFW-15s, which could eat SuperCubes I/II/III for breakfast and not even skip a beat. They're the kind of subs that slam you in the chest and leave a big dumb grin on your face. Even though the SVS, HSU, AV123, Outlaw subs are typically larger and arguably less attractive than the supercubes, price per performance with internet direct subs can't be beat unless you build your own.

Ok, I'm now eying the SVS PC12-NSD, I like the looks, very attractive. Will that outperform my $600.00 SC-I?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton007 /forum/post/15587094

I asked this in the Def Tech thread but I figured I'd ask here too, different ears and eyes.

Ok, I'm now eying the SVS PC12-NSD, I like the looks, very attractive. Will that outperform my $600.00 SC-I?

Take a good look at this chart. Tom has tested hundreds of subwoofers, many of them for Sound&Vision magazine.

The SC I ranks 82nd, the SC III ranks 140th.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank_carter/Nousaine.htm

Meanwhile the SVS 20-39 CS ranked 10th. The PC-12 NSD should rank similarly to the one Tom tested in the rankings (the 20-39 CS).

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton007 /forum/post/15583836

SVS PC-12 NSD.

You may also want to take a look at this chart. SC I ranked 82nd.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/15587285

Take a good look at this chart. Tom has tested hundreds of subwoofers, many of them for Sound&Vision magazine.

The SC I ranks 82nd, the SC III ranks 140th.

Meanwhile the SVS 20-39 CS ranked 10th. The PC-12 NSD should rank similarly to the one Tom tested in the rankings (the 20-39 CS).

You are misrepresenting TNs chart. This is not a ranking chart. It is a list in descending order of average output over a wide bass FR. Since many tested the same, they are positioned in the list by one of the narrow range measurements.

The CS20-39 measured had an external amp and doesn't state if it is an ISD, NSD, Plus.... So you can't make this as a comparison. You can use the PB12-NSD which has a 2dB higher wide FR average, but has a narrower +/- 2 dB range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.