AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a low end BenQ W1080ST. It has pretty good colors out of the box but the white uniforms on my SF Giants are so bright that you can't see any contours in the texture of the cloth. What is the best way to tone down the whites with some simple adjustments? Available controls are:

Brightness

Contrast

Advanced:

Color Temperature Fine Tuning

R,G,B

Gain

Offset

Advanced:

Color Management

R,G,B,Y,C,M

Hue

Gain

Saturation

Hopefully I can just make some changes in some of these and the whites can be tamed. I know I could upset the color balance some but I can always hit reset if your suggestions don't work. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Sit and pout.

Read this article about what your options are.

Step one ... go get a test disc and follow the instructions ... a cheap solution with real benefits if you do it right,

regards

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I do have a DVE disk and will take a look at adjusting the contrast and brightness with that. Howevr, I've been through this with my 12000 MKII and that technique didn't solve the problem. I'm sure this can be adjusted as it hasn't been mentioned on the W1070 thread which has close to 10,000 posts on it. There must be a standard reason why white clips like this, if that is really what is happening, besides adjusting contrast and brightness. For instance, I suspect the white is on the verge of becoming slightly creamy, something I have seen before.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So last night I watched Life of Pi on BD and there were no over driven whites. After the movie was finished I switched back to Directv and watched the live SF Giant game. Same problem. Could not see any texture in the white uniforms. Does this say anything?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

TVs are not smart enough to be broken on some movies you watch and not others.

If the projector is set up correctly, (the big IF) then you are seeing what you are supposed to. The problem .... if it actually is a problem, lies elsewhere.

How do you know what you are supposed to see in terms of detail and what you are not supposed to see?

Regards

·
Registered
6,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB  /t/1467473/help-me-with-taming-my-whites/0_100#post_23187560

So last night I watched Life of Pi on BD and there were no over driven whites. After the movie was finished I switched back to Directv and watched the live SF Giant game. Same problem. Could not see any texture in the white uniforms. Does this say anything?

Define switched back to Direct TV. Are you using an AVR, a switch or 2 different inputs on the projector? Is the DT box HD or SD? If using an AVR are both inputs set up to pass through with no alterations of the input signal? AVRs typically have picture modes and adjustment that are unique to each input and you do NOT want you AVR messing with the input signal at all. If using an AVR are you using HDMI for both the BRP and DT box?

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1467473/help-me-with-taming-my-whites#post_23187859

Define switched back to Direct TV. Are you using an AVR, a switch or 2 different inputs on the projector? Is the DT box HD or SD? If using an AVR are both inputs set up to pass through with no alterations of the input signal? AVRs typically have picture modes and adjustment that are unique to each input and you do NOT want you AVR messing with the input signal at all. If using an AVR are you using HDMI for both the BRP and DT box?

I use an AVR for HDMI input from a DirecTv HR34 HD receiver and a Samsung BD player. The receiver has only one setting for HDMI pass through which is set to on. The HDMI output of the AVR goes to a Denon 602 Video Processor which does have seperate video setting capability for each input. I will check that. The Denon is a very good processor and greatly improves the picture on the projector. I don't think I am doing any picture tuning on the Denon as it doesn't have any color mgmt, as I recall. It may have brightness and contrast adjustments. I will check those. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts