AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone here can tell me what the issue is?

I just replaced the lamp about 2 months ago. All was fine until about a week ago.

Now the Red Lamp Light on the front of the unit comes on at random times. Sometimes it will be fine for two days and then like tonight, it came on twice in a few hours but was fine for another 2 hours after that.

The light turns on solid (not blinking) and the picture goes black. If I press the power button, the unit turns back on (red light goes off, green light comes on) and the picture comes back.

The TV is plugged into a good quality APC surge protector and power at the house is very clean and consistent.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/20840857

I'm hoping someone here can tell me what the issue is?

I just replaced the lamp about 2 months ago. All was fine until about a week ago.

Now the Red Lamp Light on the front of the unit comes on at random times. Sometimes it will be fine for two days and then like tonight, it came on twice in a few hours but was fine for another 2 hours after that.

The light turns on solid (not blinking) and the picture goes black. If I press the power button, the unit turns back on (red light goes off, green light comes on) and the picture comes back.

The TV is plugged into a good quality APC surge protector and power at the house is very clean and consistent.

Anyone have any ideas?

Did you get the lamp from Mitsubishi? What model TV do you have?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20842989

Did you get the lamp from Mitsubishi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/20843031

No.

Try a Mitsubishi lamp. If that doesn't work, call Mits service.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
From Mits FAQ page http://support.mitsubishi-tv.com/faq

Quote:
The Status light on the front of my HDTV is a constant red

If you receive a Solid Red LED indicator on the front of your HDTV you should first unplug the AC Cord from the wall power outlet and wait for 60 seconds before reapplying power to the HDTV.

If after several attempts the HDTV has not fully powered on and the LED on the front of the HDTV is still Solid Red you may want to reseat the lamp.

If reseating the lamp has not resolved the issue then contact Mitsubishi Consumer Relations to order a replacement lamp.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin
Can someone with Mits experience on what would cause this please chime in?

(no, I'm not replacing the bulb - the bulb is fine)
Someone just did. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin
Can someone with Mits experience on what would cause this please chime in?

(no, I'm not replacing the bulb - the bulb is fine)
How do you know the bulb is fine?

·
Registered
572 Posts
when the TV powers off and the red led is on, check for an error code.

press and hold the activity and channel down buttons for 5 seconds, then count the blinks. it will be a 2 digit code, such as 3 and 4.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD
when the TV powers off and the red led is on, check for an error code.

press and hold the activity and channel down buttons for 5 seconds, then count the blinks. it will be a 2 digit code, such as 3 and 4.
this will be my next step -- now to find the original remote

It is odd how I can watch TV for an hour, red light comes on - I can power the unit back on a minute later and then it works fine for 4 hours. I never even unplugged it. This is what happened tonight.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/20845183

this will be my next step -- now to find the original remote

It is odd how I can watch TV for an hour, red light comes on - I can power the unit back on a minute later and then it works fine for 4 hours. I never even unplugged it. This is what happened tonight.

Why does it seem you're not taking others suggestions and refusing to believe it's the lamp? Unless you have a replacement lamp and install it correctly how can you rule it out? Just because you bought a new lamp doesn't mean it's good or that you installed it correctly.

Augerhandle even posted an excerpt from the Mits website. Then you reply as if he doesn't know what he's was talking about.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing against anyone here (I appreciate that you want to help) but I was looking for help from someone with a DLP repair background might have come across this before. I have an Electrical Engineering background from the symptoms, and based on my EE experience in general, it seems unlikely this is a simple 'replace the lamp' solution... this is why I was looking for assistance from experienced tv techs.

Lamps typically work or they do not. I've replaced 2 in this unit and when they died, they notify you with a loud pop (lamp breaks physically) and the lamp is dead.

The error code is 34 'Lamp abnormality' but this is likely not the root cause - I suspect it might be the ballast or the 3300UF caps on the power supply board are bad - as described by others on other forums.

I'll be pulling apart the TV in a few days unless anyone with hands-on experience with this issue tells me otherwise?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I too have a hard time understanding why the lamp light will come on, yet the lamp will still work. My 65831 has gone through 3 lamps and none of them popped and are usable for short periods of time. They are not good lamps, but they aren't dead either.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I have what I think is a resolution...

Symptoms were pointing to a power issue. I suspected a sudden low power issue was not keeping the lamp lit - this led me to suspect the ballast. Since I like to eliminate anything in the 'chain' that is easy before moving on to more involved troubleshooting (aka, tearing a TV apart); I decided to plug the TV directly into the wall, eliminating the surge protector (a high-quality APC unit).

After 2 days without a surge protector, no red led issue.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mine is plugged directly into the wall. Just wait. Mine will stay on for 1-9 hrs. before red light shut down. Unplug wait and repeat for over a month now. The bulb isn't good, but it isn't destroyed and is not visibly dim.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
A reported fix for code 34 can be found here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=979952

Apparently, several years ago a company in a certain oriental country acquired stolen plans for a capacitor design. Unfortunately, the plans were incomplete, or otherwise inaccurate, and they built defective capacitors, which were sold on the open market. Several companies have had problems with their electronics because of this.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20868579

A reported fix for code 34 can be found here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=979952

Apparently, several years ago a company in a certain oriental country acquired stolen plans for a capacitor design. Unfortunately, the plans were incomplete, or otherwise inaccurate, and they built defective capacitors, which were sold on the open market. Several companies have had problems with their electronics because of this.

Yes, this is likely what the problem is with Run4two's TV and 'maybe' mine... since I'm no longer seeing any issue since I removed my surge protector I'm not rushing to do it. I may do this next week just to check since it is an easy fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.