AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased and installed a new Mitsubish HDTV STB and hooked it to my Sony 57XBR10W.

I'm having a serious problem with video drop outs. The picture looks great while it is there, but it frequently blacks out for a second or two and then comes right back.

At first I thought it was a signal strength issue, so I spent some time tweaking my dish to get the best signal I could.

On Sat A (101) I get in the low 90's, on Sat B (119) I get 60-70. On terrestrial I am getting 100 on the one HD channel we have in my area.

It doesn't matter if I am watching 199 or 509, the local HD channel (CBS), or any other DSS channel. They all exhibit drop outs. I think that pretty much indicates it's not a signal strength issue.

Using my progressive DVD I can input into the same input I am using for HD and I experience no drop outs whatsoever. I don't think it is my Tv.

That really only leaves me with two things that I can think of. Either it's a defective STB, or there is an interaction problem with my HD monitor and the STB.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I searched the forum and found people with similar problems with the Panasonic STB, but nothing seemed to be resolved. I couldn't find anyone posting a similar problem with the Mitsubishi STB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing - I've noticed that when watching the HD demo loop, it basically drops out in the same places - almost always when there is a screen change (i.e. say they are moving from one movie to the next in the previews). It seems to be pretty consistent as to where it drops out. I really can;t figure out the significance of this.

I called Mitsubishi and they told me first to realign my dish (I'd already done that). I pointed out I was getting the same results on terrestrial with a 100 signal. He said then I should probably take the receiver in for testing. I'm not thrilled about leaving it in the shop for awhile but will do so if I can;t figure out anything else to do.

I also tried leaving it powered off for a long time (so it was cool). Makes no difference if the STB is warm or cool. In both cases it still drops out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My first Mits box was marked as a "demo" unit. I did not discover this until I got it home. Since I had been on the waiting list for months, I was too anxious and hooked it up anyway. It exhibited the exact same behavior as you describe whenever looking at material output from the box in 1080i. I took it back and got a different unit. Problem solved.

So, it must be your box. Demand a new one.

To add a little more on what I observed, the picture would freeze for a second or so and then resume motion. Sometimes, you could tell the box was about to freeze because the soundtrack would get off just before. It was as if the box could not keep up with the digital data stream and had to reset now and then.

Good luck,

Mike...

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit our home theater here .

[This message has been edited by MSaemisch (edited 09-06-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.