AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me with your suggestions. The Samsung HT-AS730ST Home Theater in a Box I bought in March of 2010 is dying a slow death. I bought this system to pair with my 52" Samsung HD LCD TV. I'm going to buy the Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver to replace the failed Samsung receiver (unless I receive suggestion to the contrary that makes sense). My living room is 23 ft X 12 ft. TV viewing is across the 12 foot side.

So, I have the 5 speakers and one sub woofer that came with the HT-AS730ST HTib.

And I have a pair of these (Re-30), presently being powered by a Cambridge Audio Azur 350A integrated amplifier (2 channel) for my stereo enjoyment.

I also have two Bose 161s.

With all this existing equipment, I have an additional speaker budget of $500 to get some kind of awesome home theater sound. For now, I will use the Samsung powered sub-woofer because when my Samsung AV-R730 was working right, the bass from this sub was just fine.

What would you do?

Oh, I'm using an PS3 for bluray enjoyment (and boy do I enjoy bluray moves.) I also play my Cowon D2 and Creative Zen Vision:M through the AUX on my Cambridge Amp.

I love music more than videos, but I have two sets of in-ear canal headphones and two sets of regular headphones for that ultimate listening experience (for me).

Thank-you very much for the time you took to help me out.

Craig Bryant

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramasita
Please help me with your suggestions.

My living room is 23 ft X 12 ft. TV viewing is across the 12 foot side.

So, I have the 5 speakers and one sub woofer that came with the HT-AS730ST HTib.

And I have a pair of these (Re-30), presently being powered by a Cambridge Audio Azur 350A integrated amplifier (2 channel) for my stereo enjoyment.

I also have two Bose 161s.

With all this existing equipment, I have an additional speaker budget of $500 to get some kind of awesome home theater sound. For now, I will use the Samsung powered sub-woofer because when my Samsung AV-R730 was working right, the bass from this sub was just fine.

What would you do?
Craig,

I agree you have a mix-mash. Here's some things to consider.

Everyone agrees that speakers in a home theater setup should timbre match. They don't have to necessarily be the same model, but they should at least be from the same manufacturer, preferably in the same model line. I don't think trying to add to what you have is the best way to go.

What would I do, constrained to $500? I'd really consider tossing everything you've got and replacing it with an Energy 5.1 Take Classic system . It has gotten very good reviews, both from professional reviewers and from customers.

The Onky0 608 is a very good receiver. I just got an 808 yesterday and so far I really like it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Idea Doug! Thanks.

That would allow me to buy an inexpensive receiver for my bedroom and put some of the "throw-away" speakers in there. I have a 26" Sony HDTV mounted to a wall in my bedroom. I like the idea of the Energy speakers.

Craig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts