AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is the house I am purchasing, I have a 125 inch elite screen with a short throw projector. (Benq HT2150ST)
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hang my projector?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,253 Posts
You have picked a projector that has no lens shift. That means it needs to be centered to the screen and at a specific height above the screen, One source says 2.5 % of the screen height above the top edge of the screen image.
Next it looks like a drop ceiling you will need a mount with a down pole and you can run the down pole though the ceiling tile with the ceiling bracket portion of the mount attached to solid material above the ceiling tiles.

You may want to mount the projector before the screen and then mount the screen accordingly. You can't tilt the projector up or down and you can't swivel it from side to side. If you do the image won't be a perfect rectangle.

bottom line you picked one of the hardest models to get exactly right using a fixed position ceiling mount.

If the left hand of the duct work is too far to the left you may not be able to center the projector and screen in the room,

You may want to consider a table mounted orientation of the projector just below the bottom edge of the screen image. Fit the seating behind the table. My quick look at the projector throw distance calculator says the lens needs to be 6 ft 3 inches to 7ft 6 inches from a 125 inch diagonal screen and just 1 inch below the screen image.

Now take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Looking at the duct work I think you could probably relocate that one in the way if you want to remodel your ceiling.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Echoing everything that BIG says.

Even if you want to mount the projector from the ceiling, start with a table top setup to get things the way that you want it. Temporarily set up your screen in a location that is close to where you want it. Use sawhorses, milk crates, boxes, a table, or anything else that is handy to position the projector exactly where it needs to be to fill the screen. (The picture should be upside down for this part of the setup.) With short throw projectors, there is not a lot of flexibility with the mounting location.

Now, figure out the inverted projector position. It will need to hang from the ceiling exactly above the table top position. For the height, carefully measure the distance of the lens in relation to either the centerline of the screen, or the bottom edge of the screen. Flip that upside down and use that as the distance above the centerline of the screen, or in relation to the top edge of the screen. Once the projector is mounted, you won't easily be able to change this position, so make any necessary final adjustments to the screen position before you permanently attach it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks for the quick responses.
The duct that runs the full length of the room is dead center, and the screen itself, the casing can only move an inch to the left or right. It's a tight squeeze.
Do they make any kind of mounting kit/housing that will wrap around the ductwork?
The ceiling is a false drop ceiling, I should be able to drill directly into wood on either side of the ductwork.
I am moving to a new house and this is how I currently have the projector set up. (See image)
Thanks again for the responses, love this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
it wouldn't be too hard to do this for a couple of feet along the duct, then skin with 3/4 hardwood plywood. Attach the projector mount to the box.

My Dad gives great advice in many situations. In this situation, I think he would say," If you can't hide it, feature it!". I imagine absorption material on either side of the trunkline. Then, build a soffet around the trunk. Then build an awesome ornate wood box to hold the projector.
I've taken several years off working on my room, and want to replace my current wood mount with something more ornate. I'm thinking stacked hexagonal wood trim lawyers to make a start shaped ceiling medallion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to save head room I would ladder down on each side of the duct then span under the duct with only 3/4 furniture grade plywood. Attach the mount to the plywood.
This is what I will attempt to do.
One more thing, do you have a mount you recommend that will sit the projector as high as possible? The one I have now makes it hang down about 6-7 inches, if I can eliminate that extra space I wouldn't be able to hit my head on it...
Thanks for your help. We close 2/16/18 I will post pictures once I have everything done.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Another option is to locate the projector further back, rather than under the soffit. It will need to be low enough so that the beam can project under the soffit without casting a shadow on the screen. Directly above the seating area is often a good location, since you can't stand and hit your head where the seats are.

Edit: Disregard what I just said above. I was focused on general projector mounting options. That would apply to most situations, where a soffit usually goes across the room. I had forgotten that in this specific build, the soffit runs down the middle, perpendicular to the screen, and you have a short throw projector that requires a specific mounting location.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
everything Dave said but you should be able to go into the setup menu and pick table versus ceiling mounting orientation. New out of the box it is usually assuming a table top orientation,
This is all correct, but when doing temporary positioning measurements for an eventual ceiling mount, I prefer to have the orientation set for the final installation configuration, even though the picture would be upside down during the testing. Theoretically, changing the orientation will just flip the picture and it will be in the same spot. In practice, it may shift up or down. Positioning is critical for short throw projectors (especially ultra short throw projectors), so I'd rather play it safe and eliminate as many variables as possible. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts