AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned on the set to watch Monday Night Football last night-noticed that the picture was visibly grainier and less sharp. Reviewed other cable channels, including those known to look pretty good (live local news, shopping channels, etc) with the same disappointing results. Switched to a hi-def feed, and I was dismayed to discover that a hi-def program on PBS I had watched just a few nights ago was also less sharp and detailed. Popped in a DVD-same result. I had watched Gladiator the night before, and the picture was amazing vivid and detailed, almost hi-def like. Now it seemed slightly out of focus and grainy. Even a Bug's Life Collector's edition (a reference DVD if ever there was one) was less detailed and considerable softer than I remember it looking. It looked as if my input had suddenly changed from 480i to, say 400 lines or less. I checked my settings (movie mode, contrast 46, brightness 43, color 36, tint even) and nothing seemed amiss. Popped in the Sound & Vision DVD, and ran through the video settings once again-no change.

Any ideas as to what's happened? I've had the set for just 2 weeks now, so an exchange is certainly an option. Thanks in advance to any and all for your input.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Did you look in advanced settings? Maybe the noise reduction setting got turned on or something.

::edit::

Make sure the dimmer function is off also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The advanced settings were the first thing I checked-everything off, including the dimmer. What's got me concered is that all sources are affected-the hi-def cable box (thru both the ant1 feed and the component video feed) and video2/component (DVD) as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't have any idea what happened.Could be any number of things..Just exchange it.Thats what I did. Pete

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like a service call or a return may be in order.

I will note that on SD cable that when my cable connection cam slightly lose that I noticed a big drop in PQ. Snugged it up and all was well. In your case it sounds like the problem is on all inputs so it is not the same situation.

·
Registered
254 Posts
maybe a cable or something is causing interference? I would check cables. Remove all the cables except the dvd, test the dvd. Remove the dvd and pop in the satelite or whatever you use. Test all video inputs 1 at a time and see if there is any difference. That's where I would start.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How about convergence? If your convergence isn't rock solid tight then it can appear blurry.

Don't hitachi's have some kind of magic focus or auto convergence you can run?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update-the picture now seems fine with cable, so I've concluded that at least with cable, this was a temporary signal strength problem. With DVD, it seems to come and go. I always watch DVD's in movie mode, and I'm beginning to suspect Mfusick may have hit the nail on the head-is it possible for 3:2 pulldown to cut in and out, despite having it set on movie mode? Or could it be that my player is the culprit (Pioneer DV-626D, 3rd generation interlaced machine)? Tuesday night, the picture was great with DVD-last night, it was back to the out of focus look. Any ideas, guys? Many thanks for your input so far.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by padreken
...Tuesday night, the picture was great with DVD-last night, it was back to the out of focus look...
I'm assuming you mean with the same DVD? DVD quality varies extremely from disc to disc depending on transfer, director's intent, etc. etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update-I picked up a Panasonic RP-82 at Fry's today (was pleasantly surprised to find these at a B&M outlet, I understand they're in short supply. I'll try this player in both progressive and interlaced modes this weekend to see if the problem is duplicated. If all's well, I obviously needed a new DVD player anyway. If not, the set gets exchanged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.