AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the OEM version of WinXP. I thought I was installing over my WinXP RC2, but I now have three options on my multi boot menu.

How do I edit or change this to eliminate the 3 option menu to just 2?

I have three partitions on my system. I formatted the WinXP RC2 partition to FAT32. (for HiPix storage) I just need to eliminate that partition on the multi-boot menu.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Scott,

Boot up in WinMe and look for boot.ini file on your "C" drive. Edit the boot.ini file by deleting the WinXP RC2 label. Save it and reboot. I would make a back of copy of your original boot.ini file just in case you make an error. It sounds as though you had 3 partitions from reading your post with ME on C, XP RC2 on D and XP OEM on E and you already formated D to get rid of your RC2 so unless someone else knows more, nothing else is required but editing the boot.ini file.

Rick

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi WScott:

___Under XP Pro, you can edit the boot.ini from inside of the System Properties --> Advanced --> Startup and Recovery (Settings) --> System Startup --> Edit … and remove the Win XP RCx lines. I am not sure by your post what you have on what partition but I am assuming you installed XP final over top of a formatted XP RC2 partition? The boot.ini is always on the primary “C:†in a std. built HTPC and that would not have changed after you formatted the D: or E: partitions of course. I would also rename the bootup choices to something a little cleaner like Win XP and Win ME myself …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both xcel and fujmeistr !!

I will edit boot.ini

I could not remember the file name.

excel,