AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to set up a multi-zoned system in my newly renovated house and I need help figuring out what to get to distribute everything. Should I go with a multi receiver set-up or is there something else I should be considering. FYI, I am using Orb speakers for almost all of the speakers. I have 4 Zones:

Zone 1 - 7.1 Surround

Zone 2 - 4 ch Stereo

Zone 3 - 2 ch Stereo

Zone 4 - 4 ch Stereo

If I have to, I can combine Zones 3 & 4 into one Zone 3.

I want to be able to remote control all zones by either an Ipad OR Android Opp system.

I would like to stay under $1300 if possible, but if I need to, I can stretch that a bit.

I have not owned a network receiver, so I am really lost when it comes to the new network capabilities.

I saw that the Denon receivers have the capability to assign different channels to their own zone, is that correct? Can I use an Ipod or Android App to handle the volume control of each of these zones, as well as the source assignments to each zone? Are there other brands capable of doing this or something better?

Worst case, I realize I may have limited capabilities to source selection in each zone, I would just like to know what those limitations are.

Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
How much flexibility do you want in those zones? Obviously you want on/off and volume control - do you want different sources playing in different zones at the same time?

Remote control via iPad can be done, but ask what you're actually controlling. What sources are you going to use or want? The receiver (amp) gets you source selection and volume control but that's it. Many network receivers have built-in "Internet radio sources" in addition to DLNA / Airplay support.

There are AVRs with 3-zone support, which will likely still require some additional amps to fully populate (not a big deal). More than 3 total, you'll want to look into "whole house audio" systems.

But yes, a good network-connected AVR, perhaps some external amps (~$100/each), you can certainly do that within your budget... (assuming you already have the speakers, though!)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
avr's that commonly support zones 2,3,4 only support within a 2 channel context, none support over 2channels..

if you want to multiple channels over 4-8 zones you're looking a distribution amp between player and avr..

if you want radio tunes only then a network avr will do that job nicely..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Jeff and mystic_sniper28.

It would be nice to have different sources playing in different rooms. If that is going to make or break me on cost though, I can live without it. Sources would mainly be Direct TV, computer, android phone, Ipad, blu-ray player, and any built-in capabilities of the receiver that you mentioned like Pandora. Also, I will have a network TV, so that could actually be a source too if it has some network capabilities that the receiver doesn't.

I have decided I will definitely narrow it down to 3 zones.

Zone 1 - 7.1 Surround (or 9.1/9.2 would be really nice too

Zone 2 - 4 Speaker Stereo

Zone 3 - 6 Speaker Stereo

One question i have is if I get into using additional stereo amps to power other zones, can I still control those easily with an android or ipad? Basically, I want to be sitting outside in zone 3, pull out my android phone or Ipad, change the song playing, and turn it up. At the same time I want to be able to turn down the football game playing in zone 1 from the same remote device.

Could you recommend a receiver/amp set-up for this?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisyust /forum/post/20900915

One question i have is if I get into using additional stereo amps to power other zones, can I still control those easily with an android or ipad? Basically, I want to be sitting outside in zone 3, pull out my android phone or Ipad, change the song playing, and turn it up.

And that's the big difference between a multi-zone receiver and a whole house audio system. Yes, the mobile app for the receiver will (likely, check before buying a particular brand/model) be able to select sources on zone 2&3 and adjust volume. But "change the song playing" depends on the source of that audio. If it's a network service built into the receiver, probably - if it's coming from an external source - you'll need at least another app for that...

Apple remote for iTunes, other apps for other music sources. iRule or other general-purpose iPad-as-universal-remote may be useful, too.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, assuming I have apps to control my sources, what would you suggest for the receiver(s) and amps?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts