AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preliminary info: I have a Toshiba 42H81 and a Hughes E86 receiver connected through component cables. I finally got my oval dish (DIRECTV) in a good spot, and I now receive ch. 198 and 199. I have been getting some awesome CBS HDTV viewing OTA for some time.

So here's the problem... I am convinced I do not see hte full 16:9 image when watching SOME high-def programming.

As an example, right now there is a soccer game on HDNet, and I cannot read the score in the upper left-hand corner. I seem to see all the way to the top of the screen, but the left side is cut off... significantly. My E86 receiver is set to 1080i. In fact, I guess when I set it to 1080i output, it automatically feeds the signal only through the component cables. I can't imagine where I have an incorrect setting on the receiver, but I'm posting here in case that's it. Some of the settings do nothing when I'm viewing an HDTV broadcast (e.g., changing to "cropped," "stretched," etc. does nothing, because that's only for altering 4:3 images.

Now, I'll toss in the TV info. The main way I monkey with the image on the TV is to select my pic size (full, theater wide modes, etc.)... Well, that says "Not Available" when it gets a 1080i source (I assume that's the reason). So I cannot change that.

Does anyone have any insights? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It sounds like an overscan problem. HDNET really puts some info way in the corners.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...hiba_tips.html has info on adjusting screen geometry but it takes careful work and can be difficult for the inexperienced. Professional ISF calibration is costly but produces great results and you might be able to get a guided experience in doing a little geometry tweaking.

·
Super Moderator
18,523 Posts
D-

I have two insights for you:

1) Overscan. Just like a regular TV, a lot of HDTVs employ a little overscan. If a broadcaster puts the scorebox or bug too close to the edge, some of it disappears off of some sets. You can have an ISF calibrator come out and optimize your set. That'll reduce some of the overscan. Never a bad idea to have your set calibrated, anyway.

2) HDNet. I've seen a couple of posts here and noticed, myself, that this tends to happen with HDNet's taped replays. I don't see it on live coverage. If you never noticed this on CBS HD and you don't notice it on HBO-HD or any of the basketball on 198, then it could very well just be an HDNet replay issue.

Doc

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I can confirm an overscan with the Tosiba when using the Colorstream inputs. I dont know why this is, but my picture is shifted upwards considerablly when using the componet inputs.

However, mine seems to be centered, not to the left of right.

As for the TV pic size modes, for somereason Toshiba chose not to support pic size options with 1080i input. This is too bad, as the Toshiba has IMHO a great set of options for handling 4:3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. When I bought the TV, I bought the service plan. That may not generally be a good idea, but in this case, at least I'll get to use it.

Now I have an excuse to get it calibrated. I felt guilty considering getting a professional calibration, because the picture was so nice... But now my conscience will be at ease... And judging by some posts I've read, I truly think a pro will be able to improve far more than just my overscan problem. I have had it about 10 months, and it has never been calibrated (all I've done is the manual convergence).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
I've noticed overscan on some HDnet programs, but not others. Viewing the HDnet test pattern (7am CDT during the week), I see little if any overscan on my TV, so I tend to agree with DrDon that it's the program.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Preliminary info: I have a Toshiba 42H81 and a Hughes E86 receiver connected through component cables.
For what it's worth - I have the E86 and a 50H82. I can show that there is about 2-3% more overscan at 1080i than at 480i/540p with this combination of equipment. I haven't determined if this is due to the Hughes output or the Toshiba's handling of the signal.

HDC

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have the same problem with progressive scan DVD with 50h81.

I belive that the problem lies with the toshiba.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Overscan on CRT based RPTVs is there for a very good reason. Convergence gets further out of whack (technical term) the closer to the edges you get. And it is NOT correctible. About the best you can do is 3 - 5% overscan. If your sets geometry is good as is, it's probably not worth the trouble to try and reduce the overscan. If you have other geometry issues, then you could have the overscan professionally adjusted at the same time. A quality calibration is a worthwhile investment in my experience.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D_Driskell
I can't imagine where I have an incorrect setting on the receiver, but I'm posting here in case that's it. Some of the settings do nothing when I'm viewing an HDTV broadcast (e.g., changing to "cropped," "stretched," etc. does nothing, because that's only for altering 4:3 images.
Check to see if your TV is not inadvertantly set to one of the "wide" modes, as that will stretch the HDTV picture. The E86 settings won't change the 16:9 picture, but the TV (if its like my Toshiba) will stretch it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Toshiba locks to Full mode with all 1080i sources..................

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dirk1843
Toshiba locks to Full mode with all 1080i sources..................
I just double checked and my new Toshiba 65HDX82 with a 1080i input from a Toshiba DST-3000 STB does stretch the HDNet picture when in the "Theater Wide" modes.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zyg
I just double checked and my new Toshiba 65HDX82 with a 1080i input from a Toshiba DST-3000 STB does stretch the HDNet picture when in the "Theater Wide" modes.
The 82 series doesn't lock but the older series' do.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That is a very handy feature, the locking of full mode with 1080i is one of my major gripes about the 81 series...........

Glad to know that it was changed!!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Scroll doesn't work in full mode though.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have the 50HX81 (bigger brother of your set). The H81/HX81's only have one set of geometry parameters across inputs, unlike earlier and the current 82 models. I too have noticed that when I set my overscan to 2-3% on 480p input, the overscan is about 6-7% on 1080i. note that it's less than 1% for 480i. So this must be the price of compromising to one set of geometry parameters.

I've also noticed something else that when I adjust the HIT service parameter (NOTE: DO NOT CHANGE SERVICE MODE PARAMETERS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING) down so that I can see the edge of the picture, the HD image appears cropped a bit relative to the 480i cable version. I've noticed this on ABC's The practice and CBS's The Guardian. I'm not sure that to make of this, but it appears to be the case with my setup. I've have the samsung sirt150 HD reciever. So I don't know if it's a network HD conversion issue similar to pan&scan or what.

Best,

jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.