AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a roughly 2 year old premium 360 from 2006 and for the last several months has began to overheat after about 20 minutes of playing. When this first started happening, I bought a table fan to blow cool air on the 360 and expel the hot air from the back. However in the last few days, it has begun to overheat despite having the extra fan on it. The error code (I believe) is 0012, which is an overheating code. Its in a semi-open area, but due to the small apartment, I can't really move my 360. FWIW its set up vertically.

So, what should I do? Will MS take my 360 and replace it as if it RRoD'd? Should I try and clean it with air cans? Help!

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
pretty odd... are the rear fans functioning?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Try running it horizontally.....the system was actually designed to dissipate heat better in the flat position than in the tower position. But mostly at 2 years, I'd let it run until it overheated...then I'd let it stay in the overheated error state (assuming it doesn't shut down on its own) and see if you can get it to RROD......then get a new refurb under warranty.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/14182608

Try running it horizontally.....the system was actually designed to dissipate heat better in the flat position than in the tower position. But mostly at 2 years, I'd let it run until it overheated...then I'd let it stay in the overheated error state (assuming it doesn't shut down on its own) and see if you can get it to RROD......then get a new refurb under warranty.

My words exactly. I came across that error message on console #3, Mass Effect, BioShock and Stranglehold finally caused it to red ring. If I didn't know any better, I'd go as far as to say that just about any game with the unreal engine will cause 1st gen 360 consoles to fail.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Take the hard drive off, get a can of canned air and blow it out, even though it doesnt look like it you would be amazed how much dirt and dust collects in the little holes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For sh*ts and giggles I'll try out blowing some canned air around the hard drive like joey suggested. Is there any reason to not blow the other ventilation areas of the 360, i.e. the sides and bottom?

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler87 /forum/post/14184662

For sh*ts and giggles I'll try out blowing some canned air around the hard drive like joey suggested. Is there any reason to not blow the other ventilation areas of the 360, i.e. the sides and bottom?

sorry keebler, blow the whole thing out, I just meant remove the hard drive because there are some areas there too to blow out

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I tried knocking out some dust with an air can but there was no success. I'd like to avoid the process of sending my 360 in if I can and just do what I can on my end to take care of this. If all else fails I'll just keep running it after it turns off and red ring it. Here are some quick and dirty pics of my setup, I put these up to see if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to get more air to my 360. Ignore the nest of wires, its on my to do list (although its been on there for a while
)

Close up of the component area

As you can see I don't have a lot of room to work with and currently I can't think any other layout options. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
It's fine where it is. The problem is in the hardware. RRoD it and get a new one. Keep prolonging it and you'll run out of the warranty period.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I recommend buying one of the Nyko Cooling fans. It attaches to the back and has three fans that really help expel the heat. The only downside is that it makes the console louder. You can pick these up at any Wal-mart.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk /forum/post/14185588

The only downside is that it makes the console louder.

so it will sound like a formation of jet planes, instead of just one...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Good chances that an accumulation of dust/dirt is causing the overheating. Do you have any pets in the house? Like cats, maybe? Anyone in the house smoke?

I cleaned out a relative's xbox (original model) last year. The problem was that it wouldn't boot. Too bad I dumped the photos I took of the insides. It was choked with cat hair and other nice particles you get when it sits on a carpeted floor with people walking by all the time.

I (carefully!) power vacuumed out the CPU heatsink, ventilation areas, mobo, fan blades, chassis frame, DVD optical pickup (lens), DVD transport rails. I gave it back to them in working order. Blowing air into your 360 from the outside won't cut it. Add tar and other sticky stuff on top of pet hair if there are smokers around (ugh!).

This is one of those problems that creeps up on you. You don't know anything's wrong until it stops working. I'd suggest you open it up and clean it out with a small vacuum attachment. Then, find a spot to mount it up high off the floor.

BTW, you might want to check the optics on your DVD player.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I set my 360 horizontally in roughly the same area as it was previously set up and it works fine now
who knows...

Geekgirl I will probably open it up and give things a look. There are no pets and no smokers here, but I'm sure there's more dust in there than I think. Thanks all!

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX /forum/post/14186080

so it will sound like a formation of jet planes, instead of just one...

Yeah, pretty much. Luckily my ceiling fan kind of drowns it out. Just turn the volume up!

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler87 /forum/post/14187241

Update: I set my 360 horizontally in roughly the same area as it was previously set up and it works fine now
who knows...

Geekgirl I will probably open it up and give things a look. There are no pets and no smokers here, but I'm sure there's more dust in there than I think. Thanks all!

why would you open it up and void your chance to get it replaced within the 3year RROD repair window?

like everyone else has said in the thread, wait until it RROD's and send it back to MS for free repair. or just force it to RROD by wrapping it in a towel and ship it back for a new one.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
ya don't open it, if it rrod's? get a referb'd one and be done with it. It will only be a week or 2 down time, the process is very fast now!

·
Registered
378 Posts
MS was being a 'tard about sending me the coffin (apparently Fedex and UPS don't know where I live) but once I had it and sent it in I got a new machine in no time. I slapped the HDD back on and it worked flawlessly. Of course my room mate and I got an Elite to replace it during the time it was down.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk /forum/post/14185588

I recommend buying one of the Nyko Cooling fans. It attaches to the back and has three fans that really help expel the heat. The only downside is that it makes the console louder. You can pick these up at any Wal-mart.

Watch out using this, I remember reading that several Xboxs were shorted out using this and MS voided the warranty because it was the Nyko part that caused the plug to fail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts