AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, my dad is buying a tele tomorrow. Possibly (likely) a 4:3 rptv I have not been paying attention lately. He is looking at sears and internet matching. Cabinet dimensions are 46 3/4 wide by 49" high. Anyone familiar with the rptv that are carried at sears? I noticed that the pt x49 by panasonic fit the cabinet dimensions, also the toshiba 42" 16:9 will fit.

He is kinda willful ( he wants a sony!) He is looking at 2300$ or less. His pioneer has given out after many years and he is watching a 12" portable. I just happened to call him and he is going to buy tomorrow. I know he will make a mistake without your help! Anyone know of any good buying opportunities?

·
Registered
943 Posts
He is wasting his money, if he does not buy a 16:9 HD TV. There are several that Sears carries. Any of them would be a better purchase than a 4:3 SD TV.

The Toshiba 50H81 is excellent. They have a good Mits with a beautiful cabinet. I have heard that their Samsung is a great deal for the price.

BUT do not buy a 4:3 set, especially a SD one.

Jerry

·
Registered
395 Posts
Coupled with even an inexpensive progressive DVD player, you and your father will be able to enjoy the 16:9 aspect ratio today; you'll be sorry you didn't get a widescreen the first time you see such a setup and compare it with what you have.

High definition content is a whole other matter. For the money you are spending, it make sense to get a set with the ability to view HD even if you don't plan to get a HD receiver anytime soon. --Karl

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Given the cabinet dimensions you gave, the baby Toshiba RPTV is probably a perfect choice. It should fit both the budget and size requirements, with some room left to add a nice progressive scan DVD player. You want a bit of space for proper ventilation around the set.

Hope Dad enjoys his new TV!

·
Registered
437 Posts
contrary to some opinions expressed above, currently I think a 4:3 is a wise choice if your father will still be watching a majority of 4:3 material. If he goes with a 16:9 he'll have to live with stretch modes that he may find objectionable (I know I do). On the other hand, a 4:3 set with a good squeeze mode allows the best of both worlds.

I would let him go with a Sony. Either the new 43" 43ht20. or the 51 or 53 - not sure of the model numbers or the sizes, but one of these should fit your dimensions. All the Sony's offer true anamorphic squeeze and should fit the bill perfectly. See for yourself when you go to sears with him. Toshiba is also a good choice, but if I were going with a 4:3 projection set I'd go with the Sony.

just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.