AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a car audio newb and need help! My $$ is minimal and my subs are kaput. I need some advice on what to get as a replacement(s).

I currently have a JL Audio 500/1 monoblock amp and a sealed enclosure with 2 JL Audio 10w3v2's in my trunk - box was built to spec by a JL Audio dealer that's since gone under. They've served me very well over the past few years. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the bass was almost non existant so I popped the trunk, only to find out the foam around the cone of one sub basically exploded. Little pieces of it were littered all over the place. I live in a very hot/humid environment and was told that was likely the culprit, so I'm guessing my other sub isn't in too good a shape either.

I'm looking for something as good or better than the 10w3v2's, but I'd like to avoid having to purchase a new amp. My budget is around $500-600. I found a single 12w6v2 in a JL Audio HO Wedge high-output enclosure for $600 on Craigslist, and I've also seen many ads for people selling 2 10w3v2's. What are your thoughts? Am I "pulling a Bose" so to say in thinking I should stick with JL Audio? I want to make sure I'm not just paying for the name when I could get the same performance out of subs I could purchase either online or locally that would come with a warranty, as the JL's would not. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
786 Posts
SI Mag v4 is discontinued. The w6v2 or w7 are good subs. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Other subs to look at are the JBL W12GTI mk.II, Image Dynamics IDQ v.3, and I would definitely agree on the FI Q series.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
786 Posts
I would agree that there are good subs for less than the JL Audio stuff. The JBL W12GTI, and even more so the W15GTI mk.II, can be had in the $250 range on eBay and both will blow away the 12W7 from JL.

They like small boxes, 1.0 cuft for the 12 and 1.5 for the 15 and sound great off of around 1kW although they can handle significantly more than that.

This is probably the sub I will be going with if I decide not to add another Image Dynamics IDQ15.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.