AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of nowhere, just stopped. If I turn it off(red light) then turn it on, it goes to whitetish light, then when I turn on it briefly goes to grew and then shuts off to red, i have unplugged it to reboot it. Turned it on and tried again and it still does the same thing. I even took all the speaker wires out to rule out a bad wire. Still does the same thing. Not what I expect from a $1299 AV Processor.

It seems it is going into a self protect mode and then shutting down. I suspect a bad microprocessor. Any thoughts anyone?

The dealer says he will replace with a new one after I speak to the tech guy in his shop.

Tom

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Did you verify that all none of your speaker connections have shorted out?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I would unhook the speakers and see if it works then. Most products tend to fail with in a month if there's something wrong from the factory. In any case, NAD has always been very good about this and a dealer friend says he gets replacements FedExed to him if there's a problem. Things happen, but if the dealer is going to swap it, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not try to verify if there were any speakers shorted out since it did not work. I will try my old Yamaha to check the speakers out.

Now that I think about it originally my NAD as well as my previous Yamaha was shuting down after I installed my Omnisats a few weeks back. Then I found out one of the Omnisats were shorted out. I guess the question is did the NAD do the speaker or did the speaker do the NAD??

Already got my RMA and they are doing a croos-ship. I should get it early next week. Thanks for the replies. Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mr. Carmanton,

You should contact Mirage, or your speaker dealer.

I bought my Frx line two years ago at Tweeter, Seekonk-MA, and one of the surround speakers (Frx5) was causing my receiver to shut down. When I get back with the receiver at Tweeter(I thought a bad receiver, which weren't nothing new about Denon'), a Mirage representative were there, and HE said was a "bad" speaker. He just told me to figure which one, and replace it at once.

Sincerely,

lmauta

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Quote:
Now that I think about it originally my NAD as well as my previous Yamaha was shuting down after I installed my Omnisats a few weeks back. Then I found out one of the Omnisats were shorted out. I guess the question is did the NAD do the speaker or did the speaker do the NAD??
Looks like you solved your own problem, right? And if you saw this behavoir with your Yammy, its a bit of a stretch to suspect that the NAD nuked your speaker, don't you think?

Its a shame you can not edit the title of the thread to "Omnisats trip receiver protection circuits". People are going to read the title and get the wrong impression about NAD.

BGL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't go as far as to blame the speaker. After I replaced the Mirage, the NAD worked perfectly for 3 weeks. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say maybe damage could have been done that took three more weeks to culminate in a failure of the NAD.

I love my NAD and never intended to want to replace it. My option was return for a new one, or get all my money back including shipping. I opted for the replacement.

Only disappontment and mad about inconvienence. Never intended to take away from the NAD name.

Also, I would not "dis" the Mirage name because of a failed speaker. All product lines have a failure rate.

Thanks, Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.