AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not having a good HT day. Half my swans get here today and they were left outside in the rain by fed ex.

I got turn my new 1014 on and everytime I turn the volume up the receiver turns off.

I have a PS2 as my DVD which is connected via optical cable. I get to about -20 and it turns right off. I have had a receiver on this outlet before. Could I have a speaker wire issue somewhere?

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Where they connected to wet speakers ?....is there an impedence selector that's set to 4 or 6 ohms ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my old speakers hooked up to it. Out of the box set to 4 ohms? I didnt think of that. I will check.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have disconnected all speakers. I also disconnected the CD and tape player. All thats left is the optical cable from the ps2 which is playing a DVD.

If the DVD isnt playing, the unit stays on. If its playing then the thing pops speakers or not. I have also ran another cord just to check the outlet.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Yung, I never got a chance to hook anything up, my wife is pregnant so I had to keep it low. This is the first time I got the dvd hooked up. Now I have everything but the dvd hooked up and If the dvd is playing I cant turn it up. Even If all the speakers are disconnected!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Were your speakers soaked when you unboxed them? I take it your connections were all ok? No speaker wire touching another terminal post? If that all was ok try reseting your unit and start all over. Do you have an older set of speakers you can try? Maybe at that volume with those speakers, your receiver just can't handle them. Try listening at lower volumes and see if it shuts down. Shutting down like that is a protection feature. Or you have a faulty receiver.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The speakers that were wet have never been used, i was just complaining. I was using my old speaker setup.

I have removed all speaker connections. I even removed the optical cable and tried RCA's. I have tried a different set of inputs. I switched the connections from tv/sat to dvd just to make sure it wasnt the inputs. I cant figure this out. So basically nothing is connected but an audio signal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well you might need to have your speakers hooked up. At least 2. The receiver might want to see a load if not it could see it as a problem and this could be why its shutting down, too. Not a problem just a safety feature. I could be wrong. I would at least hook the front 2 up, and play something in 2ch stereo mode and play it at a low volume. See if it plays without shutting off. Then gradually turn the volume up and see when it shuts down.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I did was disconnect each speaker one by one. Then I would un pause the dvd and turn the volume up. It kept doing it. I had 3 speakers connected initially. Now there are none. What are the odds on 3 speakers having shorts. I hope this thing isnt bad, what a hassle. So initially I had 2 fronts and a center. I only disconnected them to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I was checking the manual for your problem and it says that "the protection circuit has ben activated because lowest acutal impedance of the speakers (as opposed to the speakers rated impediance) is dangerously low".

One of the remedies they suggested is:

"When convenient, go to Acoustic Calibration EQ on page 41 and lower the 40 Hz and 125 Hz equalizer levels using the manual setting."

Have you tried these steps?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhferry

I got turn my new 1014 on and everytime I turn the volume up the receiver turns off.

I have a PS2 as my DVD which is connected via optical cable. I get to about -20 and it turns right off.

I might be mistaken, but if the CD and other components play well and do not shut off the receiver when the volume is turned up, it might be something to do with the PS2 that you are using as a DVD player rather than the receiver. Could you borrow a DVD player from a friend and connect it and see if the unit shuts up when you turn up the volume? That will decide if the fault rests with the 1014 or the PS2.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I havent Yung. I never got that far. As far as the PS2, I have had this hooked up to 2 other receivers so I know it isnt bad. I have read threads where someone else had his PS2 hooked up the same way. Yung I will give that a shot. Someone told me to just take it back but I am going to try everything before that. I never had such a customizable receiver so the problem could be pilot error. Although I havent messed with anything yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
No I havent Yung. I never got that far. As far as the PS2, I have had this hooked up to 2 other receivers so I know it isnt bad. I have read threads where someone else had his PS2 hooked up the same way. Yung I will give that a shot. Someone told me to just take it back but I am going to try everything before that. I never had such a customizable receiver so the problem could be pilot error. Although I havent messed with anything yet.
Another thought though it might sound obvious - what is the power rating of your speakers ? Also at what impedance is this power rated at ? I am not sure if the receiver can sense in advance that it is sending more power than the capacity of the speakers. So, make sure your speakers are rated for more power than the receiver pumps out at the speaker's impedance rating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
They are 8ohm and I have made sure the rx is set manually at 8ohms.
And what is the watt rating of the 8 ohm speakers ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fronts:

Infinitys sm102

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

2-Way 150 Watt Speaker

Frequency Response: 65Hz - 25kHz (+/-3dB)

Crossover Frequency(ies): 3.3kHz

Sensitivity: 100dB (1 watt/1 meter)

Power Rating: 10 - 150 watts

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Woofer: 10" (254mm) polypropylene coated

Tweeter: 1" (25mm) polycell "high-output"

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Come on the reciever is broken take the thing back and get a new one and stop torturing your self,unless you bought it on line and got a screwed up refurb.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I got it from Vanns. I was just seeking help in case it was a newbie pilot error. Take it easy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.