AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me. I have a Optoma EP716 set up in my basement. It is really cool! We've got it set up to eveything - DirecTV, video games, the PC, DVD, & VHS and then we've got a BOSE surround sound system. It is SOOO COOL!

But, then, it started burning through bulbs after being on just a few minutes. We replaced the bulb. Then, that one blew after a few minutes. I sent that one bulb back for a replacement. And, I bought another bulb from a different supplier. But, the same thing happened with theirs, too.

So, we sent the projector out to Optoma's service department. They replaced the "pcba mainboard" for $329 and sent it back. We plugged it in and (guess what!), the same thing happened - it came on, then went out after just a minute. So, we sent it back to Optoma. Now, they say that the (new) mainboard was bad and needs to be replaced (this one's free). And, they suggest replacing the "Assy Engine Module" for $329 (is EVERYTHING $329 or what?). They also tell us that the "bottom cover pc mn3600h ep719" has melted (just warped a tiny bit in one spot) and they suggested replacing that.

Anyway, I don't know much about this stuff, but I do know that I don't want to throw good money after bad. The projector only cost $535 in the first place, but now it's costing some serious money and we can't even use it.

Do we need to replace Assy Engine Module for it to work without breaking again? Should we just cut our losses and ask for a refund of the $329 for the first mainboard? Or, maybe take it back with the new mainboard and see if it works now. And, did that cover melting (it is a tiny spot) have anything to do with all this?

Please help. We really miss having a projector set up for all of our stuff.

Thanks,

Tony

"MeMyWife&Kids"

·
Registered
131 Posts
> Should we just cut our losses

Yes - I'd get rid of this lemon ASAP. It's impossible to tell what else is affected if it has overheated significantly once (to the melting point of the case). You might also want to have the installation situation checked - supply voltage, temperature, dust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts