AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Showstopper HS2000 has just, tonight, started to mess up playing back recorded shows.

Observations:

1) Playback will appear paused (frozen video, no audio).

2) During the pause the Showstopper will not respond to the remote.

3) During the pause I hear a lot of hard drive activity

in the form of clicking on a steady, fast paced frequency.

4) Pauses vary in length but average under 10 seconds.

5) Rebooting did not fix it.

Please does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
615 Posts
There are many of us experiencing the sputtering (also referred to as stuttering on the forums).

I've asked in another thread and I'll ask again here -- doesn't anyone else think it's a coincidence that all of a sudden so many of us are experiencing stuttering replays?

I'm thinking something was updated in the download (pause screens?) that is causing so many to experience this problem.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More observations:

1) The time that the playback is working is almost always exactly 12 seconds in between pauses.

2) The whole episode of pausing seems to be on a fairly regular frequency.

3) Watching the CPU meter, the percentage does drop to 3% during the pause and back into the 20's when playback is normal (lowest quality recording).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
There are many of us experiencing the sputtering (also referred to as stuttering on the forums).

I've asked in another thread and I'll ask again here -- doesn't anyone else think it's a coincidence that all of a sudden so many of us are experiencing stuttering replays?

I'm thinking something was updated in the download (pause screens?) that is causing so many to experience this problem.

Any opinions?
Well, after reading some of the other threads, I think you are on to something. Seems to much all at once to be merely coincidence. And as for heat problems, my Showstopper functioned fine all summer when my living room was in the 80's. Now it drops down to 64 at night with my thermostat setback.

Let's collect some more data points.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Let's collect some more data points.
I have an unhacked 3060 and have noticed increased stuttering. I do have the 4000 pause ads. Input is DirecTV. Room temperature varies between 58 - 70 degrees during this time of year. The replay is in a very open spot away from the heating duct and does not feel hot.

1. In the past, I had stuttering with the blue "no signal" screen only during live TV and only after I filled the buffer - ie, if I had 20 min of available pause time, it stuttered after 20 min of watching live TV. The past few days it seems to happen in half of the time (ie, after 10 min).

2. In the past, the live TV stuttering would go on indefinitely until I changed the channel to clear the buffer. Now it stutters for a few minutes then it just stops playing the show and the blue ReplayTV screen comes on (the one that says "To watch shows on television press channel guide. To watch recorded shows press Replay guide...")

3. I have never had stuttering during recording in the past, but on Sunday I was recording football on high and watching at the same time. I was not watching it delayed. About 2 hours into the game it started stuttering very badly, and was very sluggish responding to the remote. I hit display and saw the game info, but it never faded from the screen. It then spontaneously rebooted itself (at least it had the courtesy to do this during a commercial!) When it came back up all was fine, but it did not resume the recording. I had 4 hours of available record time, so the 2 hour point is again half the available space (seems like this has to be related to #1).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
Mr. Consumer (or may I call you Eric?),

I have one question:

If you press pause on live TV, do you get an ad for a replay 4000?
Actually, I just noticed last night that the pause screen is gone.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mine seemed to start stuttering when the pause screens came back.

I powered it of for a few hours and when I turned it back on, I was able to watch some shows that were previously stuttering.

I then deleted the shows I just watched to free up some space and the stuttering only happens once in a while now.

Can't offer much more info other than to say I've been turning it off more now than I used to just to help the heat issue as much as possible.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I can experiment with the heat angle, but I can't figure how that would be a problem now when the temperature in my living room is much cooler than it was over the summer.

If heat is a problem, I'm guessing the new $1000+ units have built-in cooling fans?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my stuttering, at least right now, is gone. This is what I did:

I noticed that all the shows that I had recorded prior to the onset of the stuttering were fine during playback. I had recorded Band of Brothers on HBO on tuesday night. I was really hoping that it was stutter-free even though it recorded after the stuttering began. Sure enough, I previewed the first few minutes last night and it was full of stutters. Damn. Well, I played the previous week's episode of BOB that I hadn't transferred to videotape yet and it played back fine, so I figured I would get it recorded before I lost that episode too. After it was recorded onto videotape, I deleted the episode. For the hell of it, I played the latest one again from the beginning, and much to my surprise, there was no stuttering! I then paused live TV, and unpaused it. No stuttering there either! Somehow deleting a one hour high quality show caused the stuttering to go away.

This leads me to a question. How well do these ReplayTV units handle disk fragmentation? Is there a debug tool (built into ReplayTV) that allows you to see the fragmentation statistics for your hard drive?

I know there may be multiple causes of this stuttering problem that we are all experiencing, but mine seemed to have nothing to do with heat, but something very much, perhaps, to do with the way the low-level filesystem is performing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Eric, your experiences sound exactly like mine.

Very unpredictable and most definitely related to storage space (or effective use of storage space).

I still feel that it is no coincidence that this problem seemed to pop up only recently for many users. It's not the first time my disk was close to full, my unit was hot, etc. but for some reason, these things are happening "all of a sudden".

It may be hard to gather enough data from the user base here to prove exactly what is happening and why but I still find that these problems seemed to have started right around the time that the new pause screens for the 4K showed up.

I'd love for some of the experts here to figure out a way to nail down the exact cause of the stuttering that seems to randomly plauge many of us!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.