AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently living in an apartment, and the main room where the setup will be is 20' by 20'. I sit about 9' from the tv, and am going to be purchasing a receiver, left, center, and right front speakers. I'm thinking towers, so that when I move into a house, my only necessary upgrade to fill a larger room with sound will be a sub. I plan on buying the rear speakers at a later date, and am mainly concerned with the fronts and the receiver.

The use will be 80% movies/tv, 15% gaming, and 5% music. Everything will be hooked to a Pioneer 5020.

The speakers I've been looking at include the following:

Infinity P362 and matching center

Polk Monitor 60s with matching center

Energy CF-50 or RC-50 with Energy CC-10

Paradigm Monitor 7 v.6 with CC-290

Boston Acoustics VR-3 deal on Onecall

I know that the most important part of this decision is how they sound to my ears. With that said, none of the stores around my area carry the Polk Monitor series, and I would have to audition the others at separate locations. The only option for picking up the Infinitys is a Frys that is 3 hours away, as the local Frys is sold out. Otherwise, I would order them online, if they're still available anywhere. Also, I would have to buy the Boston Acoustics without auditioning.

The Paradigm speakers are at the extreme top end of my budget, as I would like to pick up a receiver and the three speakers for >$1,500. Receiver wise, I've got about $400 in gift cards to Best Buy, so I would prefer to at least get the receiver there. I'm thinking one of the Pioneer receivers 820k - 1120k, but am not sure if I would get increasing benefit from the 1120 over the 820.

Are any of these speakers "better" than the others, quality wise? I know that it all depends on how they sound to my ears, but I am mostly wondering about build quality, longevity, etc. This is the first time I've purchased any audio equipment, so I would like to make sure I get something I'll be happy with 5 years from now. Also, I've read that the RC-50s are as good or better than the CF-50s, and can be had for $100 or so less. I wouldn't be able to audition these, but do the CF-50s at Best Buy sound similar to the RC-50s?

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
Quality wise the RC-50s are built the best, far better than the Infinity Primus and Polk Monitor 70 which look like entry level speakers. They're better than the Energy CF-50 you see at Best Buy too, which I think are built rather cheaply when compared to the RC series or even the previous C series. The CF is more comparable to the Infinity 362 and Monitor 70.

By the way you can check out the Polk Tsi500 at Best Buy which is essentially a Monitor 70 in a newly upgraded cabinet.

Sound quality would be more of a user preference. The new CF-50s are a little brighter sounding than the RC-50. The CF series is the first new series of speakers by Energy since being acquired by Klipsch. The RC's were designed and produced before the takeover. Energy's were known for a mellow neutral sound and the new line is brighter.

I haven't seen or heard the Paradigm Monitor 7 in person but from the website they look to be very well built. Definitely a step up from the P362, Monitor 70 and CF-50 in build quality (and price).

The best thing you can do is take some of your favorite music and listen to all the available speakers. then decide which sound you like best.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it looks like the VR3s are sold out on OneCall. I'm leaning towards the Energys at this point, but I'm going to have to listen to those and the Paradigms. Are there any other options at this price point that I should be considering? I'd like to keep it under $1,000 for the L, C, R.

Also, are there any other suggestions at a similar price point besides the Pioneer 1120 receiver?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have been to Best Buy many times and the one line of speaker I really don't like there is Energy. For lack of a better term, they sounded cheap. These were the CB20 bookshelves. For some reason, they have them in the same room as B&Ws and Def Techs.

For a AVR, look at the Denon 1911 or the Pioneer 1020. Can't go wrong with either one!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You can't really compare the Energy CB/CF speakers to the Energy RC speakers... well, at least I don't think you can.

I currently own the Energy RC-10's, RC-LCR, RC-Mini Center, and RC-Mini's... and at one point owned the CB-5 as well as the previous C-50 and CC-50.

I think there is a very big step up in sound moving from Energy's entry level to the RC series. And I would agree, the CB/CF speakers seem cheap in comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.