AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February I bought an NEC VT540k. I new this unit was HDTV capable but didn’t look at the fine print to realise that it will only do 1080i 60Hz, which is not a problem except I live in Australia and down here it is 50Hz.

I called NEC who said that all the later units have now been adjusted at the factory for 50Hz and requested my serial number to see what my unit is set at.

A reference check indicated the unit is 60hz, and NEC can’t do an upgrade. Now I am upset as I was looking at getting a Dgtec HD set top box but the best I will be able to do is display a Standard definition signal. NEC tells me an SD signal should still be 30% shaper than current analog.

I know that the projector can accept 1080i, although I am aware it can’t fully resolve it as it is only XGA, but how much better would 1080i have looked running through component or RGB connection as opposed to displaying 576i through S-video connection which is what I will be stuck with. I have not been impressed with S-video connections on this projector but RGB more than makes up for it.

Can any other Aussies help me out ? I don’t want to shell out for a set top box if the result is a picture I am not happy with.

Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chainsaw
I called NEC who said that all the later units have now been adjusted at the factory for 50Hz and requested my serial number to see what my unit is set at.

A reference check indicated the unit is 60hz, and NEC can’t do an upgrade.
Sounds quite interesting how they cannot fix this by firmware upgrade.

I just can't see why it has to be adjusted at factory and cannot be done afterwards.

Did you ask them that does newer model support 576P (progressive PAL) too?

What is you units manufacturing date and location?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm quite surprised that NEC wouldn't replace it. NEC has been very good to me (and a number of others on the forum) with service on the vt540k units. I've heard of people replacing their units a number of times before settling on a unit which worked for them (i.e. no dead pixels). NEC has always been very responsive for me. In fact, NEC has my vt540k right now, and is realigning the LCD panels.

Is it just NEC Australia, perhaps? If they persist, can you walk up the chain of NEC support? It might be a pain, but it may be worth it.

-Jon

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yubyub
I'm quite surprised that NEC wouldn't replace it. NEC has been very good to me (and a number of others on the forum) with service on the vt540k units.
Me too. Usually NEC has been doing everything to make their clients happy.

Also I'm quite suprised why they cannot do 1080i/50Hz upgrage by flashing new firmware. It can already accept various 50Hz input formats like 576i so I just cannot understand why they say it is hardware issue and cannot be upgraded.

Maybe you should call NEC again and recheck. Maybe you spoke with someone who did not know better or just did not want to help.
Quote:
In fact, NEC has my vt540k right now, and is realigning the LCD panels.
That sound interesting. Did they really say it is possible to realign LCD panels? I asked that and they said that whole optical block has to be change to do that. It would be nice to hear you comments when you receive your unit back.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
That sound interesting. Did they really say it is possible to realign LCD panels? I asked that and they said that whole optical block has to be change to do that. It would be nice to hear you comments when you receive your unit back.
Well, they didn't say it wasn't possible :D They said that sometimes it can happen in shipping. I may have never noticed until I started to really find flaws in the projector (I think I'm at the point where the "wow" has gone, and for the past 4 months I've noticed the good and bad points... which of course means I had to buy an ISCO II).

I did post a few questions (under a "Convergence?" thread or similar), and I finally did snap a photo of my problem, just in case NEC doesn't find one. I'll definitely post a result to that thread.

BTW, regarding NEC service, I'd definitely call back and try to get someone else. I found out that NEC even payed for the shipment when I returned the projector to them (I would've expected the other way around, but both ways is excellent!). I'm so excellently pleased with NEC service that I want to run naked in the streets, much to the dismay of my neighbors.

-Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it is NEC Australia. When I first bought the projector, I had 2 dead pixels. One on the outer edge which i did not mind, but one near the center of the screen. I hassled NEC so much and they would not do anything about it. I used another forum members suggestion to apply a small peice of yellow tape on the screen which has helped. NEC told me I had to have at least 2 dead pixels together for them to replace the panels.

Now with this issue, they tell me it can't be done. I am tired of the numerous phone calls, but from reading other threads it seems NEC USA is very co operative and customer oriented. Cant say the same for NEC Australia with my dealings.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chainsaw
INow with this issue, they tell me it can't be done. I am tired of the numerous phone calls, but from reading other threads it seems NEC USA is very co operative and customer oriented. Cant say the same for NEC Australia with my dealings.
Usually NEC is very co operative no matter where you are located. Maybe you can try to get some help from your dealer about this issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.