AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, some I'm on my way to finishing a home heater area in my basement and I need a critique and some advice on a few things. I've just started finishing this area, so I've still got a ways to go. Here's some general info...

Room size: 24' L x 17' W x 8.5' H. 8' opening on one wall and a 4' opening on the other.

Engineering wood flooring (wifes choice),but I will be adding some big area rugs.

Furniture: Getting rid of the stuff in the pics and will be replaced with a sectional and chair.

Here's where I need some help...

Sub woofer: I haven't chosen one yeat, but my plan was to buy two SVS-12 plus subs. These will be located in the area below the display on either side of the center. Should I go with one 15"? My sub budget is about $1200. I'd like to get a front firing sub-woofer becasue of the enclosure. Each sub enclosure size is 21H x 23W x 22D. The whole bottom enclosure will have speaker material over the front (shown on the left)

Speakers: Paradigm mini-monitors. I'll be buying a CC-270 to match the fronts. Bi-pole speakers on the surrounds and Paradigm atoms for the rears. Thoughts about the locations for the fronts?

Display: Haven't chosen one yet. I was thinking about a 65" plasma? Thoughts? The display area will be framed out flush with the front of the display with speaker grill material.

Receiver: Probably a Denon, but not sure on the model.

Acoustical treatments: I was going to add some sound foam behind the display to deaden things a bit, but with the wood floors I think I need some more. Any other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Here are the pics...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thats a nice size room. Why didn't you go with a projector? 65" is a big tv, but a 120" screen would have been sweet.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I agree with the Front Projection suggestion... You could easily build or buy an acoustically transparent screen to cover the inset pictured above and avoid the cost/hassle of framing out to trim around a direct-view display. You can get a TON of projector and screen for the price of a 65" plasma.

Another comment... maybe don't limit your sub placement to below the screen. If it's an absolute aesthetic must, then go ahead. If not, experiment with placement and find what works best acoustically.

Third, definitely consider some acoustic treatments, at least at the first reflection points. A couple of nice heavy rugs wouldn't hurt any either.

Lastly... maybe consider a darker color paint. It might make the space feel a bit smaller, but it will help greatly with atmosphere and improve focus on the display both with the lights up and down.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with the comments regarding front projection. However, if you really want to use that space, MItsubishi makes a 82" rear projection 120hz DLP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input eveyone. I've thought about the projector, but haven't done too much research. Any suggestions on a brand and model? The distance across display opening is 80". I'm shooting for a display budget of about $2500.

I also like the idea of darker paint. There are no windows in this space, so lighting control is not a problem, but I will darken it if needed.

·
Registered
871 Posts
a DLP display would work nice in that space, one of the big Mitsu's would give you a huge picture and would be gentle on the pocket.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuegerich /forum/post/18176835

Thanks for the input eveyone. I've thought about the projector, but haven't done too much research. Any suggestions on a brand and model? The distance across display opening is 80". I'm shooting for a display budget of about $2500.

I also like the idea of darker paint. There are no windows in this space, so lighting control is not a problem, but I will darken it if needed.

When you say the distance across the display opening is 80", is that inside the opening, or from the outside of each "pillar"?

CD

·
Registered
647 Posts
mhuegerich Just wanted to chime in and say beautiful work of the stand and the bookshelf's they are gorgeous. Very nice job to you or your contractor.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves /forum/post/18176876

a DLP display would work nice in that space, one of the big Mitsu's would give you a huge picture and would be gentle on the pocket.

Where have I heard that before?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I'm about talked into a projector, but the Mitsubishi DLP is interesting too. I don't know much about projectors, so I'd appreciate any suggestions in the $2,000 range. The distance from the projector to the screen could be between 10 and 15 feet.

I've got an 80 inch opening between the columns, and about 60 inches of vertical. Going with a projector, I'd like to go the full width (minus a 2 inch black border). So, what do I do with my front speakers. My plan for a screen would be a Wilsonart sheet, or the Goo screen paint. I put the speakers on stands in front of the columns, but the wife shot that down. There's really not enough space below the display to have the subs and all the front speakers, and the right side shelf really isn't deep enough for a speaker.

TheCableMan thanks for the kind words. I've done the entire basement myself. This is one of the last areas, and I seem to be second guessing myself along the way.

I'm was trying to use an extra set of Paradigm speakers that have been in boxes for the last five years. Maybe I should start looking for some low profile on-wall speakers mounted to the columns.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Can you afford to go AT? Keep the speakers in the cavity above the cabinet (I would try to raise them some though) and have the screen span from column to column?

CD

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
You could mount the speakers above the two shelving units. Technically, front speakers are supposed to be at ear height, but if you place them high and aim them toward the listening area, you'll be OK. The front speakers in my HT are all 8' high (and angled straight to the seating area) and it sounds great. Unless you knew they were up there, you'd have no idea.

You could also use an accoustically transparent screen and keep all 3 speakers in that alcove.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much would an AT screen cost?

I'll try to see if it would be possible to mount them above. The trouble is, if my screen is full width, that may onle leave about 6 to 8 inches on top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts