AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..here's my situation. I'm the proud owner of a 6010...purchased in Sep of 2007 from Roman. It's been and continues to be a great display, although I've never had it professionally calibrated. (Just done a lot of tweaking myself with calibration discs.)

So, I'm in my local Bestbuy last night, and the 6020 on display looks gorgeous. The blacks really popped. The guy told me they sold their last 6020 for $3700 last night. However, the manager would consider offering me the display for around 3k plus tax. The display has only been on the floor a week and a half so it's very new and looks great. Couldn't see any dead pixels or buzzing.

---

In the opinion of plasma experts on here, do you think it is worth it to buy the 6020 for around 3k at this point? I would have to try to sell my current 6010 on Craigslist and who knows what I would get.

Or, should I just be happy with my current 6010fd knowing that it's pretty close to the 6020fd....and wait until greater advancements are made in TV tech?

All opinions appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd keep your 6010 and instead have it calibrated. You won't get squat for your 6010 on Craigslist so your gonna spend alot of "out of pocket" in order to get the 6020. Now if you had a 50" and were asking if it would be worth buying this 6020, that would be a totally different situation, and I would say "yea, go for the 6020". The difference in size would make it so much better and "different" from what your already use to that it would be a major change and thus worth the $$$. For the probably $2000.00 your gonna spend to go from the 6010 to the 6020 (Craiglist yours for $1000.00 - $3000.00 6020 = $2000.00 out of pocket), I don't believe it's worth that kind of money. If your close to New Jersey and BB still has it, they have a DEMO 141 you can get for $3199.00. Very close to the 6020 your considering.

The above is obviously just my personal opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg350 /forum/post/18196978

I'd keep your 6010 and instead have it calibrated. You won't get squat for your 6010 on Craigslist so your gonna spend alot of "out of pocket" in order to get the 6020. Now if you had a 50" and were asking if it would be worth buying this 6020, that would be a totally different situation, and I would say "yea, go for the 6020". The difference in size would make it so much better and "different" from what your already use to that it would be a major change and thus worth the $$$. For the probably $2000.00 your gonna spend to go from the 6010 to the 6020 (Craiglist yours for $1000.00 - $3000.00 6020 = $2000.00 out of pocket), I don't believe it's worth that kind of money. If your close to New Jersey and BB still has it, they have a DEMO 141 you can get for $3199.00. Very close to the 6020 your considering.

The above is obviously just my personal opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

Thanks Drew. I didn't realize I'd get so little from my 6010fd. $2,000 seems too costly of a price to upgrade from a 6010 to 6020. $2,000 also seems like a lot to upgrade to a 141. I do live on Long Island, so I could go to Jersey, but again it may not be worth it for a display model.

A calibration is around 300 bucks, so that may be the better route.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolomaldini /forum/post/18197041

Thanks Drew. I didn't realize I'd get so little from my 6010fd. $2,000 seems too costly of a price to upgrade from a 6010 to 6020. $2,000 also seems like a lot to upgrade to a 141. I do live on Long Island, so I could go to Jersey, but again it may not be worth it for a display model.

A calibration is around 300 bucks, so that may be the better route.

Yeah invest the dollars into the calibration and also upgrade to a good blu-ray player if you haven't already done so. I upgraded to the Oppo bdp-83 player and now even my regular dvd's look much better do to the upconversion to 1080p.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I currently use the PS3 and thought that was great, but who knows.

I watch most of my content through a Windows Media Center HTPC so a calibration won't be easy.

Can anyone recommend good calibrators in the NYC or Long Island area?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Call or email Robert over at Value Electronics. He's close to you, offers excellent service, and can set you up with the calibration your looking for. All his information is below.

Contact us via email:

Sales: [email protected]*********************

Or by Telephone:

Monday - Thursday 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM EST

Fridays 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST

Saturday - Sunday 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST

Tel: 800-789-5050 or 914-723-3344

Fax: 914-472-6364

Postal address:

********************* Inc.

108 Garth Road,

Scarsdale, NY 10583

Visit our Showroom at 108 Garth Road, Scarsdale, NY 10583

http://www.*********************

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Drew. I'll check that out. Calibration for me will be a challenge because I have my HTPC, PS3, and Verizon box all running through my Onkyo receiver with a single connection to the Pioneer. Not sure how they would deal with that, but we'll see.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolomaldini /forum/post/18198600

I watch most of my content through a Windows Media Center HTPC so a calibration won't be easy.

I do the same. I watch everything in 1080p mkv for movies I plan on keeping and 720p mkvs for movies I just want to watch once. I have about 100 movies stored on my HTPC sucking up over 1TB of drive space. I refuse to buy physical media ever again.

I just ordered a eye1 LT and I figured out how to calibrate my HTPC since the video card comes into play.

Download the AVSHD 709 MP4 calibration test pattern files from this forum and put them in a folder for the HTPC under My Videos. Just launch Windows Media Center and detect them, and run them from there.

That is what I plan on doing.

I plan on borrowing a stand alone player like a PS3 to do the TV input.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jackal,

I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, the only way to truly calibrate my 6010fd is to get into the Service Menu. And, I really would rather not mess with that and risk bricking the TV.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other quick question...for those of you that had an 8G calibrated, did you notice an improvement in the contrast ratio and shadow detail? Or, was it mainly an improvement in color accuracy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolomaldini /forum/post/18205062

One other quick question...for those of you that had an 8G calibrated, did you notice an improvement in the contrast ratio and shadow detail? Or, was it mainly an improvement in color accuracy?

Thanks.
8G reports can be found here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=712929

on my former Kuro 4280 (Dad owns now) I made adjustments thru the SM, the links are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post15880053

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17400035

The pro calibration would be the best choice, if you don't want to spend the $$ - attempt the SM adjustments, YOU'RE responsible for the results. I was happy making the adjustments myself. Reading the owner calibration reports - I'm anxious to find out the potential these displays are capable of. (yes I'm saving for the opportunity)

Robert's 6020 offer from VE is a great deal ......... wishing I could upgrade to a 60" calibrated Kuro !!
I'll have to settle with my (smaller) 5020 & 500M (VE purchase).

Get a Kuro while you still can .... 8G or 9G, Elite, non-Elite or a monitor. They're all terrific displays. (yea, Kuro owners ARE biased)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts