AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on gradually building a good B&W based system. I have a big room (25' x 15' x 12'). I will be using it for 50% movies and 50% music. I do not ramp up my volume too high. I would like to have a good cinema surround feel and still enjoy the clarity in my music.

I am planning on:
Fronts - Either 803S or 804S
Center - HTM3s
Rear - 804S or SCMS
Subwoofer - optional and not decided
Amp/Pre-amp/Receiver - HAVE NO IDEA! - want it to be convenient for this set up and also have the ability to use something like the onkyo's audessey eq.

I have a few of questions to start with -
1. If I get a sub - something like ACI Maestro - is there still an improvement with 803S over 804S for fronts?
2. Is there any value added by using 804s over SCMS for surrounds?
3. How do I power this whole 5.1 system - I have no clue - so please be patient in explaining. Would a Marantz SR8002 or a Rotel rsx1560 work well? I have an onkyo sr606 right now but from what i have read the power is not enough to get the 803s to sound well.
4. Any other suggestions are more than welcome - I really want to take my time to decide before spending so much - and may build it step-wise

Thanks

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by someet /forum/post/16966419

I am planning on gradually building a good B&W based system. I have a big room (25' x 15' x 12'). I will be using it for 50% movies and 50% music. I do not ramp up my volume too high. I would like to have a good cinema surround feel and still enjoy the clarity in my music.

I am planning on:
Fronts - Either 803S or 804S
Center - HTM3s
Rear - 804S or SCMS
Subwoofer - optional and not decided
Amp/Pre-amp/Receiver - HAVE NO IDEA! - want it to be convenient for this set up and also have the ability to use something like the onkyo's audessey eq.

I have a few of questions to start with -
1. If I get a sub - something like ACI Maestro - is there still an improvement with 803S over 804S for fronts?
2. Is there any value added by using 804s over SCMS for surrounds?
3. How do I power this whole 5.1 system - I have no clue - so please be patient in explaining
4. Any other suggestions are more than welcome - I really want to take my time to decide before spending so much - and may build it step-wise

Thanks

Not sure how you've decided on B&W but we'll go with that anyways.

1) Well, the Maestro sounds like it should move some air....almost any speaker system will definitely benefit from a dedicated subwoofer.

* I'll start the plug for a SVS subwoofer tho....many more will chime in I'm sure.

2) I cant answer that directly as I have no experience with the B&W's but I will say this.....surrounds didnt mean a lot to me at first as really not alot of information was being sent to them (ProLogic days) but now with MC music, DVD-Audio and BD movies, the need for good surrounds is a must.

3) Obviously this will be a first system for you, correct? Almost all receivers on the market today are 7 channel capable and just like you mentioned, the Onkyo receiver will power your 5 speakers. The subwoofer will have its own dedicated amp.

4) Where do we start? All I can offer you is to read and learn.....this forum can help you spend money like no other. Hey, you cant take it with you, right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts