AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a long trip and need something that will let my Panasonic dvd player last longer than the 4 hour battery. The cheapest I have seen for the Panasonic brand adaptor is $129 at Amazon. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a generic one or a Panasonic brand for cheaper? The price seems way to high for an adaptor plug.

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Take your DVD player into Radio Shack let them examine it to what adapters they have and they have plenty.

I once had a problem like yours I solved by using a battery eliminator! Instead of using only the battery they(radio shack) had a plug into the battery that would run off the cars 12 volt negative ground.

All the playing time I needed to operate my cassette player on the seat of my car, for a 14 hour long trip out to a Michigan Airbase, to see my wifes brother and children. You did not include what power you needed, I have a ratshack catalog. I can't do anything more for you, I don't know what exact power requirment you need.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Or get a DC->AC converter (140 watts minimum) and plug your AC adapter of your DVD player in that. It is only $20 at Walmart.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Like another person said, you'd probably be best off with a power inverter. This will convert the 12V DC "cigarette lighter" socket in your vehicle into AC power. I was in a pinch a few weeks ago and Wal-Mart was out, Walgreens had one in their automotive isle for $50, it's a 400W (800W peak) inverter with both a cigarette adaprter and battery aligator clips. However, my needs were for more than just my Panasonic portable (I have one of these, too). The smallest thing you can find at *-Mart or wherever should suit you fine. $20 is a reasonable price for a 100W or so power inverter!

With the power powerful units, you can hook up multiple devices (like televisions, power tools, etc).

Keep in mind that these devices produce "square wave" electricity instead of standard sine waves. This will probably not be a problem with these expensive electronics (like your DVD player) since they have better AC adapters. However, with cheap boom boxes and/or radios that have crappy power supplies, you might hear buzzing from the speakers or poor sound quality.

-- Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.