AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to buy an onkyo 705 pretty soon... i want to have 2 nice powerful speakers but i probably dont want to go over 1000 for them both... honestly i cant say i want to keep it around 6-700 for a pair

are there certain floorstanding speakers that completely eliminate the part where i would buy a subwoofer

how would that work would i run my sub out from receiver to the floorstanding... sorry im ignorant about audio i have never owned a "high end" receiver and would like to get one for my blu ray and music

i can also settle for floorstanding speakers that dont have a sub and buy a sub later

also i want to buy american speakers because all of the other stuff i purchase is made in asia... and i want half my system to be at least from my own country...

thx for any feedback dont think im racist or whatever i just want to help my economy when its going down hill as much as possible ...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
You will need a sub eventually to get LFE for movies. If it was music only, its not nearly the same issue. You will end up with better since you are willing to build over time.

As for american speakers, so much of everything (not just audio) is outsourced, even if just for the parts, even if built in the states. Im not sure which products are 100% American made, but they won't be many, and probably way past your price point I imagine...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I just caught some recent posts of sivadselim's in the sub forum, and it appears you can turn sub to "off" in the receiver to have it routed to mains. Learn something new everyday...

Voila. Of course the vast majority of speakers do not extend and output as well at those lower frequencies as subwoofers can.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont mean necassarily 100% american but i believe a lot of the engineering and what not happens here if u know what i mean... an american based sound company i believe definitive, klipsch, aperion, polk audio are all american but im not sure which ones are good and dont quote me on that stuff im PRETTY sure...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
All good companies I'd say but if you want a speaker that will satisfy without a sub look at a used set of Klipsch Fortes. Can be had for anywhere from $350 -$750 depending on condition and market at the time. I have four of them in a 4.0 setup and couldn't be happier. And yes if you set up your receiver to not have a sub it redirects all LFE to the mains. Later you can add a sub if wanted.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruiser /forum/post/14280421

i am going to buy an onkyo 705 pretty soon... i want to have 2 nice powerful speakers but i probably don't want to go over 1000 for them both... honestly i cant say i want to keep it around 6-700 for a pair

are there certain floor standing speakers that completely eliminate the part where i would buy a sub woofer

how would that work would i run my sub out from receiver to the floor standing... sorry I'm ignorant about audio i have never owned a "high end" receiver and would like to get one for my blu ray and music

i can also settle for floor standing speakers that don't have a sub and buy a sub later

also i want to buy American speakers because all of the other stuff i purchase is made in Asia... and i want half my system to be at least from my own country...

thx for any feedback don't think I'm racist or whatever i just want to help my economy when its going down hill as much as possible ...

I'm going to guess most speakers sold in the USA are manufactured in another countries, and companies are not likely to advertise where their speakers are made. Don't want to look unpatriotic.

You can get a pair of Infinity Beta 50s for around $700.

Or Infinity Primus 362B will go on sale every once in a while.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruiser /forum/post/14280421

are there certain floorstanding speakers that completely eliminate the part where i would buy a subwoofer

how would that work would i run my sub out from receiver to the floorstanding... sorry im ignorant about audio i have never owned a "high end" receiver and would like to get one for my blu ray and music

i can also settle for floorstanding speakers that dont have a sub and buy a sub later
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/14280496

You will need a sub eventually to get LFE for movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/14280595

I just caught some recent posts of sivadselim's in the sub forum, and it appears you can turn sub to "off" in the receiver to have it routed to mains.

Voila. Of course the vast majority of speakers do not extend and output as well at those lower frequencies as subwoofers can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/14280681

And yes if you set up your receiver to not have a sub it redirects all LFE to the mains. Later you can add a sub if wanted.

Right. You would simply connect the speakers as you would normally connect them and an AV receiver, when set up properly, will reroute the LFE channel appropriately into the front channels. An AV receiver will properly reroute the center and surround channel info to the front channels, too, btw. If you do not have an AV receiver, then it will not be capable of rerouting any of the other channels' info to your front channels, but a DVD player will downmix and reroute everything except the LFE channel.

If you really think you will add a sub shortly, down the road, then the low-end response of the speakers is, obviously, not that important. If you have any doubts, though, you should go for some towers with substantial low-end response (again, obviously). No tower speaker is going to provide you with the low-end that a good sub can provide, though. You CAN, however, get some pretty nice and substantial towers in your price range.

For $1000 you could get some nice bookshelf speakers and a nice sub, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy /forum/post/14280793

You can get a pair of Infinity Beta 50s for around $700.

This is not a bad recommendation actually and these speakers can be had right now at a substantial discount as they are being closed-out by the manufacturer. They are becoming difficult to find, though. The Beta 40s, although smaller, are also a possibility. They are available online for ~$200 each.

In the same Infinity Beta vein, if you bought something like a pair of THESE @ ~$110 each, that would leave you with quite a bit in your budget for a nice subwoofer.

But there are plenty of other tower speakers available in your price range which meet your criteria.

You may also want to consider a pair of powered towers (have a built-in pseudo-subwoofer), used.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts
How about a pair of THESE @ $800/pair? Pretty speakers with curved cabinets and real wood veneer. Or, better yet, THESE @ $1000/pair.

And don't forget the internet direct speaker companies, as well.

You have plenty to choose from in your price range no matter where you buy them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts