AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Need some quick advice on this as I may need to take advantage of sale before things go out of stock. Trying to set up my 18x16 room for 5.1 speakers, with a new Denon AVR-791 receiver. Some caveats:

1. Not looking for amazing crystal $10,000 audiophile sound, just something pretty darn good that will last for years.

2. I have a budget under $900.

3. I can't get anything for the rear surrounds that is too large physically; I can only get something with a max 4" depth (it'll have to sit on a windowsill).

4. I live in Canada and thus whatever I buy has to be shippable here.

Now, I was thinking about getting Polk Monitor 70's for the fronts and centre, and then Polk RM7 surrounds (the reason for these choices is that they're on massive sale at Newegg.ca; I'd have preferred bookshelfs for the surrounds, but they're too big). Then top it off with a BIC or Dayton subwoofer.

Would that be an acceptable setup, or would there be too much "differences" among the various speakers (massive floorstanding fronts vs. tiny surrounds; different wattages; etc) that would cause the sound to get muddy?

Alternatively, I was looking at these two all-in-one 5.1 packages:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Theater.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S6100_5_1.html

What would you experts recommend? Go with the Polk/BIC/Dayton solution, or the HK all-in-one, or the JBL all-in-one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, well, I needed to make an executive decision, so I jumped on the Polk Monitor 70 floorstanding fronts.

However, I just realized the CS2 centre speaker won't fit in my TV area. I need something smaller that will work with the Polks.

How about the JBL CSC55, would that work well? As far as I can see, it seems similar specs-wise to the Polk CS2?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would of gone with the Polk Monitor as well. I don't know the size differences between the CS1 and CS2 but did you check if the CS1 will fit? I think I would take my chances with the same brand (if it fits).

As for your subwoofer, I would go with a Bic PL200 or the Lava 12 inch subwoofer over the Dayton. I don't know which Dayton you are looking into but I heard the Dayton SUB-120 before and I'm not impress at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts