AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Panny 42". Was supposed to get the BNC adaptors with shipment. Didn't happen. So, down to Radio Shack. Could only find a Phone to BNC adaptor. P/N 278-254

Is this the right one to get?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A "Phono jack" is an "RCA jack" just as a "Phono plug" is an "RCA plug".

If you have RCA/Phono plugs on the end of your cables, and female BNC connectors on your plasma, you need an RCA/Phono jack to Male BNC adapter for each cable, which is Radio Shack...

p/n 278-254
http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro...78/278-254.jpg

p/n 278-303
http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro...78/278-303.jpg

And they sell them for only about 5 times the price of getting them from an electronics parts supplier, too. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always a smart a** in the crowd. Geez!! I was just looking for confirmation on the part number. I had already found the ones shown in dswallows picture.

Just wan't sure that the term "phono" implied RCA. (Phono? What's that? Wasn't that some old way to play something called an "album?" .....hehehe)

Thanks for the support guys.........

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
From http://www.accesscomms.com.au/outputplugs.htm :

RCA Plug

A coaxial plug which is most commonly used for audio and video connections but occasionally used as a power supply output plug for TV antenna power injectors and similar applications. This plug is widely known as an RCA plug because it was originally used by RCA to connect their amplifiers to phonograph tone-arms. In fact, the RCA plug was originally called the Phonograph Plug (abbreviated to Phono Plug) but these days is seldom referred to as such, to avoid confusion with non-coaxial Phono plugs. The coaxial configuration is always wired with a positive centre pin and the shield (outer connection) is used as the negative or ground."

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Actually, we're all smart @sses here. While Doug's reference is good, it's Australian so ignore things like 'centre'.

Enjoy the Panny!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again guys. Picked up the 274-303B gold series. Picture on the Panny is awesome! However, I have a bad Red lead on my component cable and needs to be replaced. (Got pinched right at the connector.) If it's not totally straight, I get this weird interference/horizontal banding about every 2-3". Thinking of just getting RCA to BNC cable instead. Any suggestions as to manufacturer?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Richo
Thanks again guys. Picked up the 274-303B gold series. Picture on the Panny is awesome! However, I have a bad Red lead on my component cable and needs to be replaced. (Got pinched right at the connector.) If it's not totally straight, I get this weird interference/horizontal banding about every 2-3". Thinking of just getting RCA to BNC cable instead. Any suggestions as to manufacturer?
Bettercables.com, go for a set

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Richo

I bought the Belden/Canare Premium 3-channel BNC/RCA 6FT cable and I am very happy with it. No adapter needed to connect to my Panny Plasma!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.