AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this one is crazy so I will go slow.

I canceled Comcast. I got myself an HD antenna. Works great.

I want to connect my Xbox360 and my TV service (antenna) to my DVR without compromising my HDMI that I get through the Xbox 360.

I have

Phillips 37' LCD Pixel Plus with 2 HDMI ins. And the standard RCA's.

The digital antenna

A Psyclone HDMI and Optical switcher. 5 ports.

Playstation 3

Xbox 360

Toshiba DR420 (the DVR) It has S cable out/in, HDMI out/RCA's in and out

Sony STR-DG800 Which has HDMI passover, 2 HDMI ins and two S-Cable ins, and tons of RCA stuff.

So how do I get both my TV and Xbox 360 hooked into the same DVR without having to sacrifice my HDMI hook ups?

I went to Best Buy and they didn't know. I tried that Yahoo Answers too. You all are my last hope to make this work.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,154 Posts
Your DVR does not have a TV tuner. So first you need to put a TV tuner between the Antenna and the DVR. Figuring out how to make the setup do a future recording will be tricky.

You should have purchased a different DVR like Toshiba's 560, same series as yours, it just has the tuner added.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, that will be interesting since the DVR needs to have control over the channel for future recording.

Why does your XBOX go through the DVR?

Once the tuner is figured out, this shouldn't be very difficult. The switcher you have will make this hook up a lot easier to figure out.

What do you hook your Playstation up with?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A tuner! DUH! Why didn't I think of that!

OK so one step up. Yeah that does make things quite easy.

The DVR to the Xbox is for selfish reasons. I watch Netflix through the Xbox and I like to record the movies onto DVD. So when I travel and stuff and have free time I can watch it. I also would like to record all the seasons of Lost onto disk.

The Playstation 3 goes into the HDMI switcher, HDMI switcher to TV of course, then the optical to the switcher and then switcher to the receiver for sound.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Does your current Toshiba DR420 (or the suggested Toshiba D-R560 DVD Recorder) even have digital inputs at all? Are you just trying to not sacrifice the HDMI hookups to the TV...or through the recorder too?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, no see the XBox 360 has it in such a way where you can only have one of the other. You either use HDMI or the RCA's and there is no way to use both because the dongle they supply uses the same port. I would hate to have to unplug my HDMI just to record and lose picture quality.

I sort of got it sorted though. I bought an AV switcher. So DVR into switcher, then from the switch, to Xbox and TV. So to go from recording Xbox to TV I just flip the switch. It was about 50 bucks. It was the only one I could find that used S-Cable, which is the highest quality connection to record with on my DVR. So far it works. I lose recording quality a bit but maintain the picture quality when playing games and watching movies without having to pull plugs out and such.

If I was not so cheap I would just get cable.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devisissy /forum/post/17078227

If I was not so cheap I would just get cable.

LOL

I lived with my grandparents for about a year out of college and, when I moved in, my grandfather had dial up internet. The first thing I did was pay for high speed to be put in. When I left, he cancelled it. But, after a few months of dealing with dial up, he ended up going back.

Anyway, you might end up finding yourself doing the same thing...at least to basic cable and then using MythTV or something else for DVR and what not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts