AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Wega finally died, so I am aiming for a plasma. [ this week]

Here is the dilemma, I am considering a] a 46 inch panasonic tcp4632c, 720 resolution,

or b] a panasonic tcp46s30 1080p resolution.

The 720 is local, and is less expensive [ could return it easier if I had to, I THINK]

The 1080 is something I would have to order online.

I have dish HD and from all the reading I've been doing today, Dish only broadcasts 1 true 1080 channel.

Some are not Hd, others that are HD, well, I understand are HD lite. [ what is the point then of 1080p?]

I was told I would have to sit twice as far away [ ?] with the 720

Is the resolution that much better on 1080p even tho the broadcasts are not true HD?

What about text [ subtitled movies, closed captioned, etc.] better on one than the other?

Anyone have either of these models? If so are you satisfied with PQ?

I will take all the advice I can get, even tho I am starting to feel overwhelmed, and no smarter than before I started my due diligence.

Thanks to all who take the time to reply!

I've been reading these forums for weeks,

·
Registered
863 Posts
You don't say how far away from the set you will be sitting. From a Pure Resolution perspective (that is, other PQ differences aside) Seating Distance is a "critical" factor in deciding between a 720p and 1080p set.

That being said, pricing between 720 & 1080 sets are so close these days that it is hard to recommend the lower resolution.

Also, recent Panasonic 720p sets seem to have taken at least a Relative step-backwards in overall quality as compared to their 1080p sets - particularly noticeable in the decision to drop the 50" models from 1366x768 to only 1024x 768.

Personally, would not buy a 1024x768 set that was LARGER than 42" - but if you are sitting far enough away, and/or have a limited enough budget, the 46" 720 set would probably work for you.

·
Registered
744 Posts
How long did you own your WEGA? My guess is it was quite a long time. If you take the cost and spread it out over the time you owned the set it is probably pennies a day. You will more than likely own your plasma a long time to so I would cut corners over price (with in reason). I have a Panasonic S1 58" 1080p that is now 2 years old and I love it. I sit 11-13 feet from it and it's not to big. I would say get the biggest 1080p that that will fit your space. You won't ever wish you got a smaller or cheaper set once you have it! I would also recommend you look into Directv ...they have lot's of 1080 to watch. I have it and love it also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr /forum/post/20882232

You don't say how far away from the set you will be sitting. From a Pure Resolution perspective (that is, other PQ differences aside) Seating Distance is a "critical" factor in deciding between a 720p and 1080p set.

That being said, pricing between 720 & 1080 sets are so close these days that it is hard to recommend the lower resolution.

Also, recent Panasonic 720p sets seem to have taken at least a Relative step-backwards in overall quality as compared to their 1080p sets - particularly noticeable in the decision to drop the 50" models from 1366x768 to only 1024x 768.

Personally, would not buy a 1024x768 set that was LARGER than 42" - but if you are sitting far enough away, and/or have a limited enough budget, the 46" 720 set would probably work for you.

OK, I'd be about 9-10 ft away. So, which one?

I'm leaning [ hard] towards 46", larger would be too big for my space.

Confusion here is the comments [ that I've been reading on more than one site]that the 720 is better than 1080 for SD and less than 1080 resolutions, I guess if most of the broadcasts were HD it would be a no-brainer. Looking at them in a store is realy kinda bogus as everything is off the same feed. So, I need advise from someone who has seen both resolutions hooked up to a home feed. So at 46" the 720 would not be as good? And my seating distance is not good for a 720? What does it look like if you sit too close? That is probably what I should have asked!

Thanks for replying

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman /forum/post/20882248

How long did you own your WEGA? My guess is it was quite a long time. If you take the cost and spread it out over the time you owned the set it is probably pennies a day. You will more than likely own your plasma a long time to so I would cut corners over price (with in reason). I have a Panasonic S1 58" 1080p that is now 2 years old and I love it. I sit 11-13 feet from it and it's not to big. I would say get the biggest 1080p that that will fit your space. You won't ever wish you got a smaller or cheaper set once you have it! I would also recommend you look into Directv ...they have lot's of 1080 to watch. I have it and love it also.

Actually, I only had it about three years, didn't buy it new, but it had the best PQ I ever saw. I'm really sad it went belly up, because now I am going thru this torture of finding something that is comprable and I don't know how to choose. What a learning curve!

I'm gratefull for all the replies.

Had direct, really was ok, but what I got for the $ was not acceptable. So far, dish is way more customer friendly, believe me!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK /forum/post/20882259

I'd buy the samsung pn43d450 before the 720p panasonic. And the s30 above both. But I would also spend more and go to st30.

I've read the thread about the 450. Sam's club has the 440 I could look at.

Have you personally seen the st30? I've read about that too, though 3D doesn't hold any interest for me. Is the picture on st30 really that much better than the s30?

None of the stores where I live has the 46 s30 or st30 so I'm working on the blind. [ I haven't come across the 450,either]

One other thing I forgot to ask, is the panasonic extended warranty any good, or is there a better one out there? With all the different issues out there, this seems to be a must. I'd hate to drop a bunch of $ only to end up with a brick a year or more down the road.

Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I work for a retailer so yes I have seen them all. The st30 is worth it forget about 3d better panel, so less reflection, deeper blacks, and all around better contrast. I was just saying of the 720p sets I would prefer the samsung. Personally, I would never purchase anything lower then the st30.

And the extended warranty all in all up to you. Most companies that sell the tvs do the same kind of warranty as panny would with a few exceptions. Personally I've had my 50 inch samsung two years not an ounce of an issue with it. So I wouldn't buy into it, but it is like gambling. Granted with a lot higher odds in your favor.

·
Registered
863 Posts

Quote:
OK, I'd be about 9-10 ft away. So, which one?

I'm leaning [ hard] towards 46", larger would be too big for my space.

At 9 - 10 feet, you would probably be OK with up a 50" 1366x768 set.

Again, would AVOID buying a 1024x768 set that is larger than 42" - for that reason, we have stopped recommending the 50" Panasonic "720p" sets, in favor of Samsungs. (Which are REFLECTIVE as all get-out, but OK if you can control light source / direction.)

Would agree that the Pan ST30 appears to offer Much Better overall PQ than the S30. OTOH, most OWNERS of the S30 appear to be Quite Happy with their sets...

(What IS the resolution on the 46" tcp4632c - ??)

Best deal on extended warranty right now seems to be the Square Trade offer at CostCo -- and you do NOT have to buy the tv at Costco to take advantage of their pricing.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And the extended warranty all in all up to you. Most companies that sell the tvs do the same kind of warranty as panny would with a few exceptions.

Clarify please. What exceptions?[ Better?]

thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr /forum/post/20886462

At 9 - 10 feet, you would probably be OK with up a 50" 1366x768 set.

Again, would AVOID buying a 1024x768 set that is larger than 42" - for that reason, we have stopped recommending the 50" Panasonic "720p" sets, in favor of Samsungs. (Which are REFLECTIVE as all get-out, but OK if you can control light source / direction.)

Would agree that the Pan ST30 appears to offer Much Better overall PQ than the S30. OTOH, most OWNERS of the S30 appear to be Quite Happy with their sets...

(What IS the resolution on the 46" tcp4632c - ??)

Best deal on extended warranty right now seems to be the Square Trade offer at CostCo -- and you do NOT have to buy the tv at Costco to take advantage of their pricing.

Good Luck!

OK, I measured my seating distance, it is 8' .

I went to panasonic web site, entered" tcp4632c " and it came up as tcp46C2. It is what you said to avoid, "1024x768"

Guess I will move past that.

Another anoying thing tho, the newer sets have less hook-ups. Not everything I have is HDMI. No rca audio jacks [ out] either.

I've seen squaretrade on Amazon. Costco is over 100 miles for me.

One thing tho, why would the specs on that 720 show "HD display capability as 1080p,1080i, and 720p?

and what is "ISFccc" ? that was listed there also.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted /forum/post/20886892

OK, I measured my seating distance, it is 8' .

I went to panasonic web site, entered" tcp4632c " and it came up as tcp46C2. It is what you said to avoid, "1024x768"

Guess I will move past that.

Another anoying thing tho, the newer sets have less hook-ups. Not everything I have is HDMI. No rca audio jacks [ out] either.

I've seen squaretrade on Amazon. Costco is over 100 miles for me.

One thing tho, why would the specs on that 720 show "HD display capability as 1080p,1080i, and 720p?

and what is "ISFccc" ? that was listed there also.

Thank you!

1: Because it can sync up with a 1080 signal and convert it to 720. It should be worded "Input Signal Capability: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p".

2: ISF http://www.imagingscience.com/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit /forum/post/20887170

1: Because it can sync up with a 1080 signal and convert it to 720. It should be worded "Input Signal Capability: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p".

2: ISF http://www.imagingscience.com/

Ok, then can a 720 signal be upconverted to 1080?[ if you have a 1080p?]

Is this calibration disc as good as any?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted /forum/post/20888467

Ok, then can a 720 signal be upconverted to 1080?[ if you have a 1080p?]

Is this calibration disc as good as any?

Thanks for the help

If you get a TV that is 1080p then it will upconvert everything to 1080p (the better the original the better it will look after upconverting), if you get a TV that is 720p then it will (down)convert everything to 720p. I agree in making sure you have at least a 1080p TV but also going as big as possible. I used to sit your same distance from a 42" and it was less than 720p and I could see the pixels even on that small of a TV and "far" away, now I have a 60ST30 1080 and it is crisp and clear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
If you get a TV that is 1080p then it will upconvert everything to 1080p (the better the original the better it will look after upconverting), if you get a TV that is 720p then it will (down)convert everything to 720p. I agree in making sure you have at least a 1080p TV but also going as big as possible. I used to sit your same distance from a 42" and it was less than 720p and I could see the pixels even on that small of a TV and "far" away, now I have a 60ST30 1080 and it is crisp and clear.
What is your viewing source?

I don't have any blueray. Not realy planning on that soon.

So, does 1080p plus "bigger" equal better PQ?

I don't have a big living room, and I was hoping 46" is big enough. I know, Alot of posters keep saying go bigger, but at 8ft away, a 1080p @ 46" should be decent size, I would think

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I watch blu-rays, play games, but my wife and I mostly watch netflix/web streams or downloads which still look very good. I say don't limit yourself now cause if you have this TV for many years why cut out features you may use in the future? A 1080p 50"will not look as crisp as a 1080p 42" because the pixels are larger on the 50" but you will see more of the details on the bigger TV easier. Really no one ever says they wish they had a smaller TV. I sit 4-5' away from my 42" in my Den and I kinda wish I got a 46" but I sit 9-10' away from my 60" and I think it is just right.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist /forum/post/20892854

I watch blu-rays, play games, but my wife and I mostly watch netflix/web streams or downloads which still look very good. I say don't limit yourself now cause if you have this TV for many years why cut out features you may use in the future? A 1080p 50"will not look as crisp as a 1080p 42" because the pixels are larger on the 50" but you will see more of the details on the bigger TV easier. Really no one ever says they wish they had a smaller TV. I sit 4-5' away from my 42" in my Den and I kinda wish I got a 46" but I sit 9-10' away from my 60" and I think it is just right.

Well, based on your findings, a 46" @ 8 ft seems like a good compromise. [ 1080p] Even if I have to move a bit closer. I'm just thinking a 50" might overpower my [ new, and not cheap] entertainment stand, and my room. I know your right, no one ever wishes they went smaller, cheaper.

One more thing tho, I watch some subtitled movies, some downloaded avi movies.

Will I be able to read the text with the above set up as good as my now dead crt? It's kinda important.

Thanks for your help, sunkist

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.