Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I got an RCA RT-2500.

Awesome. Back in it's day and even today it's a great 700W reciever.

Thing is, like an idiot I didn't think to try using the coaxial input for a DVD player since not too many of the good ones use optical...

Thing that bugs me is....the inputs on the reciever go:

Optical - DVD

Optical - SAT

Coax - CD

CD? Now...I read somewhere in my manuel about PCM sound for this...Should I still be able to use my coax input for DVD player? I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I am planning if it looks like I cant. I know labels don't mean everything, but sometimes a reciever can be picky...

Anyhoo. Thanks if you guys can help!

BTW....You can download the manuel here, if it helps:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...&append-uid=no

·
Registered
621 Posts
Optical is technically and theoretically a weaker connection than coaxial.

Yes, you can use 'CD'-labelled coax with DVD. Nothing else is different, it's just the 'name' of the input.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Disagree. Optical and coax are theoretically equivalent. The implementation may favor one over the other.

The only problem he may have is that the inputs may not be assignable between devices on this receiver. (I haven't read the manual.) The labels lead be to believe that they're not, which may be why it was on eBay in the first place.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
Disagree. Optical and coax are theoretically equivalent. The implementation may favor one over the other.

The only problem he may have is that the inputs may not be assignable between devices on this receiver. (I haven't read the manual.) The labels lead be to believe that they're not, which may be why it was on eBay in the first place.
With optical you'll have to do electrical->optical and optical->electrical conversions and the joining of the fiber to the transmitter or receiver is never very good. This causes some bit errors.

I also believe the inputs are not assignable, but I dont see why he cant use CD for DVD. It wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I can put my XBOX's or PS2's optical cable through the SAT or DVD input. It doesn't matter....

What's this whole CD "PCM" thing?

BTW...I didn't get this on ebay. What you talking about? I bought it at Futureshop years ago.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
What you can also do is get an optical selector switch so you can hook up 3 optical cables to one input,and pcm is stereo only where bitstream is multi channel. You can get them at www.partsexpress.com

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
XBOX has digital audio outputs, and video output, just like typical sat and dvd players, so it doesnt matter what teh label is. But, the CD digital input probably does not have a corresponding video input associated with it sicne cd players do not output any video. If you are not using the RCA for video switching as well, you can use any of the digital inputs for any digital output device you have.

PCM= Pulse Code Modulation, which is the standard for cd audio, always has been.

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Quote:
With optical you'll have to do electrical->optical and optical->electrical conversions and the joining of the fiber to the transmitter or receiver is never very good. This causes some bit errors.
Not this again.

Coax signals have to be passed through a poor quality pulse transformer on each end. The signal amplitude is only 500mV p-p.

TOSLINK requires an electrical signal to be converted to light, accomplished using an LED...a very very mature technology. Conversion of electricity to light has been around for a long time, it doesn't 'introduce' errors at all.

In other words, there is no difference between optical ond coax.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tvtech1
Not this again.

Coax signals have to be passed through a poor quality pulse transformer on each end. The signal amplitude is only 500mV p-p.

TOSLINK requires an electrical signal to be converted to light, accomplished using an LED...a very very mature technology. Conversion of electricity to light has been around for a long time, it doesn't 'introduce' errors at all.

In other words, there is no difference between optical ond coax.

Oh......yes there is.........

One is copper and the other is fiberoptic...:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well boys,

I got an expensive coax cable and put one end into the DVD player and the other into the CD (Coax) port on my reciever and........................

No sound.

I tried switching it from Analog to Coaxial and it did nothing.

I knew this was gonna happen. Any ideas guys? Cause this sucks... =(

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Evan Nash
Well boys,

I got an expensive coax cable and put one end into the DVD player and the other into the CD (Coax) port on my reciever and........................

No sound.

I tried switching it from Analog to Coaxial and it did nothing.

I knew this was gonna happen. Any ideas guys? Cause this sucks... =(
Expensive cables will not work with RCA equipment, dont you know that? ;)

FOr a test you could have grabbed any old rca patch cable.

What were you trying to playback? Did you try a simple cd 1st? Lets make sure you've got a working connection b4 you throw in the towel. Check your dvd players setup menu and see if you have the choice of outputting digital as PCM instead of bitstream.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK boys.

I made it work.

What I had to do is turn off the Smart Detect. But still how it DOES work doesn't make any sense, but hell, I aint complaining...

Thanks guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.