AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some expert advice on a media streamer for my father in law. I am surprising him with this for xmas.

Here is what I need it to do:

1) Work wireless

2) Have HDMI out

3) Have optical audio out (negotiable)

4) stream content (music from pc)

5) user friendly

So, right now I am leaning towards an AppleTV, but would rather not give him something that is crippled by Apple's limited supported codecs. I'd jump right in the new Sage TV, but wireless is extra, and would bump the price up to $200 (plus it doesn't seem to be extremely user friendly, it does a lot of stuff we don't need, like place shifting).

You advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
237 Posts
one big question is how does he plan on storing/updating content(movies mainly)?

Does he need a UI that will automatically update when new movies are added?

A lot of times UI with nifty looking graphics/abilities require user intervention on the PC side, how well can he handle that?

for instance if I was purchasing a media streamer for my dad, he would be almost clueless as far as adding additional content to stream to the device. He would have no idea about creating specific folders in specific locations and making sure there is a .nfo, or .tag file created for each file. let alone trying to explain to him exactly how it interfaces with the TV.

Does your FiL rip his own DVD/Blu-Rays? Does he download content to stream to the device?

lots of questions because ultimately you're going to be his personal customer support representative on this one.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness /forum/post/19631203

I need some expert advice on a media streamer for my father in law. I am surprising him with this for xmas.

Here is what I need it to do:

1) Work wireless

2) Have HDMI out

3) Have optical audio out (negotiable)

4) stream content (music from pc)

5) user friendly

So, right now I am leaning towards an AppleTV, but would rather not give him something that is crippled by Apple's limited supported codecs. I'd jump right in the new Sage TV, but wireless is extra, and would bump the price up to $200 (plus it doesn't seem to be extremely user friendly, it does a lot of stuff we don't need, like place shifting).

You advice is greatly appreciated.

Generally speaking, buying a streamer as a gift is a bad idea, if only because there's a lot of maintenance/config involved in them. Unless you're sure he's tech savvy, or you plan on being his tech support, I'd stick with an Apple TV.

You also make it sound like it will only stream music? In that case it's even more of a no-brainer for ATV - most streamers have horrible music interfaces (maybe the Sage doesn't, but not really sure).

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Luckily, my father in law is pretty tech savvy, but just doesn't like to spend money (he just bought a new HDTV on Black Friday). I went over to the apple store to test out the ATV, and I am going to go with that. It's cheap ($99), has wireless built in, and I can show him how to transcode/encode his music library to apple friendly format (dbPowerAmp). He'll probably use it mostly for music, and a little bit of Netflix. So done deal. Thanks again for the responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts