AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I recently installed Win7. I copied all my stuff from my C drive to an 1tb HP personal media drive that i use to record tv shows in order to do a clean install. Well two days ago i accidentally powered down my computer by unplugging the wrong cord from the surge protector. Well now my computer sees the drive but is forcing me to reformat it and under device manager the drive is shown as RAW data. Is there a way to retrieve my files, that doesnt cost an arm and a leg? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ive had luck recovering from "raw" data drives using easeus You can download to see if it can recognize any files on the disk, but to recover i believe you need a registered version.

·
Registered
701 Posts
There are a few programs out there that will help you recover lost files. IMHO none of them work very well without getting a paid version. Look for one that allows you to recover data from a boot CD though, you're much less likely to damage the data the more you can stay out of windows.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode22 /forum/post/18211677

Ok so I recently installed Win7. I copied all my stuff from my C drive to an 1tb HP personal media drive that i use to record tv shows in order to do a clean install. Well two days ago i accidentally powered down my computer by unplugging the wrong cord from the surge protector. Well now my computer sees the drive but is forcing me to reformat it and under device manager the drive is shown as RAW data. Is there a way to retrieve my files, that doesnt cost an arm and a leg? Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem once except it was 2 drives. I almost lost all of my music and mkv files. Some how the partition table got screwed up and made the disks unreadable I used a free program called testdisk thats on The Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to fix the drive. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

The program will scan the disk for lost partitions and fix it.

Once I fixed the drive I moved all of data off the drive and repartitioned/format the drive with acronis wd edition.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp

When using the disc select parted magic from the boot menu. Then select default settings. a windows interface will load. select test disk from the start menu.

start/system tools/testdisk

start program

select no log

select drive to be fixed

select intel as drive format

select analyse

if a lost partition is found on the drive it will tell you, and give you the option to fix it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I also lost information off my 2tb drive from messing with WHS. I used the ultimate boot cd and they have a lot of tools on there that will restore the partition. Don't format the drive in win7!!! I did that and i could still retrieve the data but had to have the pc scan the sectors and build the files onto another drive. I got +90% back but took a couple days to transfer everything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive done testdisk and after the analyze step, it says this....

structure ok. Use up/down to select partition

Use left/right to change partition characteristics

*: primary bootable, P: primary,L: Logical, E: extend, D: delete

Keys A: add partition, L: load backup, T: change type, P: list files,

enter to continue

NTFS, 1000 GB/ 931 GiB

Which do i select to fix it? thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18212312

I also lost information off my 2tb drive from messing with WHS. I used the ultimate boot cd and they have a lot of tools on there that will restore the partition. Don't format the drive in win7!!! I did that and i could still retrieve the data but had to have the pc scan the sectors and build the files onto another drive. I got +90% back but took a couple days to transfer everything.

which tools did you use to recover your files? thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good news guys....ive been able to recover the files. Im in the process right now of getting them.

In case anyone runs into this problem the program im using is called recuva just google it and its free (which is sweet). Thanks to those of you who chimed in.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode22 /forum/post/18213500

ive done testdisk and after the analyze step, it says this....

structure ok. Use up/down to select partition

Use left/right to change partition characteristics

*: primary bootable, P: primary,L: Logical, E: extend, D: delete

Keys A: add partition, L: load backup, T: change type, P: list files,

enter to continue

NTFS, 1000 GB/ 931 GiB

Which do i select to fix it? thanks

Its been a while since I did it.

It shows a partition on the drive.Thats good! I am guessing there is one partition on the drive to select. press enter to continue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks eddie2u...i ended up using that other program. i did press enter and it said i needed to reboot in order to do the changes, but nothing changed. Thanks for your help though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts