AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first post - apologies in advance if I breach any forum etiquette or ask any really dumb questions.

First question: is it possible to search within a single thread? I confess that I have not read all 53 pages of the DG45ID thread, nor all 33 pages of the DG45FC one.

I'm trying to build a completely fanless HTPC. Yes, I know it's more hassle than it's worth, but please hear me out. This is not to be a gaming machine, it's basically a future-proof DVD player that will have HD capability and 7.1 audio and, once UK cable TV decryption is legal, PVR capability (no need for that at the moment because so little is free-to-air in the UK). It's also going to double as a storage server, web server, mail server etc. etc. So it does not need tons of CPU or GPU power beyond what the X4500HD can provide. It's going to be in the living room, where the wife sits, which is why it must be totally silent. I mean really, totally silent. My wife has hearing like a bat.

So, second question: is the G45 chipset with X4500HD still the best choice? I read in one thread that a new version is due out this month - is there a better chipset or IGP just around the corner?

If it is still the best choice, I'm set on one of the DG45 motherboards. The main issue for me is the case: I don't mind whether I get the microATX or the miniITX board, as long as I can get an affordable fanless case/PSU/CPUcooler solution. The best I can find so far is the mCubed HFX Micro M2 Mini-ITX Fanless aka HFX722 - but that's 360 pounds for case+PSU, which seems an awful lot to me (it's as much as all the other components together: motherboard, CPU, RAM, 2x HD, slimline DVD).

Third question: what is the best value fanless case for a DG45 board?

Related question: if the case doesn't supply a fanless CPU cooler (which the HFX does), which is the best one of those to get? They tend to be quite large, which might rule out miniITX cases ...

After the fans, the rest of the noise tends to come from hard disks. Final question: is there any drawback to using 2.5" HDs, which tend to consume less power and produce less noise?

Many thanks in advance for any responses. Next stop the Speakers forum!!

Cheers,

CC

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Look directly above the first displayed post on a page and you'll find the following links:

View First Unread

Search this Thread

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to AVS magnate.

Quote:
where the wife sits, which is why it must be totally silent. I mean really, totally silent. My wife has hearing like a bat.

LOL So do I for a guy. I have the same issue. My mind tracks any spurious noise in a quiet room. And I like my quiet for thinking while doing PC work.

I haven't found anything silent that's feasible money wise but I'll watch this thread for ideas.

I built a quiet PC with the DG45FC. See the threads at the top of this subforum like htpc mboard, etc. My setup is in there.

Duder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both the replies and the welcome. It seems like fanless cases are just ridiculously expensive - I guess there's really very little demand. My problem is that if I build something with "silent" fans and she can hear them, I'm totally stuffed. Ho hum.

In the meantime, the choice seems to have got harder, as THG seems to disagree with the prevailing view here, rating both the Nvidia 9300 and the AMD 790 IGP chipsets as superior to the G45. I think that's partly because THG is quite gamer-orientated, but they also had severe criticisms of the G45 drivers.

That said, I'm committed to Linux and not remotely interested in running games on this machine, so I'm still leaning towards the G45. Now off to have a thorough search of the DG45ID thread ...

CC

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you given any thought to placing the computer in a sound-proofed closet or other remote location and running an appropriately long HDMI cable? This might be your best option if your wife's hearing is that acute.

JN Porter

·
Registered
11 Posts
well, cases such as mcubed hfx or zalman tnn are not that much more expensive compared to other hi-end htpc cases.

people pay even more for the (less useful imo) cases with lcd touchscreens and so on.

as for hard disks, you might want to use one of the hdd silencer boxes available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts