AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking for laterally position-able cylinder design sub-woofers - the Anthony Gallo TR-2/TR-3 is ideal but alas, it is out of my price range. Does anyone know of any other subs which are similar from any other brands that are more affordable and of similar spec? I would even consider a Kit as long as it was pretty easy to put together by the average person! All my searches have so far proved fruitless so if anyone can help me out here I would be really grateful! Here's what the Gallo subs look like and I would want something similar - with all the thousands of different subs out there, I did not think only one brand would offer this type of design - normally one can find speakers in all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes and sizes!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Elemental Designs makes one that is designed to sit vertically. I'm not clear on your budget, so helping you is difficult to say the least.

Edit: Actually, it's more like a geometrical shape and list for $5,000.00

·
Premium Member
8,820 Posts
If you want to try to get something that will blow your socks off you could try to build cylinder subs yourself.

One member, MKTheater, built 4 cylinder subs using very good drivers. He decided to cut them in half and make them sealed instead of ported.

I am sure that he would be willing to discuss any such process with you. He is very happy with the results and the cost.

You could also try a really good search for the HSU 1220 TN. It came out even before the cylinder subs from SVS. The problem is they are discontinued and not easy to find. But I won't forget that when tested they could put out 101 db at 12.5 Hz which is pretty good for a relatively inexpensive sub.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Other than for some aesthetic value, I don't understand the need for a sub like the Gallo. What is it about this form factor that has you limiting your search?

It's dimensions indicate it is a sealed enclosure, even though they don't say it on their specs. The other cylinder subs being mentioned are ported, much taller, and are designed to be vertically oriented. Yes, they can be laid on their side, but that's not how they were designed.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

Ha! You crazy Americans just love having things BIG!!! Seriously though, thanks for all the input so far but I need something small like the Gallo subs due to space and placement considerations. Those SVS & similar subs are huge - they look like they can inflict some very serious structural damage to one's house!

I would not have a clue about how to build a sub - I figure there is a lot of hidden "Physics" involved - I am more of a "Monkey See, Monkey Do" type of person - if there was a ready made kit that showed say, step by step instructions and was basically just putting together the main components and parts together then I may be OK but anything more than that and I get lost real quick!

Are there any other options available out there? Looks like I may have to keep an eye out on the classifieds but I think the chances of finding one are pretty slim to be honest!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
There are many small sealed box subwoofers available that are much more affordable than the Gallo. Just guessing here as I don't find a price anywhere. From the Gallo web site, it looks like the TR-3 is no longer made.

Where are you located?

Again, besides the shape, what is it about the Gallo that has you excluding a box sub?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/16851323

There are many small sealed box subwoofers available that are much more affordable than the Gallo. Just guessing here as I don't find a price anywhere. From the Gallo web site, it looks like the TR-3 is no longer made.

Where are you located?

Again, besides the shape, what is it about the Gallo that has you excluding a box sub?

Hi,

Well, its about space and also unobtrusiveness (GAF)! I will have it inside a cabinet with my Plasma on top and I can just drill a round hole in the one piece fold up door of the cabinet so I get a very smooth, seamless clean look and the sub will face into the room. It also negates having a ugly black box taking up space and being in the way in the room - this is a very big issue with the g/f!!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Here look at this, http://revision3.com/systm/boom

If you have tools, or know someone that does, should not be to hard to build. And I am sure you have sono tubes wherever you are, pretty standard building material I would suspect worldwide.

Mike

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
There are some very nice looking, furniture grade finished, small box subs out there. The question is, are they available at your location.

You can find them in Gloss Black, Rosewood, Oak, Maple and other finishes that will look good in a living room. You can also go plain black and build it into your cabinet the same way you are considering doing with a Gallo.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper 24 /forum/post/16851234

This would blow the Gallo away, but its large, actually its larger than the SVS's. I'm thinking about selling my SVS 25-31pci and trying it out. http://www.funkywaves.net/catalog.cfm?item=fw_15_1 $800.00 for a 15in 1300watt sub isn't bad at all. Anyone every listen to one?

I've owned one for coming up on a year now.

To the OP contact Funky Waves and they may be able to build you a small horizontal mount cylinder if you want. They are very accommodating that way. Cylinders can be quite a bit less expensive because they are cheap to finish. No fancy veneer etc.

GTSUPER24 feel free to PM me if you want more info but as far as the Fw15.1 The workmanship is top notch. It is not small (it comes up to my chin) I have it placed 2 feet to the side 3 feet behind my seating. I have a carpet over concrete floor so I wanted a bit more feel and the response is smoother than along the front corner of the room.I am running it in 14.5 Hz mode. I have not been able to hear an Ultra but compared to any sub I have heard in someone's home (limited I admit) nothing comes close. In my 2000cubic foot basement it plays more than loud enough . I likely will not reach its limits in my space .

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All,

Well, I live in England! My room is quite small compared to all that lovely open plan spacious homes you yanks have so naturally, things like space and placement options are quite limited especially when one has to accommodate all the other "stuff" most rooms have as well the the added pressure of what the g/f will allow!

I will contact Funky Waves and see what they say but just to give you guys an idea of what I am trying to achieve, please refer to the image below!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Building one is actually quite easy. The hardest part is creating the endcaps but you could always have that done for you. MKTheater had elemental designs cut his for him and ship them along with the drivers he used. I don't know how bad shipping would be since you're in England but you could always pay a local cabinet maker to do it. Once you've got the endcaps made up all that's left is to glue in the port, mount the driver, and glue the endcaps to a length of sonotube (and I suppose you'll need an amp in there somehwere too...).

If you decide to entertain the DIY version further pop into the DIY forum and start up a thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Thanks again to all for the input - I suppose if I can find a small (say 12" Cubed) subwoofer where the speaker "protrudes" out by about 20mm (that this the thickness of the MDF door) then I can ensure the whole speaker points out into the room and not resonate like hell and cause a ton of boom by the sub being fully inside the cabinet and behind the door if that makes sense!!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
528 Posts
When I was in high school I had a 12" sub mounted in a 5 gallon pickle bucket. It sounded great, much better than when it was in an actual MDF enclosure. Does that count?

Let me throw this out there for you. Could you possibly remove the cabinet door and hardware all together and DIY a sub that's the same dimensions as the inside of the cubby? That would certainly expand your options.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help! I have got a REL Q200E Subwoofer now - it is only 12"cubed and a very highly respected sub so I think I will make my life easy and just use that - It has a driver that sticks out about 20-25mm from the body so I should be able to just cut out a round hole the same size as the driver and it should align up nicely with the outer edge of the door cabinet as the MDF is about 19mm thick and everything should be flush & inline (hopefully!) Everyone I have spoken to seems to think it is an awesome sub for it's size which is great to hear!

It does not come with grille so I need to find someone who will custom make one for me - any ideas?

Bazzy!

·
Registered
Sony 75 Z9K, TCL 65 825, Sony X800m2, Denon 4310ci
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmystikcfl /forum/post/16870442

When I was in high school I had a 12" sub mounted in a 5 gallon pickle bucket. It sounded great, much better than when it was in an actual MDF enclosure. Does that count?

Let me throw this out there for you. Could you possibly remove the cabinet door and hardware all together and DIY a sub that's the same dimensions as the inside of the cubby? That would certainly expand your options.

I did the same for 2 high quality subs in my Dart about 10 years ago, maybe much longer. My friend and I had some junky 12"s laying there and were trying to figure out a way to load them so we could see if they were any good or not, then I noticed the buckets from sis's restaurant laying there... Eventually every friend in my circle did it and I ended up with 2 12"s in the trunk of my Dart which could be easily removed when the space was need
They are still around but the Dart is retired. They really did sound good sealed to the lids and paired with a good amp and electronic sub crossover.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/16884412

I did the same for 2 high quality subs in my Dart about 10 years ago, maybe much longer. My friend and I had some junky 12"s laying there and were trying to figure out a way to load them so we could see if they were any good or not, then I noticed the buckets from sis's restaurant laying there... Eventually every friend in my circle did it and I ended up with 2 12"s in the trunk of my Dart which could be easily removed when the space was need
They are still around but the Dart is retired. They really did sound good sealed to the lids and paired with a good amp and electronic sub crossover.

There's one thing you gotta remember when you do it though. Remove the handle! After spending all that time drilling the ridges of the bucket for screws and putting the poly fill in the bottom and drilling and sealing the hole for the wire, it rattled like nothing I've ever heard in my life! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how a solid piece of PVC could possibly rattle. I even took the sub out (which was a royal pain because of the Liquid Nail I sealed it with) to make sure it wasn't the wire hitting the inside. Ahh, good times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.