AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to this forum so please be gentle please :)
it's been 7 years since i got my Receiver (RX-V565) and my sound system (Energy Take Classic 5.1 with the Sub) which wasn't the right match. i dont know why i wasn't thinking about that then.
I finaly got my own house and now i want to setup an entertainment room but i can't afford replacing the whole equipment. way too expensive. i am thinking to reuse them but with small additions.
- add the Yamaha YBA-11 which will give me the wireless streaming.
- add a pair of front tower speakers (the question is about them in fact).
I found a few options curently on sale for the front towers and i don't know which once will be best fit. here are my options:
- Polk Audio R50 150-Watt Tower Speaker - Black - Single - 130$
- Energy Connoisseur CF-50 250-Watt Tower Speaker - Black - Single - 200$
- Polk Audio T600 200-Watt Tower Speaker - Single - 200$
- Final Clearance Precision Acoustics 200-Watt Tower Speaker (HD45) - Single - 150$
- Pioneer SP-FS52, pair - 300$
- PSB Alpha T1, pair - 300$

so with the addition of these towers i actualy make a 7.2 sound system. I heard about the "rull" about matching the brand of all speakers in the system that is why i'm kinda leaning toward Energy towers. But please advise if that's a bad idea and if you dont mind why...
The sale on some of them is ending today. So i would really appreciate if you guys can feedback me by end of day or whenever.
Cheers.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You have some pretty good choices there and I think any of them will work. I happen to pick up the Pioneers and they have done everything but disappoint. The Polk T600 is a little too neutral for my taste but works well for HT. Based on what you want to pay, look at Fluance and even closely Elac

Reactions: stutunaru

·
Registered
863 Posts
To me any satellite with less than a 5.25" woofer is too small. With a good sub-woofer and sats with good frequency response, you really don't need towers. I haven't looked at Polk for years, so not that familiar with their speakers. I'm also not a fan of Pioneer speakers. I feel speakers should come from a manufacturer who focuses on speakers. That said, the PSB look the most attractive to me. Their Alpha Series has been around forever and they received a lot of attention when they debuted. They are also very reasonable.

Another system I think would work for you and I have personal knowledge of, is a Klipsch Synergy system. If you don't mind buying used. I've had a system with four B2 bookshelf speakers and a KV3 center which sounded very nice. I've used it with three different subs, a Klipsch SW8 (small but does a decent job), an Audio Concepts Saturn (DIY w/two 12" woofers) and my current SVS PB-2000 which does an excellent job. The B2 image very well have good tonal balance and are efficient, so should be OK with your Yamaha's 90W/ch. I've seen the B2s on Craigslist and ebay for about $125/pr. The KV3 can be found for about the same. If you prefer surround speakers instead of direct radiating bookshelf for the rear Klipsch' WDST surrounds sound very good with these. I have a pair of RS-3s I've used. Any decent Klipsch sub would round things out nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ROMEO1
What about the fact that some of these towers mentioned earlier above are 3-4 years old? Does that matter at all? I've been reading that this should not matter as long as the materials and quality of product is good but want an expert comment on that as well.
It's tempting to get my hands on some latest speakers but my wallet just can't keep up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me any satellite with less than a 5.25" woofer is too small. With a good sub-woofer and sats with good frequency response, you really don't need towers. I haven't looked at Polk for years, so not that familiar with their speakers. I'm also not a fan of Pioneer speakers. I feel speakers should come from a manufacturer who focuses on speakers. That said, the PSB look the most attractive to me. Their Alpha Series has been around forever and they received a lot of attention when they debuted. They are also very reasonable.

Another system I think would work for you and I have personal knowledge of, is a Klipsch Synergy system. If you don't mind buying used. I've had a system with four B2 bookshelf speakers and a KV3 center which sounded very nice. I've used it with three different subs, a Klipsch SW8 (small but does a decent job), an Audio Concepts Saturn (DIY w/two 12" woofers) and my current SVS PB-2000 which does an excellent job. The B2 image very well have good tonal balance and are efficient, so should be OK with your Yamaha's 90W/ch. I've seen the B2s on Craigslist and ebay for about $125/pr. The KV3 can be found for about the same. If you prefer surround speakers instead of direct radiating bookshelf for the rear Klipsch' WDST surrounds sound very good with these. I have a pair of RS-3s I've used. Any decent Klipsch sub would round things out nicely.
@kjfalls
Appreciate your comments and i do think your advises would be a better setup, the thing is i'm not sure i'm ready now to replace the entire speaker system. I'm limited financially considering the fact that i still need a 65" 4K TV in same room and a couch. i know i probably shouldn't even bother you guys and waste your time with such silly ideas. But the temptation to do at least something to make me think i'm improving my setup, will make me happy :)
So on that note, do you guys think the towers addition will add any value to my system or will actually degrade it in any way?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Technically, age should not matter, but you also want to future proof you system as best as you can. I got caught up in this years ago with the Platinum Audio PT505s whereas the company shut down and they were no longer able to send replacement drivers - ironically I needed one right away. You do want to get the biggest bang for your buck and towers are room filling and when the right choice is made, it will carry you for a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Technically, age should not matter, but you also want to future proof you system as best as you can. I got caught up in this years ago with the Platinum Audio PT505s whereas the company shut down and they were no longer able to send replacement drivers - ironically I needed one right away. You do want to get the biggest bang for your buck and towers are room filling and when the right choice is made, it will carry you for a while.
@ ROMEO 1
Understood, good point.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Hi everyone, new to this forum so please be gentle please :)
it's been 7 years since i got my Receiver (RX-V565) and my sound system (Energy Take Classic 5.1 with the Sub) which wasn't the right match. i dont know why i wasn't thinking about that then.
I finaly got my own house and now i want to setup an entertainment room but i can't afford replacing the whole equipment. way too expensive. i am thinking to reuse them but with small additions.
- add the Yamaha YBA-11 which will give me the wireless streaming.
- add a pair of front tower speakers (the question is about them in fact).
I found a few options curently on sale for the front towers and i don't know which once will be best fit. here are my options:
- Polk Audio R50 150-Watt Tower Speaker - Black - Single - 130$
- Energy Connoisseur CF-50 250-Watt Tower Speaker - Black - Single - 200$
- Polk Audio T600 200-Watt Tower Speaker - Single - 200$
- Final Clearance Precision Acoustics 200-Watt Tower Speaker (HD45) - Single - 150$
- Pioneer SP-FS52, pair - 300$
- PSB Alpha T1, pair - 300$

so with the addition of these towers i actualy make a 7.2 sound system. I heard about the "rull" about matching the brand of all speakers in the system that is why i'm kinda leaning toward Energy towers. But please advise if that's a bad idea and if you dont mind why...
The sale on some of them is ending today. So i would really appreciate if you guys can feedback me by end of day or whenever.
Cheers.
If your usage is mainly HT/TV/gaming rather than music, I'd get bookshelf speakers and make sure you get a nice center speaker that can provide adequate voice clarity, because the center does 70-80% of the HT output. The second priority would be the subwoofer unless you're happy with the Energy sub...this would be surprising, but not unheard of. You can keep your current Energy Take sats for the surrounds.

There is no "rule" that ALL your speakers have to match. There is a popular (albeit questionable) belief in "timbre matching" the front 3 speakers, but definitely not the surrounds to the fronts unless you are either unusually OCD or are one of the rare 3% of users who listens to lots of native-surround music on SACD/DVD-A.

It's entirely possible that you could upgrade JUST the center channel and be perfectly satisfied for the time being. Many people end up replacing their entire 5-7 speakers only because their center does a lousy job of rendering human voices clearly---dialogue is after all the vast bulk of the sound, but for some reason not many people realize that the center speaker is doing 98% of the dialogue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your usage is mainly HT/TV/gaming rather than music, I'd get bookshelf speakers and make sure you get a nice center speaker that can provide adequate voice clarity, because the center does 70-80% of the HT output. The second priority would be the subwoofer unless you're happy with the Energy sub...this would be surprising, but not unheard of. You can keep your current Energy Take sats for the surrounds.

There is no "rule" that ALL your speakers have to match. There is a popular (albeit questionable) belief in "timbre matching" the front 3 speakers, but definitely not the surrounds to the fronts unless you are either unusually OCD or are one of the rare 3% of users who listens to lots of native-surround music on SACD/DVD-A.

It's entirely possible that you could upgrade JUST the center channel and be perfectly satisfied for the time being. Many people end up replacing their entire 5-7 speakers only because their center does a lousy job of rendering human voices clearly---dialogue is after all the vast bulk of the sound, but for some reason not many people realize that the center speaker is doing 98% of the dialogue.
Appreciate that Zorba922
in your opinion which any of below would be a better fit:
- Energy Connoisseur CC-10 100-Watt Centre Channel Speaker - 200$
- PSB Alpha C1 Centre (B) - 150$
- JBL Loft 20 150-Watt Centre Channel Speaker - 200$
i was thinking to include the Klipsch KV-3 in this list as well as per kjfalls comment but i can't find it for sale in Canada.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Appreciate that Zorba922
i was thinking to include the Klipsch KV-3 in this list as well as per kjfalls comment but i can't find it for sale in Canada.
Hmm, Canada is a hard case, prices are kind of crazy over there compared to here in the US. That JBL Loft 20 for example is about $50/pair online here!

Energy and PSB are both respected brands, but I've never heard their center speakers.

I do have the BIC FH-6 which is available in Canada for $217 and it does very well for voice clarity:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B0015A8Y3E/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
More reviews of it on US Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-FH6-LCR-6-5-Inch-Frequency/dp/B0015A8Y3E
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1DYBWMB71UQXB/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

The only Canadian-based internet direct company I've ever heard of is Fluance, and they offer free return shipping so that might be worth checking out:
http://www.fluance.com/center-channel-speaker
http://www.fluance.com/30-day-risk-free-in-home-trial

·
Registered
371 Posts
@stutunaru can I ask what did you end up buying? I am in Canada as well and looking around for a new HT setup

Thanks

Appreciate that Zorba922

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@stutunaru can I ask what did you end up buying? I am in Canada as well and looking around for a new HT setup

Thanks

@busybe unfortunately had a major change of plans because of some personal matters. so i had to lower the priority of this almost to the bottom.

i getting back in shape now so im retunring to the idea.
curently im trying to put togheter a new setup. considering the tight budget i will be keeping the receiver RX-V565, as mentioned before i got the Energy 5.1 classic which i plan to hold on for the rear surround speakers.
- adding front towers Yamaha NS-555
- adding central channel Yamaha NS-C444
- adding sub Yamaha NS-SW100

as mentioned i'll keep the Energy rear speakers for now, untill get more budget for others.

Hope i havent missed anything.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
@busybe unfortunately had a major change of plans because of some personal matters. so i had to lower the priority of this almost to the bottom.

i getting back in shape now so im retunring to the idea.
curently im trying to put togheter a new setup. considering the tight budget i will be keeping the receiver RX-V565, as mentioned before i got the Energy 5.1 classic which i plan to hold on for the rear surround speakers.
- adding front towers Yamaha NS-555
- adding central channel Yamaha NS-C444
- adding sub Yamaha NS-SW100

as mentioned i'll keep the Energy rear speakers for now, untill get more budget for others.

Hope i havent missed anything.
Kind of fortunate that you didn't pull the trigger because being in Canada, your speaker choices are usually slim and grossly overpriced compared to the US... HOWEVER, there is currently *one* option which is shockingly less LESS expensive in Canada than in the US, for some truly excellent speakers:
https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-SuperOne-2-1-Bookshelf/dp/B00LJX4HCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491426641&sr=8-1&keywords=nht+superone

$170 CAD = $128 USD, and those speakers go for $175 USD here!!! I have no idea how Amazon.ca does it, but if I were you I'd grab 3 of those for your fronts (having the center be identical to the L/R is actually the acoustic ideal), and with the huge savings you will be able to easily budget a decent sub like the SVS PB1000:
https://www.electronicsforless.ca/svs-pb-1000-300-watt-dsp-controlled-10-ported-subwoofer-3884.html?zenid=43ffa92f320d4bf7630916e6cb35a2f8

The NHT + SVS combo would easily crush your proposed Yamaha combo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kind of fortunate that you didn't pull the trigger because being in Canada, your speaker choices are usually slim and grossly overpriced compared to the US... HOWEVER, there is currently *one* option which is shockingly less LESS expensive in Canada than in the US, for some truly excellent speakers:
https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-SuperOne-2-1-Bookshelf/dp/B00LJX4HCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491426641&sr=8-1&keywords=nht+superone

$170 CAD = $128 USD, and those speakers go for $175 USD here!!! I have no idea how Amazon.ca does it, but if I were you I'd grab 3 of those for your fronts (having the center be identical to the L/R is actually the acoustic ideal), and with the huge savings you will be able to easily budget a decent sub like the SVS PB1000:
https://www.electronicsforless.ca/svs-pb-1000-300-watt-dsp-controlled-10-ported-subwoofer-3884.html?zenid=43ffa92f320d4bf7630916e6cb35a2f8

The NHT + SVS combo would easily crush your proposed Yamaha combo.
Thanks Zorba922.

This is the first time i've heard of NHT and even SVS. And this is absolutely normal as im a part of those 90% of people who doesn't deal with professional brands and only following the ads of popular commercial brands. Anyways, i just checked these bookshelf speakers and i see lots of good comments abut them so thank you for that. I was thinking i could even get all 5 (front, rear and center) the only hesitation would be for the center. the hesitation is only about the aesthetical aspect. even acoustically would be ideal, aesthetically would look like i couldn't afford a center looking speaker. ok, let's move on as aesthetics aren't the highest priority here for me.
so would you say that using these NHT for front, rear and center would be ok?
would you have a matching center speaker in mind, just as an alternative?

another thing is the sub, i honestly got lost when i saw he rear view. i wouldnt know how to use it fully except just the port going to the AVR.

speaking of AVR, mine is a Yamaha RX-V565 which is still fine for me however im getting more 4K capable boxes so for that i would need an AVR with 4K passthrough. would you recommend a 5.1 one? not very fancy but decent at the same time.

i really appreciate your feedback.

cheers

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
so would you say that using these NHT for front, rear and center would be ok?
would you have a matching center speaker in mind, just as an alternative?

another thing is the sub, i honestly got lost when i saw he rear view. i wouldnt know how to use it fully except just the port going to the AVR.

speaking of AVR, mine is a Yamaha RX-V565 which is still fine for me however im getting more 4K capable boxes so for that i would need an AVR with 4K passthrough. would you recommend a 5.1 one? not very fancy but decent at the same time.
Yes, having identical speakers all around is the gold standard/ideal if one has the budget.

The "matching" center is the NHT SuperCenter, which Amazon.ca sells for $400-1000 CAD...totally nuts. In the US it goes for $200 shipped USD. But it has dual 4" woofers vs the SuperOne's 6.5" woofer so I think that using a single SuperOne would actually sound better.

This Yamaha should be fine:
https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-Bluetooth-Component-Receiver-RX-V383BL/dp/B06XXR6JK3/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

For the sub connection, just call or email SVS, they are extremely helpful over the phone. Or you can look up videos like this---it's quite simple, really:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, having identical speakers all around is the gold standard/ideal if one has the budget.

The "matching" center is the NHT SuperCenter, which Amazon.ca sells for $400-1000 CAD...totally nuts. In the US it goes for $200 shipped USD. But it has dual 4" woofers vs the SuperOne's 6.5" woofer so I think that using a single SuperOne would actually sound better.

This Yamaha should be fine:
https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-Bluetooth-Component-Receiver-RX-V383BL/dp/B06XXR6JK3/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

For the sub connection, just call or email SVS, they are extremely helpful over the phone. Or you can look up videos like this---it's quite simple, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSAQDjuWN0
WOW, you rock!
thank you for priceless info and for doing my home work as well. you know better than me where to find stuff here in Canada being in USA. appreciate that.

last thing wanted to confirm, these NHT wont be an overkill for using them as front as well as rear channels? the room is about 300sq.ft
i was thinking this way i could get rid entirely of that Energy 5.1 Classic.

thanks.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
WOW, you rock!
thank you for priceless info and for doing my home work as well. you know better than me where to find stuff here in Canada being in USA. appreciate that. last thing wanted to confirm, these NHT wont be an overkill for using them as front as well as rear channels? the room is about 300sq.ft i was thinking this way i could get rid entirely of that Energy 5.1 Classic.
Well, I enjoy a challenge, and finding decent gear in Canada at a decent price definitely is a challenge. :)

The SuperOnes would be better if you don't mind the extra cost, and especially if you do any multi-channel native surround music or gaming since they'd be an exact match of the fronts.

Otherwise, you could go with the SuperZeros which are also strangely cheap over there ($100USD over here):
https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-SuperZero-2-1-Mini-Monitor/dp/B00CKNOYWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496694782&sr=8-1&keywords=nht+superzero

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I enjoy a challenge, and finding decent gear in Canada at a decent price definitely is a challenge. :)

The SuperOnes would be better if you don't mind the extra cost, and especially if you do any multi-channel native surround music or gaming since they'd be an exact match of the fronts.

Otherwise, you could go with the SuperZeros which are also strangely cheap over there ($100USD over here):
https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-SuperZero-2-1-Mini-Monitor/dp/B00CKNOYWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496694782&sr=8-1&keywords=nht+superzero
Done!
I hope my wife wont kill me for that as this will be pretty noticeable in our budget. almost $2K for 5 x SuperOne2.1 and SVS-PB1000. Really hope it's worth it. Can't wait to start the setup. what i noticed is that the good speaker wall mount or ceilling or even floor stands/brackets are expensive. im looking for another 300$ for these. Does it worth the risk to go for the no-name chinese stands/brackets?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Done!
I hope my wife wont kill me for that as this will be pretty noticeable in our budget. almost $2K for 5 x SuperOne2.1 and SVS-PB1000. Really hope it's worth it. Can't wait to start the setup. what i noticed is that the good speaker wall mount or ceilling or even floor stands/brackets are expensive. im looking for another 300$ for these. Does it worth the risk to go for the no-name chinese stands/brackets?
Let us know of your thoughts once you setup your new speakers/ Sub. SVS-pb 1000 is an excellent sub. I have it and love it. For speaker stands, how about making it yourself? I made mine - take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let us know of your thoughts once you setup your new speakers/ Sub. SVS-pb 1000 is an excellent sub. I have it and love it. For speaker stands, how about making it yourself? I made mine - take a look.
@busybe that's very good idea. i havent thought about that, but i could resolve that only for the rear. for front and center i want them wall mounted and according to manufacturer they suggest these http://www.omnimount.com/products/speaker_mounts_and_stands/speaker_mounts/stainless_steel_series/10.0_w-c/
which are 40CAD a piece plus taxes and shipping.
the trick in these all mount brackets is that the speaker thread on the back side has to match the thread of the bracket shaft.
i'll keep looking maybe i can find something else for this purpose.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts