AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to remove the fan heatsink and cpu to exchange the motherboard. I noticed some of the thermal interface material had rubbed off the heatsink, and stuck to the top of the cpu. Can I reinstall everything this way, or should I use some thermal paste to ensure a good interface?

thanks.............

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Accabe:

___I am assuming you had the spongy type thermal interface material (TIM) on the HS originally and there should be quite a bit left on the HS. If not and I would suggest this anyway, remove the TIM w/ some alcohol, razor if you have to, your fingers, and elbow grease (do not use a screw driver or similar tool so that you do not scratch the HS surface anymore than it was from the manufacturer) and place a true thermal grease like Artic Silver II or even Radio Shack’s finest for a better heat conductive TIM. Apply sparingly but not to little either. I like to apply the grease in an almost translucent amount and place the HS on the Chip (do not attach just yet). After I pull the HS off, it should still be almost translucent as well as have a bubbly wave type look to the TIM’s surface on top of the CPU. If you see the CPU’s core underneath, simply reapply a little bit more TIM and try again. When you do not see the CPU’s surface and the TIM surface has the wavy look to it, you are about as good as you can get.

___You should have installed a SW based CPU core temp monitor before removing the original HS but if you have not, please install as soon as possible as this is really your only true measure of TIM and HS placement success …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
at www.arcticsilver.com you can find a local retailer for the arctic silver II paste. I don't like to sit around and wait for parts under $10 to arrive. Also, there are good directions at the website for application.

A popular software temp monitor is MBM 5.0. I also use a plugin called MBM Log after reinstalling a heatsink, which will give you a graphical representation of temperature history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Before I reinstall the cooler than came with my Intel socket 478 1.7 ghz cpu, are there better/quieter ones you would recommend? (mobo = abit th7II Raid)?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same problem.

On my Abit TH7II with P4 1.7ghz socket 478 I have a Coolermaster DI4-7H53D which is pretty noisy :mad: ...

I'm looking for something very quiet.

bye

Emanuele

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hey at least you guy don't NEED a delta screamer on yours :eek: Talk about loud.

As for using artic silver vs the Radio shack goop. If you are patient go for the good stuff. Though the radio schack stuff should work quite well if you don't need the extra thermal x-fer for oc'ing :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
There aren't review about P4 socket 478 heatsink !!

So I'm just looking for some personal experience.

I was thinking about replace the fan on my Coolermaster DI4-7H53D with a PAPST model 612NGM which is rated only 28 DB and is about the same RPM...

bye

Emanuele

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Emanuele:

___Be careful … Remember the Anandtech cooling article used an 80 mm Papst 8412NGL fan (~ 20 [email protected] dB(A)) installed on an Alpha 8045 on the 1.4 GHz T-Bird. The Alpha 8045 HS is undoubtedly the most advanced AMD T-Bird based HS available today and does work w/ 20 CFM fans but at some pretty scary under DIE core temps with the higher frequency T-Birds. The 60 mm Papst 612NGM adds more noise w/ ~ the same airflow rated at just 20.6 CFM. With the std. Coolermaster aluminum sinks, who really knows how the combination will perform when subjected to the kind of thermal output a 1.7 GHz P4 or higher can produce. Make darn sure you are watching the core temps because a P4 at 1.7 GHz outputs just 1 W less than the “Heater†otherwise known as the 1.4 GHz T-Bird … The 2.0 GHz P4’s output over 10 W more that the 1.4’s depending on stepping … The cores will not break of course given Intel’s great thermal design capabilities and integrated heat spreader but low heat removal capability and high core temperatures are a killer in the long run no matter who’s chips you use … If you can wait, the 80 mm fanned T-Bird designs should eventually make there way to the latest P4’s but it may be a while given the Retail F/HS’s are reasonably quiet already IMO. The P4 retail CPU F/HS’s don’t match the Alpha and a Silencer or undervolted Sunon on the same in terms of lowered dB output but they are not anything like the Delta’s or any of the 4,500- 7,000 RPM + YS Tech’s and Sanyo Denki’s … If you are in need of some of these little screamers, I have a few you can purchase post haste ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.