AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, here is my problem, i have all three lnb's hooked up, i am receiving 509 and 199 with no problem. NASA on 376 at the bottom say's " Searching for signal" Is nasa not on the same sat. as 199, and 509.? Next problem is can not tune in ShoH 543, at bottom again say's Searching for sat., also 90 will not come in. On 543 and 90 at the top, it does show the correct channel, say's Show. H with discreption of what's on. On 101 sat. have signal strength of 76. and on 119 have signal of 59. Any help would be great !!!

· Registered
4,123 Posts
You're having a problem with even transponders on 119. Both HDNet and HBO HD are on odd, but NASA is on an even one on 119. Same with 90 and 543, they're even transponders coming from 110 into 119 and staying as even.

For whatever reason you receiver isnt getting the even transponders off 119. Re-check your cabling. Did you connect the output of the new combiner in the Sat C kit to the wrong place on your multiswitch?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan i think you are correct i check my Tivo and did a multi -switch test and 119 was not deteced. It did show my odd transponders but not even. It seem's that this is happening on both the rca hidef and the Tivo. I did check all my cables they look ok. Would the mult-switch be bad? If so, do you know if Rat Shack carries anything like this? THANKS!!

· Registered
13 Posts
It looks like I am having the same problem. If I unhook both leads to 119, I can receive Showtime, but once I connect either lead back to the multi switch or the combiner, I lose it.

I guess I'm off to Rat Shack to get another multi-switch, unless someone can suggest another option.

· Registered
957 Posts
Check your cables and your installation.

· Registered
13 Posts
I've gone over the cables and everything is connected where it should

be. With just Sat A & B connected I get strong signal from both. Once I connect Sat C, I lose Sat B and get nothing from C. If I unhook B and leave C connected, I get strong signal on C.

So even one lead from B to either the multi-switch or combiner, and I get nothing from B/C. There are no obvious shorts, or bent pins in the cables, so I am leaning towards a bad combiner, or maybe the multi-switch. I'm inclined not to blame the switch since the system works if the combiner is not installed.

· Registered
13 Posts
Another round of tests results- If I only connect the Sat B leads to the multi-switch and combiner, I get signal on the even and odd transponders. Once Sat C is connected, I lose the evens.

I'm trying to locate another combiner to test, or multi-switch, but the local shops don't have either in stock.

I'm a bit stumped. If the combiner was bad, I wouldn't expect it to work at all, but it does as long as the C lead is disconnected. I'd suspect the LNB for either B or C, yet they work as long as they are exclusively connected. I hate to troubleshoot by random parts replacement, but everything works individually, just not when all connected.

· Registered
72 Posts
Dan,

I think I may have a similar problem as yours (see my "Need a Sat C/multiswitch guru" message here.) My system works fine until I plug in the Sat C line, then it appears to lose the even numbered channels. And I never have any signal from Sat C.

I have double checked the lines into the multiswitch and into the sat c combiner and all connections appear to be correct. I have also checked the lines for visible shorts (other than the new sat C line connection at the LNB - waiting for better weather to do that) and everything looks good to go.

I'm now wondering if the combiner sent with the sat c kit is mislabeled, possibly reversing the input markings. I haven't tried reversing the "line B in" with the "line C in" cables, maybe that's worth a try...provided it won't fry anything on my system? Anyone know if that's possible?

I've already tried reversing my two "18v" lines into my multiswitch and that definitely does not work. I'm also wondering if some multiswitches can't power 3 LNB's, but I have so little knowledge of the actual science I don't even know if that's a possiblity.

If I can't figure this thing out by the end of this coming weekend, I'm gonna start harassing DirecTV to resolve the problem since the Sat C install was supposedly done by a professional (they gave up and left).

Please keep the board posted as to your attempts. Good Luck!

· Registered
239 Posts
There is only one way to put in the sat C kit. It is very important to make sure that the combiner is wired correctly. The combiner is marked Sat C input and sat B input. If those are swapped it will not work, because it is also a filter. You can only use the sat B 18 volt input as that tells the sat C and sat B LNB's that they are on a specific LNB polarization. So the output of the combiner can only go there. Swapping these inputs and outputs will definitely not work. If it is wired as above stated then there might be a problem with either the combiner or the LNB. The switch is probably OK if it worked normally before the sat C install. If there is a problem then send back the kit and ask for a new one.

Hope this helps.

Pat

· Registered
13 Posts
I found it. I'm using Terk diplexors and a powered amp at my OTA antenna. The DTC can't provide enough power for 3 LNBs, the multi-switch and the antenna amp. I put the DC filter in, turning off the antenna amp and all is joy with the Sat-C kit, but I've lost 8 to 25 points on my local channels.

I didn't lose any channels, but a couple are just barely above the DTC's lock point. I may have to try a different antenna without an amp. There's no power on the roof, so I can not use a powered multi-switch or amp for OTA.

Is anyone using a similar setup with diplexors and a powered amp at their OTA antenna?

· Registered
56 Posts
Dan

Back in the day (before all this Sat C madness) I tried using the amp supplied with my RS antenna - both before and after the diplexor. I had a similar experience, dropping every other transponder. This was after I replaced the tiny little diplexors that came with the antenna with the larger (size matters?), more expensive ones from RS, which seemed to pass a stonger signal on some of my digital stations.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a ChannelMaster Stealth antenna with integrated amp. It receives power over the coax lead. My research on the antenna and amp said that it could be powered by the Direct receiver, and would operate over a 12 to 18 volt range.

This worked fine with two LNBs, but clearly the receiver power three and the amp. On a nice day like today I didn't lose any channels, but the weaker ones dropped down to 40-45 signal strength. On the next nasty day we have I'll see if I can stick with the Stealth, or if it is time to step up to a better antenna.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.