AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK people, I wouldn't normally do this but I am really in a quandry. For almost 2mos now I have been trying to get my homebuilt tower to work properly and for some reason I just cannot even get it to post. I am not a novice! I have built many setups in my day and all have worked...until now.

I pretty much went through the whole magilla- brand new MSI P7N Diamond mobo that I sent back to the company for them to check and they verified all was OK.. I purchased a brand new OCZ 1010W PS, all my other components came right out of a working setup so I know they work. I am totally lost!

I really need some help, I am getting tired of using my PS3's awful browser and having no PC at all. If you have any homebuilding knowledge at all and live in the Natick/Framingham area and want to do a longtime AVSForum member a favor, If you help me get things going I willl make it worth your while- take you out for a meal, let you rummage through my considerable pile of spare PC parts (motherboards, videocards, wireless network cards, soundcards routers, etc).

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Did you try to swap RAM?

Are you using the right cpu for the motherboard and the right ram for the motherboard?

Do you have the right connections from powersupply to motherboard?

Is there any LEDs or other diagnostics on the motherboard?

·
Registered
17 Posts
With new computers sometimes you have to boot up with one stick of ram first to adjust the voltage settings since the motherboard does not give the ram enough volts initially. Have you tried this yet?

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said before, I am not a novice. Have built many systems all with success. I tried everything and it SHOULD work. Even tried it outside of the case and it didn't work. Least it should do is post. If I had a wrong CPU or in or it was in the wrong way or unsupported I should get a series of beeps, but I get nada.

I already spoke to the motherboard company many times and as I said I returned it once. I am using a pretty comprehensive MSI P7N Diamond and I transfered over my E6600 and PC5300 ram. I know they worked in my old machine and MSI verified that both my CPU and ram are supported in my motherboard. So I am truly at a loss.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Have you tried a different power supply? Occasionally I run across motherboards, that just don't like a particular power supply, even though it's a perfectly good one, and the same kind of thing happens. NADA, it just doesn;t do anything.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/14281088

Have you tried a different power supply? Occasionally I run across motherboards, that just don't like a particular power supply, even though it's a perfectly good one, and the same kind of thing happens. NADA, it just doesn;t do anything.

Yep, I said I went from a 500W PS to a 1010W PS brand new PS in my first post and no dice (both should have worked according to MSI but I only have 1 videocard in so the 500W should have been fine).

·
Registered
260 Posts
What kind of case do you have? If it's a X-QPack, try another one...some have got weird short-circuit issues w/ the front power switch. Trying it outside the case should have worked.

I'd strip it down to bare minimal (motherboard, 1 stick of memory, PS, case, video card if you need it) then swap stuff. Also reset the motherboard's CMOS.

Try a different motherboard? They're $80 nowadays, so it's worth a shot to test everything else out...

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyee /forum/post/14282174

What kind of case do you have? If it's a X-QPack

It's not. It's a highly rated Rosewill I picked up off of Newegg, a brand new case I specifically picked up new BECAUSE my old one had a short in it. I will call them up tommorow just for the hell of it as this case doesn't have a lead/connector for a "power-switch", it has everything else including a "reset switch: and only one button on top. As for the CMOS buton MSI provides one outside the case and pressing it does nothing and pressing the reset button on the motherboard does nothing as well. Power is geting to the boad as there is a light on it, but that's about it.

As far as picking up a new motherboard, not a chance. This one IS a new motherboard, top of the line $220 (after $250 rebate) nVidia 750i based that can SLI up to 3 cards. I specifically went whole hog here because it would take my old CPU and memory and upgrade whenever I felt like it. This board can pretty much take every combination of newer Intel CPU/memory.

·
Registered
260 Posts
FWIW, I had that symptom "green light on MB" but there was a short on the board and the power supply was "smart" enough to not power up so it wouldn't blow up. You can short a few pins together on the power supply to force it to power up w/o using a case's power switch so that might be something to consider if you don't have a spare case. I'd strongly suggest swapping in an old case since it sounds like you've tested/swapped everything else...

·
Registered
536 Posts
It may be worthwhile to disassemble everything, switch your brain off completely, and simply follow the various installation manuals for your gear to the letter: no interpretations, no shortcuts, nothing but the complete, literal text.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneV /forum/post/14282547

It may be worthwhile to disassemble everything, switch your brain off completely, and simply follow the various installation manuals for your gear to the letter: no interpretations, no shortcuts, nothing but the complete, literal text.

I just did that- remember, I sent my motherboard back to the manufacturer for them to check it and they said it was OK and I just got it back (after over a month's wait!
) and spent a few hours reassembling it and stilll no go.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneV /forum/post/14282547

I just did that- remember, I sent my motherboard back to the manufacturer for them to check it and they said it was OK and I just got it back (after over a month's wait!
) and spent a few hours reassembling it and stilll no go.

This why I said I need outside help. I have no idea what I am doing wrong (if I am doing anything wrong at all). As I said a few times already, I have built numerous systems, all have worked just fine. The thought of paying some clueless Computer Geeks guy who probably knows less than me $200 for nothing gauls me, and to be honest I wouldn't even know where else to take the tower to get it going even if I could. I'd much rather give a member of the forum a spare power supply, video card, etc..

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Did you double check your motherboard standoff position? Yes, you did say you took the MB out, but did you check very carefully that your standoffs are in the correct position.

This is one of those where it does not help to have experience. Your experience may be blocking you from seeing the obvious because you don't believe it to be true. We all do it

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk /forum/post/14284322

Did you double check your motherboard standoff position? Yes, you did say you took the MB out, but did you check very carefully that your standoffs are in the correct position.

Remember, I said I tried it OUTSIDE the case.

Also, this particular case requires no standoffs, it has little mound like protrusions that correspond to the motherboard mounting holes. Either way, if it didn't work outside the case there is something else going on...

·
Registered
260 Posts
bad monitor?

Do the motherboard fans spin up when you press the "power" button? (I'm assuming you hooked up speed controlled fans to cool the CPU) Just wondering how you think it's "on".

This is a really weird one...is there any other way to test out your other new parts (cpu, memory, video card?)

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
This really is getting into official "weird land", but there HAS to be something. Maybe your CPU is bad/not seating properly? CPU cooler screwed in too tight? (Yes, that can cause it as well, I actually had an ABIT AW9D-MAX) that would play dead if I turned the CPU heatsink screws after a certain point. Loosen them that tad bit, and everything would be fine, I too kept thinking it was the PSU, shorting etc etc, and tried 5 different PSUs, and it turned out to be the freakin heatsink).

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Display is fne and if anything the CPU fan isn't screwed in tight enough because I can't reach the final turn on the twist to turn it al the way. But as I said before, even if the CPU was seated improperly I should be geting a POST message of some sort, which should be a series of beeps (I know I have the case speaker hooked up right).

This motherboard has no fans, just heatsyncs/pipes, and when I turn on the PS the only thing that happens is the CPU fan turns briefly and then stops, no post BEEPS, nothing else except a light on the motherboard is on.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

Quote:
I said before, even if the CPU was seated improperly I should be geting a POST message of some sort, which should be a series of beeps (I know I have the case speaker hooked up right).

Nope, not necassarily. A lot of motherboards can't even "beep", if the CPU aint right.

Quote:
This motherboard has no fans, just heatsyncs/pipes, and when I turn on the PS the only thing that happens is the CPU fan turns briefly and then stops, no post BEEPS, nothing else except a light on the motherboard is on.

Had the EXACT same symptoms with that ABIT I mentioned. Turned out to be CPU seating/heatsink. Dunno if that helps in this case, but I'm telling you fiddle with it. Maybe beg/borrow/buy and return later, another CPU?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry I am so far away, I love to work through problems like yours (just like I enjoy pulling my hair out by the roots).

I know you have probably been through this, but just in case...

Try bringing up the motherboard with only the CPU installed. If you get the same behavior that way, odds are on a defective CPU or 12V power connection.

If there is any way to test your configuration with another CPU, that would be ideal.

If you get beeps from the board add a stick of RAM and try booting that configuration.

In my experience, the behavior you are describing is power related. Some conponent is causing a short in the system and keep it from posting.

Good luck. I hope you can find someone locally to help, but you will probably have to work through this by yourself.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You don't have any local computer repair shops that will assist you without charging you a bundle?

Here in central MA there are places that will test my components free of charge, and will also help with troubleshooting.

Even if you have to pay someone a few $ for troubleshooting/testing, it will be more than worth it, since I know I hold my personal time more valuable than a few dollars, especially when frustration comes into the picture.

Honestly it could be several different things, and having a computer repair shop be able to quickly test individual components, swap stuff out, etc is usually a good option when you've reached the point that your at.. ie.- you know what your doing, but it still doesn't work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts