AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,

i am new buyer in receiever and speaker and did few investigations before buying the same.

80% music lestener and 20% movies

types of music: rock,pop,country,metal

room size : 21*16

i finalized 2 configurations as per my budget so pelase let me know which is the right choice and good configuration

1.reciever : onkyo tx nr 609

front tower speaker : boston acoustic A360

sub: boston acoustic asw650

2. reciever : onkyo tx nr708

3.reciever : onkyo tx nr 609

front tower speaker : monitor audio m6

option 1 and 3 is 200 dollars less than second otion so please let me know which one is better and expertise comments please

also let me know if i can switch to denon 2310 as i heared denon is good for music than onkyo.

currently i didnt want to purchase centre and surround due to budget contraint and also i listen to music most often

·
Registered
5,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmemadhans /forum/post/20797238

Hi all ,

i am new buyer in receiever and speaker and did few investigations before buying the same.

80% music lestener and 20% movies

types of music: rock,pop,country,metal

room size : 21*16

i finalized 2 configurations as per my budget so pelase let me know which is the right choice and good configuration

1.reciever : onkyo tx nr 609

2. reciever : onkyo tx nr708

3.reciever : onkyo tx nr 609

front tower speaker : monitor audio m6

option 1 and 3 is 200 dollars less than second otion so please let me know which one is better and expertise comments please

also let me know if i can switch to denon 2310 as i heared denon is good for music than onkyo.

currently i didnt want to purchase centre and surround due to budget contraint and also i listen to music most often

Hi itsmemadhans,

Firstly please note that this thread is supposed to be about sharing pictures of our existing gear, nonetheless since you are just about to purchase your new equipment, here are my thoughts on your choice:

1. Although you did not mention, I suppose you are going to set up your new home theater in a living room (or the like) and not in a dedicated HT room specially made for such purposes.

2. Any room will always benefit from the use of room correction systems, Audyssey on-board is a very good thing to have, but please always stay away from Audyssey 2EQ (Onkyo TX-NR 609), coz this version is a dumbed down version of an otherwise very sophisticated piece of software in our receivers that can do a lot when it comes to room correction. 2EQ does not make corrections in the sub-channel, it was developed by Audyssey Labs against the explicit request of Onkyo so that Onkyo can even enter the absolute low-end market.

The TX-NR 708 seems to be OK since it has a much better version: Audyssey MultEQ (taking care of the sub-channel as well, where most of room anomalies need correction).

Note: if you are not familiar with Audyssey yet, you may regret a choice of 2EQ later on when you begin to get a hang of it. You have been warned!

3. I'd go with the Bostons, they are 8 Ohm speakers compared to the Monitor Audio M6 @ 6 Ohms. Since Onkyos are known to develop heat during operation, higher impedance speakers will have less load on the receiver resulting in less heat, although power output will also be a bit less, but not really noticable. You don't wan't neighbours to call Police, I suppose!

4. And finally I think a perfect combination would be to combine the Bostons with the Denon 2310. Not just because I also have the 2310, but because Denons generate less heat than the Onkyos as reported by Onkyo owners.

5. For more tips & hints you may show some pictures of your room in order to get some ideas on speaker placement and the like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Feri,

thanks for your response ,yes i am going to use in living room..

here are my doubts..

first of all its denon avr 2311 and i mistakenly typed as 2310 ..

by the way i am not aware of audyssey as i am new but from your post i can really understand how important it is and helpful for new entry persons like me ..

i had attached my room pictures in the post ...(front_view.jpg and backview.jpg)

my queries are

1. i had read most of the forums and identified that even onkyo rated 708 nwith 110 watts it is able to deliver atleast 100 watts in stereo mode..but denon 2311 even ratedits amp output as 105 it delivers very less power to speaker approx 70 to 80 watts at stereo mode is it true?is onkyo delivers mode power to speakers than denon?also onkyo as preout which helps for future upgrade with amps but denon doesnt have preout..

2. Also denon avr 2311 doesnt have network feature so it is drawback as we cannot update firmware later if needed..is it a big drawback..

also boston A250 has 2 mid range 51/2 inch drivers and boston A360 has 2 61/2 driver and one 31/2 driver, so for stereo music which tower speakers is better as both woofers drivers are made of same material..is 2 way speaker or 3 way makes different in music listeners?

sorry if my question is like layman question as i am new in this ..

3. Also the shop where i enquired for denon gave me an offer that if i buy denon avr2311 with mordant short aviano 6 tower speaker then the price of aviano 6 is reduced by 100 dollars which makes aviano6 at the same price as boston acoustic A360 price.

so is it a good deal as aviano 6 is having 2 -61/2 CPC aluminium mid/bass driver than normal polymer driver used in bostonwith 2-61/2 driver and one 31/2 mid driver .but also i heared that this aluminium speaker which is of british orgin is not good for my type of music as it is good for clear voice and not for rock kindof music listeners..please comment on this ..

note: mostly i will be using my laptop and ipod to connect to av reciever for music listening.

audiophiles please comment as i am planning to buy the system within couple of days...

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Onkyo, yes, run warm (the X08).

The new X09 have fans and a new design and consequently run quite a bit cooler. Another receiver to add to your list is the HT RC370(essentially the 709-lite). From Newegg and Amazon it is $530. It is EASILY worth the extra money.

I would take it over the 708.

Onkyo also handles "lower than 8 ohms" better than Denon.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by your "audiophile" comment above... You have asked for opinions and you've got a few good ones.

Here is some really good "audiophile" advice: no person has listened to every possible combination of speakers and components, and our tastes vary quite a bit, so you have to do a lot of listening yourself and decide what you like best.

Having owned Monitor Audio speakers and Onkyo receivers, I can tell you that they match up pretty well, especially if you use Onkyo's Pure Audio mode. The GR20 model I have can handle any type of music superbly, including rock and heavy metal. Also, like schan1269 said, Onkyo has absolutely no problem handling 6 ohm speakers. My 805 can drive my 4 ohm Sonus Fabers with ease. As far as heating is concerned, yes the Onkyo's can run a bit on the warm side but this absolutely will not affect either the longevity of the product or the performance. Whoever complains about the Onkyo's running hot please do yourself a favor and check out a Plinius, Pass or other uber expensive amps.

Regards,

Audiophilus emeritus ddgtr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts