AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just bought a buttkicker and amp. I want to mount it under my sofa.

Would I get more effect mounting it sideways? Could I damage the kicker using it sideways?

Do you have any recommendations for direct mounting under a sofa. Or some pictures showing the mount.

I also need to get isolators. Are the official isolators the best ones?

Thank you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes I believe it could wear out prematurely if mounted sideways. They work best mounted vertically. Due to the gravity the moving mass inside would be creating more friction on one side than the other if mounted sideways. I guess in time that could result in something akin to piston slap.

Isolating feet help by allowing the sofa to respond more easlly to the shaking. They do help but I am not sure by how much. Just a guess but I'd say 25%.

I have the smaller BK ones. These are quite soft. I have never experimented with any others.

You could always try without and buy them later. A side effect of using isolating feet is that the sofa will then also respond more easilly to an adjacent persons fidgeting too.

From my own experiences with a Quake and from what I have read about Buttkickers direct mounting is best.

edited to add......

I read the LFE manual and it seems that its true that BK's are not are the best horizontally mounted but no harm should come to it according to the manual. Earhtquake do not claim the same for the mechanically simliar Quake 10b transducer!

Here's the LFE manual so you can read for your self: See page 10.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/downloa...User_Guide.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts