AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and have the following problem. I connected my laptop to my 65" sharp LCD via HDMI.

I set the resolution on the laptop to 1920 x 1080 and the desktop is bigger than the screen, half of the taskbar if cut off as well as the sides of the screen. Can anyone help me.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It is overscanning. Look for a setting in your TV picture menu to Just scan or dot for dot to turn off the overscan and get 1:1 pixel mapping. If you can't find it post TV and laptop specs?

BB

·
Registered
498 Posts
find out what kind of video card you have in your laptop. either way you should be able to rightclick your desktop and find the video card settings menu. Within this menu will be options and settings to adjust your desktop so it fits in your TV.

Also, I always suggest that if you're hooking your computer up to an HDTV that you download the latest drivers for you video card. Find the make and model of your video card and go to the manufacturer's website to get the newest drivers.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Many graphic card manufacturers never update the drivers for their cards. You are better off getting the latest drivers for their cards by going to the Website of the manufacturer of the chip used on the card such as Nvidia.com or ATI.com. Also this is why you should never accept graphic card driver updates from MS Winupdate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, it is a Sharp Aquous 65SE94U if you can tell me how to adjust those settings that would be great, incidentally I noticed when I am watching sattelite TV on some commercials there are white jittery pixels on the top and sometimes the bottom of the screen (only like 1/4 " wide or so).

The graphics are Nvidia in a Sony Z790DnD laptop with HDMI output.

All suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
The graphics are Nvidia in a Sony Z790DnD laptop with HDMI output.

The laptop has Nvidia 9300M graphics.

I did this for a friend a few moths ago so I don't know the exact steps but you should be able to get the general idea.

Go into Nvidia's Control Panel and Turn OFF 'Use my display's internal scaling' (can't remember where exactly). Then use the Desktop Resizer function. This shows a screen with four arrows on all four sides. Use these arrows to pull back/extend your desktop size until it fits your TV.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16883000

Using the procedure described by hirent in his post above you need to have a couple of percent of overscan compensation so you need to adjust the diaplay so that you loose a small amount of content.

But isn't that refering to the controls for the video card and not the LCD display??

·
Registered
634 Posts
Forget doing anything with the laptop video as it's the worst way to re-size the desktop and you will not get pixel to pixel match anyway. Read your Sharp manual, you have a good number of zoom functions and one of them is Dot by Dot and that will get rid of the overscan.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppermouse /forum/post/16897542

Ok I will dig out the manual, or download it. I got this as an open box deal and got a really good price, but I think they gave me the wrong manual. Thank you for your advice!

I can check when I get home as I have the a 46" 62U

·
Registered
634 Posts
On mine using the "View Mode" button on the remote will give you the option to go dot by dot. with no overscan.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
HDTVs set and save picture size options such as "dot for dot" separatly for each resolution received over each interface connection since you may want the TV to handle 480i content differently from the way it handles 720p or 1080i content over any single interface connector.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.