AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to buy the new Philips 963SA DVD player and would like to use the p-scan, now my question is how to connect this cable and which to be used.

My pj (Sony vpl-px21) has something call 5BNC input connector and digital RGB input connector (DFP 20-pin, TMDS). The component out from DVD player has only 3 RCA jack, color Red, Blue and Green, but my pj has 5 BNC inputs (namely R/R-Y/PR, G/Y, B/B-Y/PB, SYNC/HD, VD) and without color, so my question are:

1. should I used the digital RGB connector or 5BNC?

2. if I used the 5BNC, do I need to get a cable from 3 RCA to 5BNC? I.e. all 5 BNC need to be used? :confused:

3. or

R/R-Y/PR = red

G/Y = greed

B/B-Y/PB = blue

SYNC/HD = ??

VD = ??

4. what is the RGB connector? are they the same as the one used for computer? But the connector looks different.

5. What is a component cable? Is it coaxial or just normal cable? I was in a Hifi shop (not a supermarket) and asking for a digital coaxial cable, the salesman gave me a normal stereo cable (the red and white cable) and told me that there are the same, just use either one (red or white) is okay, I didn't believe him and didn't buy it, but is he correct?

6. extra question. What is the different between coaxial cable and the normal 75ohms TV cables?

Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My Sharp DW100U has the same set of things, and I had to order a converter - around $200. I was going to pick it up yesterday, but we got a bunch of snow so I didn't go into town...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow blw, thanks for the super fast reply, I saw your reply after editing my post :)

What kind of converter is it? from RCA to BNC? or from 3 RCAs to 5 BNCs?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
R/R-Y/PR = red

G/Y = greed

B/B-Y/PB = blue

You have it exactly correct here. Save yourself some time and aggrivation.

You can get BNC connectors that lock onto the projector and allow you to plug your component cables in. They are about $1.50 each at Radio Shack.

You have the matching pinouts correct above. The other 2 inputs do not need to be used.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ericbres.

Quote:
You can get BNC connectors that lock onto the projector and allow you to plug your component cables in. They are about $1.50 each at Radio Shack.
But would it be possible to get cable with RCA at one end and BNC another? I don't like adapter.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yes, I have seen them. I have also seen RGB (computer) to BNC and RGB to Component.

However, I do not believe they are a "stock" item. It would be a custom cable. I see "singles" at Comprehensive ... you could buy 3 and serve the same purpose, thus keeping the adapters out of the equation.

http://www.compvideo.com/compvideo/

** I am under no circumstances recommending or marketing Comprehensive. They just happen to have a picture of the cable! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ericbres.

Had talked to a local HiFi dealer and he said they do make cable for individual customers and I'll ask them to make one for me when I get my new DVD players. (BTW, the DVD player that I'm looking for is out of stock and no one know when it'll be available as it's close to Christmas :( )

Could someone know the answer for the question 4-6? I need to know just incase they make me a normal cable with BNCs connetors instead of a normal component cable (if they are different).

Thanks once again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.