AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an ECP 3101 from Videogon member (Davelr) couple weeks ago. It arrived today thru UPS. The guy repeatedly said I don't have to worry about the shipping damage. But I found out that he used UPS after the shipment is made (he told me he will use Fedex). Anyway, Reading all the horror stories I expected worst but so far it looks like I have minor damage (I hope). I have cracked left side corner, and left side lens damage - ring on the front is almost coming out, one of the tap at rear is broken. And whole lens & crt (red) unit has turned inside. The metal frame holding a circuit for G2 or focus control(?) from top is bent down, And the metal box holding remote is bent also. Check the pictures. Now what do I do? I am afraid that something is broken inside and it becomes a smoking machine as soon as I plug it in. How do I proceed?


Chris


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Hold on to your horses...here comes the UPS bashing thread.


Actually, you probably fared well compared to many of the horror stories. I don't think anything is wrong with the red crt/lens assembly - they are made to toe in. What you need to do now is start going through the pj and check for loose connectors, skewed boards, then visually inspect the crts to make sure there are no cracks (nice fireworks if you turn it on with a cracked crt). After you have made sure all the boards and connectors are set, you have to plug it in, turn it on, and hope for the best.


Oh, by the way, I think I have a lower case half for a ECP projector. Just let me know if you want to replace it (make sure it works, first).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycho
I bought an ECP 3101 from Videogon member (Davelr) couple weeks ago. It arrived today thru UPS. The guy repeatedly said I don't have to worry about the shipping damage. But I found out that he used UPS after the shipment is made (he told me he will use Fedex). Anyway, Reading all the horror stories I expected worst but so far it looks like I have minor damage (I hope). I have cracked left side corner, and left side lens damage - ring on the front is almost coming out, one of the tap at rear is broken. And whole lens & crt (red) unit has turned inside. The metal frame holding a circuit for G2 or focus control(?) from top is bent down, And the metal box holding remote is bent also. Check the pictures. Now what do I do? I am afraid that something is broken inside and it becomes a smoking machine as soon as I plug it in. How do I proceed?


Chris
What does the seller say? If it had been packed properly, it couldn't have gotten damaged like that.......even by UPS. Fedex is NO BETTER if not packed right.


The mystery here is that UPS has a maximum weight of 70 pounds, which the projector really exceeds BEFORE packing, so it couldn't have been packed very well.


If the seller leaves you in a lurch or now doesn't respond to you, post his name here so he can't screw anyone else. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
The mystery here is that UPS has a maximum weight of 70 pounds, which the projector really exceeds BEFORE packing, so it couldn't have been packed very well.
I thought UPS max weight limit is 70kg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,034 Posts
They raised it to around 110lbs. If that's 70kg's I don't know.


FEDEX would have been a better choice by far but I disagree about it being guaranteed to survive either way no matter how well packed. Even if it were crated in solid foam they could both break it. UPS can break anything that is for damn sure!


Insurance on this is worthless btw, they will deny any claim.


Just fix it and consider yourself lucky. The seller should bear your parts cost though I would think, which for ecp parts should be really low anyway.


I think I just threw away a box with those parts you needed. :(

The tube alignment is just knocked a bit off, doesn't look broken.


Troy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema
They raised it to around 110lbs. If that's 70kg's I don't know.


FEDEX would have been a better choice by far but I disagree about it being guaranteed to survive either way no matter how well packed. Even if it were crated in solid foam they could both break it. UPS can break anything that is for damn sure!


Insurance on this is worthless btw, they will deny any claim.


Just fix it and consider yourself lucky. The seller should bear your parts cost though I would think, which for ecp parts should be really low anyway.


I may have those parts if I haven't already tossed that box. The tube alignment is just knocked a bit off, doesn't look broken.


Troy
Troy,


I said 70 POUNDS, not 70Kg's, that's the weight limit for UPS and Fedex. If you're a commercial shipper, I think they will take 130 pounds, but that would STILL be over with proper packaging.


Fedex has a freight company, but they're WAY too expensive. I had a new D50 shipped to me from Indiana and it cost me $273 and that was BEFORE they raised all they rates.


Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
I said 70 POUNDS, not 70Kg's, that's the weight limit for UPS and Fedex. If you're a commercial shipper, I think they will take 130 pounds, but that would STILL be over with proper packaging.
Ok, I guess then the weight limit is different for private persons. We had the 70 kg weight limit in a company that I worked, but that was naturally commercial shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniH
Ok, I guess then the weight limit is different for private persons. We had the 70 kg weight limit in a company that I worked, but that was naturally commercial shipping.
Here is the weight limit from UPS:


Weight and Size Limits for Packages


UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages that you send with all UPS services. The restrictions below only pertain to individual packages. There are no limits to the total weight of your shipment or the total number of packages in your shipment.


Packages can be up to 150 lbs (70 kg)

Packages can be up to 165 inches (419 cm) in length and girth combined

Packages can be up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length

Packages that weigh more than 70 lbs (31.5 kg, 25 kg within the EU) require a special heavy-package label

Oversize packages and packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations


The limits listed above apply to most packages and destinations, but there are some variances because of different local restrictions in some countries. Please contact UPS for more details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycho
I bought an ECP 3101 from Videogon member (Davelr) couple weeks ago. It arrived today thru UPS. The guy repeatedly said I don't have to worry about the shipping damage. But I found out that he used UPS after the shipment is made (he told me he will use Fedex). Chris
that's really a bummer to hear. Rummy should know better than to ship UPS since he's been posting here a long time under various names. It seems like he wasn't honest about how he was going to ship either? That's too bad, I'm not sure what posesses some people to do things they know will cause problems? :( hopefully he offers to make things right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keith. Thanks for the offer but unless it is on pallet and crated I won't take it



It came with cardboard box with doubled 2" styrofoam all around. But

it looks like it was handled bad by UPS. The foam covered front side has heavy indentation of lense (red tube side is cracked with impact, see the picture). I still don't understand how do they do this. Don't they know how to use hand truck for heavy item like this? Anyway, it came with heavy item yellow tag saying 117 lbs. But strangely,it says 50 lbs on the label. Fedex might have been the same but if he told me he will use UPS, I probably did not go thru with the deal.


I haven't contact the seller because I am not sure yet it will work or not. But I remind this forum members that if the seller claims that he uses UPS (or Fedex) and use custom box with foam and never had problem, forget it even if it looks good deal, unless you can pick up locally. I was tempted by minty tubes and am paying the price.



So far, I have straightened the frame that holding focus board and remote box. And cleaned lense but could not fix the ring because it is too much bent and doesn't fit right anymore. Cleaned top cover and vacumned inside. Realigned red tube assembly. I haven't noticed any leak or crack from the tubes. I am visually checking the board inside and no cracked board yet. I will probably fire it up tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
Don't be too quick to discount the insurance. I shipped a $1,200 receiver with UPS and it arrived at the buyer's damaged. UPS insurance paid without any problems at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2
Don't be too quick to discount the insurance. I shipped a $1,200 receiver with UPS and it arrived at the buyer's damaged. UPS insurance paid without any problems at all.
In order to collect on damage insurance on a declared item with UPS, you MUST hold ALL the packing material so they can "inspect it" when they come around. If it hasn't been packed according to their rules, you won't get anything from them.


However, it still should be reported as soon as possible.


Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema
Insurance on this is worthless btw, they will deny any claim.
Not true. They've broken a lot of my stuff and paid for all of it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul
Not true. They've broken a lot of my stuff and paid for all of it!
You're very lucky, but it depends on the specifics. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I powered up after checking all boards but It did not power up. I tried several times but still nothing. For a moment, I thought I got a parts machine :( But after checking ECP information, I found why. I had to hold the power button couple of seconds to power up! Finally, it powered up and all lights are green on back panel. I did hard reset, guided setup and quick convergence. I tried dvd thru s-video and HDTV thru RGBHV and all works. I found some minor (I hope) problems while doing the convergence but It looks like this one will stay with me for a while :D Thanks guys.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycho
Well, I powered up after checking all boards but It did not power up. I tried several times but still nothing. For a moment, I thought I got a parts machine :( But after checking ECP information, I found why. I had to hold the power button couple of seconds to power up! Finally, it powered up and all lights are green on back panel. I did hard reset, guided setup and quick convergence. I tried dvd thru s-video and HDTV thru RGBHV and all works. I found some minor (I hope) problems while doing the convergence but It looks like this one will stay with me for a while :D Thanks guys.


Chris
Good Luck! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
*Your picture showing the "crooked" lenses is called toe in. This is normal/required/adjustable.


* UPS weight limit is 150LB not 70LB.

* I have collected insurance on UPS damage.

* I have had no better luck shipping with FedEX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycho
And whole lens & crt (red) unit has turned inside.


Chris
There is nothing wrong with those lenses/tubes. This is referred to as toe in. You have to do this in order to line up your red and blue with the green lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycho
And the metal box holding remote is bent also"

Chris
Just looked at this picture as well. At first I thought it was normal as certian ECPs have a bend in that section which looks odd. Having looked at it closer I'm now not so sure. Was there damage to the outside top cover?

Unless the top cover was damaged/cracked, it's hard to imagine anything inside inside being bent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strangely, I didn't find any damage on the top cover. But he did not send me any pictures before the shipping so I am not sure what happened. But I was glad that G2 board and remote was not damaged.


Normal toe in? I don't think that is the proper way to do the toe in, at least not according to manual. Hitting the side until cover is cracked and breaking lense ring and one of lense holding tab and pushing the whole assembly while the bolts are tightened? May be you have different kind of projector :D


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycho
Strangely, I didn't find any damage on the top cover. But he did not send me any pictures before the shipping so I am not sure what happened. But I was glad that G2 board and remote was not damaged.


Normal toe in? I don't think that is the proper way to do the toe in, at least not according to manual.


Chris
What the picture shows is normal toe in. I doubt that a hit to the side would push the lens/tube in unless the bolts were not tightened. I've tried to move the lenses when I thought I had loosened the bolts, it's nearly impossible. The lenses would likely break or crack before it would move. There is nothing odd looking about the picture you show. I'm not sure how familiar you are with CRT projectors but the lenses being "crooked" as you put it is normal.


If you bought insurance, I would file a claim, they damaged it. If there was 2" foam around the entire projector than it was packed per UPS guidelines, I've collected from UPS in the past. You just can't take no for an answer. They will cave as long as the projector was packed as you say. As far a FedEx goes, don't fool yourself, They are no better.


Looking at your foam picture, It is clear the box took a hit. You have all the evidence you need as far as I'm concerned. Then again if it's working and you want to live with the damaged corner, so be it.
 
1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top