AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project I'm ready to take on, but before I do, I want to make sure I do things the right way. I recently finished a surround sound setup in my living room, and am now moving to our back porch. I mounted a 50" TV out there and have a pair of JBL Control One all weather speakers just waiting to be used. Here are the issues I'm faced with:

• I need a way to get a cable feed to the back porch without installing another cable box.
  • I currently have a receiver for the surround sound in our living room, but it does not support two zones.
  • The closest room with a cable feed is the master bedroom, but the shared wall is insulated.

I want to do this right, and not just throw something together. The idea is to have something that lasts for years rather than just a season. I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money here, if at all possible. I'm open to any suggestions including selling our existing receiver and purchasing a new one with two zones if that is the best option. Thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
new receiver with 2 zones and dual HDMI outs would probably be the easiest option. How hard will it be to get audio and HDMI from the LR to the porch? If over 35' you may have to look at active HDMI or HDMI over Ethernet. If you run from the MBR i would just get a HDMI splitter for the feed from the cable-box and buy a cheap receiver for powering the sound on the porch instead of the second zone. each option has its advantages/cost +/-.

·
Registered
663 Posts
For ease of operation, locating a small amplifier behind the TV to power the speakers will allow you to retain the use of your TV's remote for volume control. An active splitter/ distribution amplifier for the HDMI out on your MBR cable box will likely cause fewer conflicts with someone wanting to watch a different program in the living room. While you're running your HDMI cable, add a piece of Cat5 or better for an infrared remote repeater, so you change channels from out on the porch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I be worried about housing an amplifier on the back porch? I initially thought of hiding a receiver in the MBR and running the speaker wire through the walls. To be honest, I've never heard of HDMI over ethernet, but being able to control everything from my back porch is ideal.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Research HD Base T to find out about HDMI over ethernet.
Most recievers with the features you are looking for will have an app that will allow you to use a smartphone or tablet to control over a WiFi network. Cablebox will probably require an ir repeater. Your cable co may offer a very basic box called a DTA at a reduced price.

·
Registered
663 Posts
the little digital amplifiers on the market these days are essentially sealed, as they don't need as much heat dissipation as a conventional design. The one's I've seen are only about 1/5" thick , 4-5" wide and 3-4" deep. Easily attached to the wall mounting bracket holding the TV. Hook the analog audio out from your TV and set the amp volume for an absolute max. and never worry about it again. It shouldn't be exposed to any more weather than your TV will be.
Many HDMI over CATx solutions offer remote repeating with them, so the whole thing can be done over 1 cable. There's lots of ways to accomplish what you're after, here are some examples
HDMI/ IR extender http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091401&p_id=10225&seq=1&format=2
HDMI active splitter http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2
small form factor audio amplifier : https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I've learned a ton in the past 24 hours. Thanks to everyone for their help. With such a short distance between the video source and the TV, do I really need hdmi over ethernet? I could get a 25' cable and be able to run it up the wall and over to the porch and still have some slack.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned using HDMI if the distance was under 35', especially with the monoprice Redmere cables. That particular vendor also sell a pair of little dongles that plug in-line with your HDMI cable that will let you piggyback your IR remote control on it as well, so you wouldn't need to run another cable for the repeater by itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't be concerned using HDMI if the distance was under 35', especially with the monoprice Redmere cables. That particular vendor also sell a pair of little dongles that plug in-line with your HDMI cable that will let you piggyback your IR remote control on it as well, so you wouldn't need to run another cable for the repeater by itself.
Awesome! I think this may be able to come together this weekend!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts