AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just purchased the Samsung LN40A550.

The manual says that i need to use HDMI 1.3 cables and devices(dvd players, cable boxes, etc.) that support HDMI 1.3.

How realistic is that statement?

To my knowledge the only device on the market that supports HDMI 1.3 is the Playstation 3.

I need to buy a DVD player that upscales to 1080P, but based on the information in the manual about the HDMI 1.3, i dont know what to do now. I had my eye on the Oppo DV980H but i do not think that it supports HDMI 1.3.

I will quote stright from the manual, page 8.

" The TV may not output sound and pictures may be displayed with abnormal color when DVD players/Cable Boxes/Satellite reveivers supporting HDMI versions older than 1.3 are connected."

"HDMI cables that are not 1.3 may cause annoying flicker or no screen display."

Please, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe /forum/post/14201754

Hi

I just purchased the Samsung LN40A550.

The manual says that i need to use HDMI 1.3 cables and devices(dvd players, cable boxes, etc.) that support HDMI 1.3.

How realistic is that statement?

To my knowledge the only device on the market that supports HDMI 1.3 is the Playstation 3.

I need to buy a DVD player that upscales to 1080P, but based on the information in the manual about the HDMI 1.3, i dont know what to do now. I had my eye on the Oppo DV980H but i do not think that it supports HDMI 1.3.

I will quote stright from the manual, page 8.

" The TV may not output sound and pictures may be displayed with abnormal color when DVD players/Cable Boxes/Satellite reveivers supporting HDMI versions older than 1.3 are connected."

"HDMI cables that are not 1.3 may cause annoying flicker or no screen display."

Please, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

The manual is wrong. SD-DVD players do not use any HDMI 1.3 features. HDMI is always backwards compatible with earlier versions.

-Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts