AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi,

can you please recommend me on a streamer that is around 100$?

I saw the WDTV Live (2011), but some folks said it's slow and stutters on .mkv files.

can you recommend on a one that has support for most of video files and audio formats..maybe a based android one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rikomagic-8GB-Quad-Core-Android-TV-Box-MK902-RK3188-BT-Webcam-support-XBMC-/261347185259?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item3cd981926b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CS918-Quad-Core-Android-4-2-TV-Box-Player-HDMI-1-8GHz-WiFi-1080P-2GB-8GB-EU-Plug-/171197922423?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item27dc30fc77

My needs are -

- SPDIF output

- 1080p support, video files and most audio (DTS..)

- if possible downloading subtitles online, as I will connect my external HDD with no sub.

Thanks,

Yaron.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
WD TV streamer only struggles with higher bitrate, uncompressed BD rips. If yours are 1080p re-encodes, WD TV may be your best option under $100.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer#post_24535624

WD TV streamer only struggles with higher bitrate, uncompressed BD rips. If yours are 1080p re-encodes, WD TV may be your best option under $100.
isn't the android preferred than the WD TV? it has a stronger chipset and more RAM.. or I am missing something?

I also know that on Android I can download subtitles live (as example bs-player..)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
For a few extra dollars, I suggest the Minix X7 or Minix X5 only because the user forum is pretty good with support which is something you will most likely need...Android is still an evolving tech for use as a smart TV. Most of the time the GPU is responsible for decoding the video, and even these quad cores will choke trying to software decode higher res movies, so don't concern yourself as much whether it's dual or quad core CPU. Also, some of these generic Android devices don't have the proper libraries in place to adequately use the GPU for decoding so do some homework to see what other users might be saying regarding the more generic Android devices.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrn11  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer#post_24535791

isn't the android preferred than the WD TV? it has a stronger chipset and more RAM.. or I am missing something?

I also know that on Android I can download subtitles live (as example bs-player..)
I haven't tried the quad-core Android boxes you listed, but I can definitely say WD TV is superior (for video and audio playback) to the Pivos XIOS, the Little Black Box and OUYA boxes I've tried to date. Also, do any of the Android boxes bitstream HD audio? Think they don't.

·
Registered
13,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer/0_100#post_24535624

I guess I would agree with that statement if you said you were trying to stream using a wireless network connection, but not over a wired connection. I have not only the current Live-SMP but also the previous gen Live-plus and have no issues with streaming BD rips with bitrates in excess of 40Mbps from my Media-PC server over a wired connection. Most other people using the Live-SMP would probably agree.

@OP

I would recommend the Live-SMP also. I don't believe there is any player close to it in its price class. It has been reported that some people will have problems with some MKV's -- while others will have no problems with MKV's of the same title -- but that is common to just about all players since no player has a complete implementation of the MKV spec. The resolution to a problem MKV is usually just a remux of the problem file to an .m2ts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, thanks for the info. I've discarded any Android solution for it.

there is also the option of the Apple TV, which is in the same price range, what do say? or putting 100$ more total of 200$ and buy something much better? (such as dune hd tv 303d)

·
Registered
7,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrn11  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer#post_24536396

Ok, thanks for the info. I've discarded any Android solution for it.

there is also the option of the Apple TV, which is in the same price range, what do say? or putting 100$ more total of 200$ and buy something much better? (such as dune hd tv 303d)

If you are only going to play 2D movies Dune or Mede8er are the top two. If you want to play 3D movies then the Mede8er would be best. I have a Dune D1 for 2D and a Sony S5100 for 3D.

·
Registered
13,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer/0_100#post_24536567

If you are only going to play 2D movies Dune or Mede8er are the top two. If you want to play 3D movies then the Mede8er would be best. I have a Dune D1 for 2D and a Sony S5100 for 3D.
Since WD introduced DTS HD bitstreaming with the latest firmware for the Live-SMP I've been looking to see what advantage the $200 Mede8er offers over the $80 Live-SMP for playing 2D BD rips.

I can't see any. Can you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer#post_24536888

Since WD introduced DTS HD bitstreaming with the latest firmware for the Live-SMP I've been looking to see what advantage the $200 Mede8er offers over the $80 Live-SMP for playing 2D BD rips.

I can't see any. Can you?

Hi, I think I'll go ahead an purchase the WD TV live just one question, will it be able to support S/PDIF to external device?

·
Registered
13,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrn11  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer/0_100#post_24537433

Hi, I think I'll go ahead an purchase the WD TV live just one question, will it be able to support S/PDIF to external device?
Yes, but not simultaneously with HDMI audio. In setup you have to choose a single audio path: HDMI only, Optical out only or 2.0 stereo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1524499/help-needed-recommendation-for-100-streamer#post_24537569

Yes, but not simultaneously with HDMI audio. In setup you have to choose a single audio path: HDMI only, Optical out only or 2.0 stereo.

I just saw there is WDTV Play, should I cancel and order that one? it cost 50$ but has no support for DTS and MPEG2

·
Registered
13,359 Posts
No, the Play is a stripped down version intended primarily as a cheap Internet streamer. It's a media player wannabe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts