AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i checked other threads related to this, but couldn't find any good suggestions. I don't have the option of running the wire through a cold air return.

basically here is my problem......i'm trying to run a number of wires / cords through a wall behind my tv in my basement. i don't have surround sound (yet), but will in the near future. I have some rock speakers that are going to be placed in a garden out back, and i want to connect them to my receiver in my basement. I also want to run a cat-5 cable to an adjacent room that houses my router. lastly, i want to run speaker wire once i get speakers.

I have a drop ceiline which should make it pretty easy, however the wall i'm trying to run the wires through has insulation behind it causing me problems. to further compound the issue, at the top of the wall (in the ceiling), there is no gap present where i can very easily slide a snake down/up. I had to drill a small hole through the drywall. the hole is not very big, due to the fact that i am limited in space -- i can only drill between the metal runner that hold the drop ceiling panel and the 2 by 4 that the drywall is nailed to. I hope the picture helps. Basically, when i run the snake down from the hole in the ceiling, i'm running into insulation due to the fact that i can't get the snake to go straight down. It's going in through the hole and pointing away from the drywall. If i could find a way to get the snake to go more straight up and down i think i could get it to run between the back of the drywall and the insulation. Please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a similar situation and wound up pushing my fish tape up through the hole for my wires. Just pushed it up till I hit the 2x4 and then fished the head of the fish tape out with a bit of solid #12 wire. It helps if you have another person to "jiggle" the tape while your probing for it. Hope that helps, that is a tight spot to work with.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 /forum/post/14212991

I had a similar situation and wound up pushing my fish tape up through the hole for my wires. Just pushed it up till I hit the 2x4 and then fished the head of the fish tape out with a bit of solid #12 wire. It helps if you have another person to "jiggle" the tape while your probing for it. Hope that helps, that is a tight spot to work with.

This may be your only option. I can't tell you how many existing room installations I've done where we had to deal with this exactly issue...turns a 10 minute job into a 4-hour nightmare. It's either that or a surface mount, Wiremold type product.

Frank

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help guys...........one follow up question. Would it help at all if i were to cut a larger hole in the wall behind the tv? right now it's probably about 3 inches by 3 inches.........i guess i could go bigger and just get a double size plate to cover it up once i'm done (if i ever get there). I will try to cut a larger hole up top to hopefully make things easier.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie /forum/post/14213413

Would it help at all if i were to cut a larger hole in the wall behind the tv? right now it's probably about 3 inches by 3 inches.........i guess i could go bigger and just get a double size plate to cover it up once i'm done (if i ever get there). I will try to cut a larger hole up top to hopefully make things easier.

Eh...probably wouldn't help much unless there was an obstruction were right there at the top of the original hole you cut. I'd leave it along unless you really have to make it bigger.

Frank

·
Registered
733 Posts
Since you plan on running a number of wires it might be best to future proof the area. Instead of running one wire, try installing a raceway large enough to accomodate all the wires you plan to need. (Perhaps adding a second raceway in case the first isn't big enough.) The downside is that you'd probably have to open up the wall to get it in initially. The other thing to look out for is the firebarrier that might be about halfway up the wall.

Any shot at running the speaker wires under/behind base boards?

A right angle drill could also be a good investment if you need to make a hole or two in tight places.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts