AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My NuVision LCD recently fell victim to a screen impact and is no more. The replacement cost is way to high, and given this screen is only used for movies in a room with decent lighting control, I've decided plasma is probably the way to go.

I don't care about anything except picture quality. 3D, tuners, wireless, Netflix streaming, built in speakers, etc. are all don't cares for me and will never be used. I will only use this device as a monitor - so other than picture control settings, the only "feature" is picture quality. Target size is 50"-58".

Here are some of the sets I'm considering:

Panasonic TH50PF20U - I like the concept of the professional series (no speakers, tuner, etc, just a display), but wonder if I'm paying more for an older spec display. Would these displays be less susceptible to the infamous Panny black degradation issue?

Panasonic TC-P50VT25 - I don't need 3D, but am I really getting a better display with this unit?

Panasonic TC-P54G25 - What am I giving up over the VT25 series image wise (except 3D)? The much lower price on these sets makes me worried I'd be getting a cheap unit. Also noticed several reports of infant mortality with these units - which makes me nervous.

Samsung PN58C6500 - Samsung's best non 3D set. Seems to get good marks, but haven't seen any comparisons with Panasonic..

Are there other units I should consider? I know the Pioneer units are legendary, but probably unobtainable at this time. Oh, source is an OPPO BDP-83 for what ever that's worth. No sat tuners, cable, or broadcast viewing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
777 Posts
TCP54G25 would be my pic.Nice screen size.Slightly smaller than 58.Sams PQ as the VT but non 3d. If 50 is big enough then go with a TCP50G20/25 and then you get a swivel base too.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I am in similar situation..trying to decide between the Panny G25, VT 25 or a Samsung UN55c7000 (LED TV). Want around 55''. Not too excited about 3D yet. Is the PQ on VT25 way better than G25?

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you "don't care about anything but picture quality" , well, you still can't beat the Pioneers, and they're not completely unobtainable yet.

I haven't seen any authoritative remarks on whether 2010 professional Panasonic plasmas are susceptible to the rising black problem. I *do* know the 2008 professional models were an exception to the problem, ie they were *not* vulnerable to rising blacks, so that's a promising sign.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you want 3D but don't want to spend the money look at the Panny GT25. Same as the G25 but with 3D and a lot less money than the VT. I can't say that I've actually seen one though. Best Buy doesn't have them, nor does J&R, at least not in NYC.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster /forum/post/0

If you want 3D but don't want to spend the money look at the Panny GT25. Same as the G25 but with 3D and a lot less money than the VT. I can't say that I've actually seen one though. Best Buy doesn't have them, nor does J&R, at least not in NYC.

Brought a 55'' Samsung home last week to get an idea about size/quality. Looks like I need a 58''. Is tcp58s2 any good? Got that at a great price at sears. Have not picked it up yet. Can't justify the VT25 for 58 and there is no 58'' in G25 series. Thoughts on S2 series?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts