AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are building a house and I am trying to figure out where I need to put wiring. I'd rather add it now rather than later. The room is ~14'6"x19'. My wife would not let up on the windows on the sides as she sees it as a game room rather than a theater, whatever, I can deal with that I think. We won't have the money right away for theater components so that isn't an issue yet however I plan on putting the components under the screen up front in a base cabinet.

My questions if anyone can help:

Is it best to plan for in wall speakers or normal speakers?

Is this room large enough for side speakers or is 5.1 enough?

I have an outlet in the ceiling just behind the barrel dome which is ~17' from the wall. Is this too far for a projector?

If I only do 5.1, how far back should the rear speakers be? Against the back wall or more to the side?

The doors are 8', if I do put the rears at the back wall, will that be too high (it's a 10' ceiling)?

What wires should I run from the front wall (components) to the projector? RG6, Cat6, HDMI etc

·
Registered
588 Posts
Normal speakers are more economical if you are looking for a certain sound quality level. in my limited experience, i found that a good in wall speaker cost is 150 to 200 percent premium for comporable standard speaker. I started with on wall speakers and then upgraded to "high quality" in-wall a few years later. This helped with WAF in the long run if this is a multi purpose room.

Regarding 5.1 surround, typically the surrounds are set at the sides, not the rears. I prefer to have the surrounds at least 4' away from the LP.

Screen to PJ distance of 17' seems far to me. I would think you would want to be around 11 to 13 feet due to image brightness and PJ throw

1 - 2 of 2 Posts