Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

HEre is what I did:

1) Installed dish to lock onto 61.5. Dish has dual LNB.

2) Installed DSA8900E dish to lock onto 101 and 119.

3) Fed the two lines from the 101 LNB to the 101 inputs on the 8900 switch.

4) Fed the two lines from the 119 LNB to respective 13v and 18v inputs on a Channel Master powered multiswitch.

5) Fed the 4 outputs of Channel Master multiswitch in the following manner:

a) 2 outputs go to the 119 inputs on the 8900 switch.

b) 1 output goes into a SW21 switch along with run number 1 from the 61.5 dual LNB.

c) 1 output is currently not in use, but will go to another SW-21 switch to join with the other run number 2 from the 61.5 dual LNB (this run is not in use yet, and line number 2 is not connected to its slot on the 61.5 dual LNB).

6) Fed one output of 8900 switch to a Directv RCA-DTC100 receiver

7) Fed the output of the running SW21 switch configuration to a Dish N. 5000 receiver.

8) Connected modulator to the 5000 data port.

9) Connected output of modulator to Antenna B on DTC-100. Antenna A takes the output of a Channel MAster UHF/VHF antenna for OTA.

Now, I make sure I have locked onto all three sats. 101 and 119 are confirmed using the DTC-100. And so is 61.5 using the 5000. Meter strenghts are in the 90 range.

Then I select the HDTV demo channel on 61.5 and switch the RCA to Antenna B.

Here is what I am getting:

As I select the demo channel, there is a screen that tells me that the 61.5 sat does not have a lock. The Channel MAster Multiswitch goes into a constant chirping mode (switching back and forth totry and find a lock). I cannot get a lock and I am forced to press cancel to stop the switch from churning away. In the meantime, of course, the RCA displays a black screen with the "weak" word written on it.

All dignals from 101 and 119 work fine. Both for Directv and Dish N.

What am I doing wrong? Can you pretty please help? :)

Thanks much,

Luca

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If I'm reading you correctly you're feeding both of the 119 lnb outputs into the DirecTv multiswitch. You cant do that. If one of the 119 lnb outputs is to be used with Dish Network, you run the feed directly to the SW21, not through the DirecTv switch first. Then connect the output from 61.5 to the other input on the SW21. And then from the SW21 to the Dish 5000.

In other words, the direct run from the 119 lnb for Dish must bypass all of the DirecTv switches.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Have you gone into the setup menu of the 5000 to establish the multiswitch arrangement? This always has to be done when you change configurations.

Menu -> System Setup -> Installation -> Multi-dish install -> Check switch -> Check

After waiting for it to complete testing all transponders, you should get the "Installation Summary" which shows three sets of odd/even satellite inputs, and the status should show "satellite reception verified". Push the OK button and exit out of the setup.

Note that this multiswitch setup replaces the Dish 500 setup, when you are using three satellites instead of two (which you might have been using before adding 61.5 to your setup). You no longer use the "Dish 500" setup. You now use "Multi-dish" setup.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Ok, I was able to get a lock on 61.5. I found out that apparently you can't use a Twin LNB along with any switches, as the LNB already contains an internal multiswitch which must be connected directly to receiver. Since I need to use switches for my config, I am out of luck with that. So I went back to a single output LNB. And now I get the dreaded lock just fine.

Soooo, I now need to figure out why I am not getting an HD picture from 61.5 through my DTC-100. I can get as far as seeing the HD channels on the guide. That's it. No picture. I did select channel 3 as HD output channel on the 5000 menu setup. And I have the output from the modulator connected to Ant-A input on the RCA. What do I do next? I thought I would just have to select channel 3 on Ant-A and the RCA would see the HD from the 5000. Is this not correct? I am certainly missing something. Can you help? Is the HD demo channel on 24/7? Maybe I am not seeing anything because there is nothing on now?

Dumbfounded.

Thanks,

Luca

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by propeller_beach
What am I doing wrong?
Have you checked your setup against the following 8A/8B schematics?

Hybrid satellite configurations

8A/8B utilize the SW64, not SW21. But perhaps something on this site will be applicable to your situation.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
D,

Did that. Check went through fine this time. As I say above, I am getting all sats with a loud and clear lock.

Dan,

I am running the two 119 feeds into the Channel Master Multiswitch, NOT the 8900 DTV switch. It is from the CM switch that I then go ahead and split a 119 line for the SW-21. I need to do this cause I want to also get the DTV HD feeds off 119 sat.

Thanks,

Luca

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
D,

Funny you should bring up that link. I am using EXACTLY the 6B config. Note that I don't want/need to get anything from Dish 110.

Thanks,

Luca

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
6B doesn't pick up 110. That's of course not the same as my SW64 setup for 110/119/61.5 (which does not involve any DirectTV source, but is pure Dish).

So I'm not sure how the "Multi-dish" setup will deal will the absence of 110, or whether it will be happy. Seems like that should be safe, though.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I should in theory be safe. As long as the guy who did those diagrams did them right, of course.

I take a guess and say that I am messing something up in the modulator/channel 3/ RCA setup. Is my theory correct on that I should just be able to see the HD from 61.5 on the RCA just by selecting channel 3 from the Ant-A channel list?

Luca

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Soooo, I now need to figure out why I am not getting an HD picture from 61.5 through my DTC-100. I can get as far as seeing the HD channels on the guide. That's it. No picture. I did select channel 3 as HD output channel on the 5000 menu setup. And I have the output from the modulator connected to Ant-A input on the RCA. What do I do next? I thought I would just have to select channel 3 on Ant-A and the RCA would see the HD from the 5000. Is this not correct?
Seems like you did everything right. Of course I have a Panasonic DST50, not a DTC100, so I can't comment on the other end of your arrangement.

Did you enter some arbitrary "manufacturer's code" for your HDTV in the 5000 HDTV setup, along with selecting channel 3? This is pretty much worthless as they support almost no TV's, so I've put in "700" although it is really meaningless.

Do you have an OTA input to the modulator? Have you gone into the "Add local channel" dialog of the System Setup menu? Can you pass through any of these local DTV channels out the modulator and on to the DTC100?

Remember that local channels are tuned by the DTC100 with their true DTV channel numbers, as they are passed through the modulator in 8VSB. They do not come out as channel 3. Channel 3 is only for Dish-provided HD channels, which are tuned by the 5000 and come out as channel 3. All local OTA DTV channels (when selected on the 5000) come out as 8VSB, exactly with their local DTV channel number.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi D,

Yes!!! Success!!! Apparently, having to input a manufacturing code in the 5000 is required for some reason (I tried any number, but settled for your 700). Must be that the IRD needs to have a code in there to be able to send anything out. Can't leave it blank.

So I went in and added my local OTA HD channels to the 5000 guide. Then I select the channel through the same guide (by inputing its number and pressing OK). I then go back to my RCA and select the same channel number for the local channel. And I am finally able to get a signal displayed. The same is true for all the other OTA channles. Ditto for any HD through Dish N. on channel 3 on the RCA.

Just a minor note: The HD Demo channel's reception seems to be very weak. I have only been able to get a lock only once.

D, thank you very much for the help given!!!!!!!!! :)

Luca

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Yes!!! Success!!! Apparently, having to input a manufacturing code in the 5000 is required for some reason (I tried any number, but settled for your 700). Must be that the IRD needs to have a code in there to be able to send anything out. Can't leave it blank.

So I went in and added my local OTA HD channels to the 5000 guide. Then I select the channel through the same guide (by inputing its number and pressing OK). I then go back to my RCA and select the same channel number for the local channel. And I am finally able to get a signal displayed. The same is true for all the other OTA channles. Ditto for any HD through Dish N. on channel 3 on the RCA.
Excellent! Welcome to the club. I didn't realize some non-blank manufacturer code for your TV was required in order to get reception, I was just checking to be sure you had a setup that looked like my working setup. But so be it, if it's necessary.

As far as adding local OTA DTV channels, note that it is NOT required for you to tune the 5000 to that channel in order be able to then tune your DTC100 to that same channel. Tuning the 5000 to ANY of your defined local OTA DTV channels places the receiver/modulator in "pass-thru mode" with your off-air antenna being simply sent out the "DTV OUT" connector on the modulator for subsequent actual tuning by the DTC100.

So it really isn't necessary for you to add every one of your local OTA DTV channels (unless you want to be able to see the off-air primetime guide, or the channel names, etc.) in order to use your DTC100 properly. Simply adding one OTA DTV channel, and tuning to it on the 5000, would be sufficient to then allow you to tune the DTC100 to ANY OTA DTV channel you are capable of receiving.

Now I myself have added all local channels to my 5000 setup, because I like to be able to see what channel I've tuned to when I set Timer Events (for recording on my Panasonic DST50/PVHD100). It helps my brain keep things straight when setting the matching Timer Events on the DST50. But in theory, you only need to tune the 5000 to some OTA DTV channel (to trigger pass-thru mode) to facilitate being able to tune your STB (for watching or Timer Events) to ANY DTV channel.

But when I'm just watching local OTA DTV and not recording through a Timer Event, I just tune the 5000 to some local DTV channel and forget about it. The rest of my local OTA DTV surfing is done using the tuner on my DST50.

As far as the demo channel signal strenth (transponder 08 on 61.5), I get 86 here in Marina Del Rey CA. I'm actually supposed to be looking at 148 for my location here on the Left Coast but I prefer Eastern time zone show times (and the availability of the demo channel). Fortunately my location has no obstructions looking to 61.5, and I am high enough up to be able to aim to that bird even though it is quite low on the horizon from here.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again very much!

Does it help if I manually select transponder 08 on 61.5 for the demo channel? I wonder why I have only been able to get a lock on it once. Of course I can't test it again til tonight as the demo channel begins at 8pm, I take. I hope that when I subscribe to HBOHD and SHOHD today, I will not have the same problem and the channels will come through just fine.

Regards,

Luca

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Does it help if I manually select transponder 08 on 61.5 for the demo channel?
You don't actually select the transponder, and you have no control over it. When you tune to any channel the 5000 selects the appropriate transponder for that channel automatically. And this includes channels carried on 61.5.

As far as the demo channel, I believe it is 24/7. I don't know if it is limited in some way if you haven't notified Dish that you have an HD setup, but I wouldn't have thought so. I would have thought it's like their other preview channels and is open to all. But for sure I can't imagine its signal strength could be affected by "authorization".

You definitely should call Dish and let them know you now can receive the HD channels on 61.5 and that you have a 5000 receiver.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi D,

Called Advanced technical support at Dish N. and after almost one full hour of trying different things to no avail, he cconcluded that it may be my Powered Multiswitch that is making the signal weak since it is splitting the 119 signal for DTV and Dish use. Don't know if that is right or not, but after being on the phone for that long, I pretty much took that on faith. I do remember coming across a post where someone said he was using an inline amp from Radio Shack to boost the signal. I don't know if he had the same problem/configuration as I have and was using it for that reason, but could that help perhaps?

Thanks,

Luca

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
But the demo channel is on 61.5, not 119.

Assuming the 5000 is operational with only one satellite input, why don't you just connect the 61.5 to it (leave off 119), re-setup "multi-dish" in the Setup menu so that it knows it's only got 61.5, and see what happens.

But I honestly would think that aiming the 61.5 dish correctly could be the only thing which would affect signal strength on 61.5 channels.

As far as amplifiers go, I have no personal experience.

What about your SW21 as being a possible "culprit"? I used to use a SW42 when I had just a Dish 500, and went to a SW64 (powered) when I added 61.5. I've never used a SW21. But since it's the only thing between your 61.5 and receiver (according to the 6B diagram) perhaps it is suspect.

Again, how about trying to connect just the 61.5 dish to your receiver... no SW21, no 119 from the 8900. Let's see if that flies, and what signal strength you get.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Allright!!! Success again! Yes, yes, yes!!! :)

D,

Running the 61.5 direct did not result in any change. I was beginning to loose hope, but I thought I'd try one more thing, which I had not really thought of all along. And that is to unplug the modulator and plug it back in, just to perhaps force a reset. Now, I have no idea why the modulator woud need a reset, but hey...it worked! :) The demo channel comes in clear now.

I hope that nothing would cause it to need a reset again. Oh well, we'll see.

On to ShOHD and HBOHD now.

Thanks D, for sticking with me til the end of this mess!!!

Happy as a clam,

Luca

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, this thing is acting up again. Sorry to butt in again. This thread doesn't seem to want to die.

I get a lock and then I loose it. It's constant. Never the local channels though. Which makes me mad because I now think that Dish maybe sending a random signal (?) to my 5000 to deactivate the modulator every now and then.

The only thing that will restore all to working condition is to either unplug the modulator or unplug the receiver, causing a reset. Pretty frustrating.

D, or others, if you still feel like offering suggestions, please do. I have exhausted my patience.

Thanks again.

Luca

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.