AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am also in the midst of designing my HT room downstairs for my HS20. I was thinking of projecting a 133" (115" x 65") screen in my HT room. I have no idea on how to calculate how far away the projector needs to be. Also, I noticed the picture is smaller than I thought it would be until I use the zoom of the HS20 to max. Is that likely to create more distortion at higher screen sizes?

I have an HT room that is 34' x 13' 9". (but I have pinballs at the back of the room, so only have a seating area of 25'. I am hoping that you folks have some advice on how to do the calcs and/or what pitfalls I should be aware of. I was also thinking of starting the seating at 12' and going for 3 rows.

Also, I am now read for screens and a mounting kit.

Any help from those knowledgeable folks?

Thanks Gang

A

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
hs20 throwing distance is different for dvi/hdmi inputs and analog last time i read, please verify this with HS20 owner if you have not decided which connection to go with. If i am not mistaken, you need approximately 12" further back to give same screen size with DVI/HDMI compare to analog. anyone??

If i have whole space like you to start with, trash the pinballs machine :D or move the darn thigie. i won't enjoy much of HT from 12' for SS 133''. I rather stand far back or go movie next street. it's not enjoyable at least not for me....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by zeroendless
hs20 throwing distance is different for dvi/hdmi inputs and analog last time i read, please verify this with HS20 owner if you have not decided which connection to go with. If i am not mistaken, you need approximately 12" further back to give same screen size with DVI/HDMI compare to analog. anyone??

If i have whole space like you to start with, trash the pinballs machine :D or move the darn thigie. i won't enjoy much of HT from 12' for SS 133''. I rather stand far back or go movie next street. it's not enjoyable at least not for me....
Do you say this because at 12' you see too many artifact for your liking? I thought that if 12' provided a good picture, it would be great because it would fill most of a person's sight. I also do have planned 3 rows, so once I get back to the third row, I am roughly at the 25' mark.

Getting rid of the pinballs is not really an option unfortunately (only so much room :)

Cheers

Calvin

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Most of the cons from LCD will be less visible for one, even the PQ, black level… but mostly it’s depend on viewer and I’m not gonna talk about those, That's not my point

The reason i went for PJ is to get quality big screen without paying much compare to Rear projection or plasma. We want to blow it up big since it's a projector right. Besides, it’s a good excuse to get approval from wifie, they can't refuse 3 x plasma cheaper and twice bigger PJ. I have the same thought when first set it up except I don’t have a wife:D. I first have it at 102" with 12" viewing distance but soon came to me as bigger is not always better, (i know the girls aren't agreed with this :D) The SDE, artifact doesn't bother the AE500 from 12" but there was something missing there comparing to smaller SS, the black level, color and PQ degraded and I got bit of eyestrain after a movie or two. it's kinda big for my viewing pleasure, may be not for some people but who want to have front seats in "the" movie theater?? not even the first 20 rows because our eyes work harder to perceive bigger images from normal distance, imagine put your eyes to limited on ROTR the return of the kings for 3+ hours. Will you enjoy it??? No, it sucks. That’s why we line up early to get better seating.

I struggled with the same question when setting up my PJ, shrank it to 92â€, it’s ok but …… still missing the joys. I soon moved the whole system to bigger living room and now have viewing distance of 16’ and very happy with the result from 92†SS. It’s 3x SS what I used to have, how big do you want? Some might disagree with this, what’s the point to get PJ if not supersized it?? . I read 150†from 12’ on Z2 before and the owner is very pleased with the PQ, who cares as long as he is happy.

Most of budget HT builder doesn't have much choice when it comes to space. I for once suffered from that, but yet they want the SS beyond recommended viewing distance and complaint about PQ. I am not pointing at you :D, claim bro. I read your question and frankly I just brought up the point of SS vs viewing distance, Yours are fine and got pretty roomie there, it’s just the front row have to give up a little if moving that bing ding is not an option. Put the kids up front and I don’t think they care if Nemo is 50 inches bigger :D.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zeroendless

The throw distance is the same for every input -- with one exception. If you use a DVI/HDMI player and want to get 1:1 pixel mapping, you will need to choose (1280 x) 720 resolution. This will create small black frame around the native 1388x768 picture. But, you can zoom the picture out to fill the edges of the screen. If you are so close that the PJ is already completely zoomed @ it's mounting distance, you will need to move it back about a foot to fill the screen.

I will have seating as close as 8' for a 100" screen. I think zeroendless makes some good points but some people (like me) do like to sit closer. I prefer sitting about 1/3 back at a theatre and I think my closest seating will push that a little -- but not by much. And, kids do like it. Since you'll have 2 more rows further back, I can't see your screen size will be a problem.

One thing you may not have considered. To me, it seems like a larger screen puts out more light. IOW, more reflective surface translates to a larger light source back into the room. So, not only will the brightness intensity (contrast) begin to fade, but your room will get brighter and brighter -- as you go bigger. I'm not telling you to avoid going big, I'm suggesting that ambient light control will become more important as you increase screen size. Just make sure you have dark walls (ceiling and floors too if possible).

Finally, the Dalite rep recommends going with a High Power screen for anything much over 110". That should recover any lost depth.

gp

·
Registered
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
I will have seating as close as 8' for a 100" screen.
Could you, and eveyrone else, specify screen sizes as being measured diagonal or width? Makes for less confusion. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.